• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
Also for other users that have said "Swim Swim had to be killed", that again is incorrect. Ripple could have gone with the alternate of using the flash-bang to knock her unconscious and then tie her up and confiscate her magical phone, destroy Fa'v and then the Land of Magic (LoM) would come in and take care of the rest, most likely erasing Swim Swim's memoires of being a Magical Girl and going back to her normal daily life. Whilst its understandable that Ripple is enraged that her mentor figure Top Speed was stabbed in the back in front of her eyes, it still doesn't excuse her of continuing the death game in order to murder a 7 year old little girl and if this was reality, she would be serving at least a 10 year prison sentence.

Wait, what? Ripple could have done WHAT? That... no. In case you missed it, Swim-Swim cost Ripple her eye, and then chopped off one of her arms after she started getting serious (apparently Swim-Swim had some delusion that she could make Ripple one of her followers). After that, Ripple was dying. And it was only after that lightning flash that Ripple figured out Swim-Swim's weakness. She could barely see. She was losing blood fast. Knock her out with a flash-bang? Are you for real? You think Ripple was thinking about turning Swim-Swim over to the cops? Ha. Yeah... no. Ripple did what she had to do, IMO. I don't see how Ripple, being who she is, and dealing with things the way they went down, could've acted any differently and survived (barely) that battle.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Tuor wrote:
Knock her out with a flash-bang? Are you for real?

Why is this a strange suggestion to you? It's literally what she does in the finale - she knocks Swim Swim out with a flash-bang stick-thing, and Swim Swim reverts to her human form, unconscious. All that would have been necessary for Ripple to carry out Junko's suggestion at that point would've been tying Swim Swim up and dealing with F'av.

I think it can be debated what the right course of action is, but I don't see how it can be disputed that Junko's proposal was perfectly feasible for Ripple to pull off.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
No point in tying up Swim Swim considering what her ability is.

Junko666 wrote:
then the Land of Magic (LoM) would come in and take care of the rest, most likely erasing Swim Swim's memoires of being a Magical Girl and going back to her normal daily life.

Did I miss something? Why would the magic world people come and take away Swim Swim's magical girl powers?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking there was some kind of action the girls needed to take in order to transform (hence the tying up of Swim Swim might have seemed sensible, if it could stop her from taking that action & transforming), but I'm not confident about that, particularly since Snow White is still shown transforming after she destroyed her F'av communicator-console.

edit: .. although, on second thought, is she actually shown transforming? It occurs to me that after she destroyed her console, the next thing we hear is that she's run away from home and is not seen again by her friends or family. Does she become a magical girl permanently because she can't transform or un-do the transformation without her console?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting question as to whether Snow White can transform any more without her magical phone. I don't think we have been given enough information to know either way.

I also accept the interpretation that Ripple did not realize Swim Swim was as young as she was until after she was dead, given the conditions at the time.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I was thinking there was some kind of action the girls needed to take in order to transform (hence the tying up of Swim Swim might have seemed sensible, if it could stop her from taking that action & transforming), but I'm not confident about that, particularly since Snow White is still shown transforming after she destroyed her F'av communicator-console.

edit: .. although, on second thought, is she actually shown transforming? It occurs to me that after she destroyed her console, the next thing we hear is that she's run away from home and is not seen again by her friends or family. Does she become a magical girl permanently because she can't transform or un-do the transformation without her console?

I believe as with Cranberry, once you become an official magical girl, you are permanently in that form, phone or not. I'm not sure about what would have happened had she not been selected as a magical girl.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember Alice saying that she needed time to concentrate so that she could assume her magic girl form, not that she needed the phone to do so. I think we make the connection between phone--> Magic Girl Transformation because most of the flashbacks include the first time one of the girls transforms after "winning" via the MMO. But I don't think it was necessary to have it on you to transform. F'av doesn't tell SW that she wouldn't be able to transform if she broke the phone, only that they wouldn't be able to communicate, IIRC.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
F'av doesn't tell SW that she wouldn't be able to transform if she broke the phone, only that they wouldn't be able to communicate, IIRC.

Specifically Fav was saying that destroying the phone wouldn't cause Fav to disappear. But I'd assume that if breaking the phone made Snow White unable to transform, Fav would tell her about it as Fav was hoping for Snow White to win at that point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I believe as with Cranberry, once you become an official magical girl, you are permanently in that form, phone or not. I'm not sure about what would have happened had she not been selected as a magical girl.

I think you are correct about Cranberry because it seemed like after she was Tama-ified, her remaining lower half was still decked out in magical girl garb. However, both SW and Ripple's status is somewhat murkier in that the selection process was never officially completed. F'av offered SW the choice of becoming a full magical girl and going to the World of Magic or of becoming the Master for the next selection round. She chose neither.

I'm not sure why the WoM is tolerating SW running around, not listening to orders. It seems to me they would have the power to revoke her magical girlness if they had a mind to.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah they don't show what happened to the selection process after F'av was taken out. I have to figure representives of the WoM went to investigate when the master terminal was destroyed cause that doesn't happen due to natural causes. And since they survived it would only be fair if they were offered becoming official ones in part in compensation for what they were put through.

As to her disobeying orders, she was doing good things in line with her mission so it would be difficult and kinda counterproductive to just fire her for it. That may change in the future.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:

Also for other users that have said "Swim Swim had to be killed", that again is incorrect. Ripple could have gone with the alternate of using the flash-bang to knock her unconscious and then tie her up and confiscate her magical phone, destroy Fa'v and then the Land of Magic (LoM) would come in and take care of the rest, most likely erasing Swim Swim's memoires of being a Magical Girl and going back to her normal daily life. Whilst its understandable that Ripple is enraged that her mentor figure Top Speed was stabbed in the back in front of her eyes, it still doesn't excuse her of continuing the death game in order to murder a 7 year old little girl and if this was reality, she would be serving at least a 10 year prison sentence.

There was no other choice. They had no knowledge that the Land of Magic would even consider that. Hell, they might even decide sociopath or not, she would make a great magical soldier. Or they might even decide to sweep the problem under the rug, by killing everyone. There are examples of this from real life.

As La Pucelle quite clearly stated in episode one, they are beyond the laws of man.

At that time and place, there was only one option, kill or be killed. Swim Swim surely wasn't going to extend the hand of mercy.

After all the murders that Swim Swim was responsible for, she didn't deserve to live. Pure and simple. Since Snow White and Ripple were the only peers of Swim Swim left alive, it fell to them to take matters in hand.

Let's go over the list, shall we.

Winterprison (killed by betrayal and ambush), Hardgore Alice (killed while defenseless), Top Speed (surprise backstab), and Tama (teammate murdered after saving Swim Swim) - all killed by Swim Swim's hand.

Sister Nana - A casuality of Swim Swim's actions.

It is hard to fathom all these calls for mercy, with that list of the dead hanging over Swim Swim's head. Those victims lives do matter, and none of them played the game like Cranberry, Calamity Jane, Ruler's group, or MagicLoid44.

With that list of victims and how they were killed, Swim Swim's age is irrelevant.
Junko666

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
@Tour_of_Gondolin & TarsTarkas: The point I'm trying to make here as NeverConvex said, is that killing was NOT the only option that Ripple had. I did say that its understandable that Ripple took the route of killing Swim Swim, however it was morally not the right thing to have done and even Ripple herself acknowledges this after she had killed Swim Swim. (I have been reading the LNs so this is factual) In fact she gets into a lot of trouble with Land of Magic (LoM) and was very close to having her MG status revoked, because she did kill Swim Swim. Whilst Ripple was pardoned for killing Calamity Mary, she wasn't for killing Swim Swim because Ripple went after Swim Swim for personal reasons at this point, since the death game was over. So whilst its debateable whether Ripple made the right choice or not for killing Swim Swim, it doesn't change the fact that she did have the option of not killing her.

Cam0 wrote:

Did I miss something? Why would the magic world people come and take away Swim Swim's magical girl powers?

Yes you did, as F'av pointed out in his explanation of the selection process, that normally in these exams if you fail, you will have your memories erased of your life as an MG and return to normal life again. Which is what would have most likely happened, to Swim Swim had Ripple tied her up and confiscated her magical phone.

Speaking of magical phones, since some of you have been discussing this, I can clarify that these are required for you to transform into a MG and you can't without one and as for why Snow White can still transform in the Epilogue despite breaking her phone, is just simply because LoM gave her another one.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
What I am saying, Junko666, is that Ripple, being the person who she is, and knowing what she knew at the time, *could not* have not killed Swim-Swim. It *was* personal, and she had no knowledge that anyone else would make Swim-Swim pay for what she'd done: Snow White certainly wouldn't do it, even if she was capable of doing so. So if Swim-Swim was going to pay, and she *had* to pay for what she did, then Ripple was the only one who could make that happen.

I am not saying it was the morally right thing to do, but it was a *necessity* in Ripple's mind. That's what she was telling SW earlier.

On a physical level, once Ripple had been seriously damaged, she wasn't in any shape to try to restrain Swim-Swim. She was bleeding out. And if she fell unconscious and Swim-Swim woke up, Swim-Swim would kill her without hesitation (as she did to Tama). Tie her up? While almost blind from losing one eye and having blood in the other, and with one hand since your other hand had just been sliced off along with a portion of your arm? That's just nuts. She lost all of that just to render Swim-Swim unconscious, and *now* she is going to stop and try to tie her up? Not a chance at all. On an emotional level, that would require an in-human sort of mental/emotional deliberation. "Okay. I've knocked her out. I am down an eye and part of an arm, but she's not dead yet, so I suppose I should tie her up in the hopes that someone will be able to restrain her once she wakes up, and then I'll have to find someone who can get her to face justice. Hopefully I don't die of blood-loss before then, but it's the right thing to do so..." Yeah, no. I'm not seeing that at all.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
@Junko666
I am going to have to disagree with you there. Killing Swim Swim was the morally right thing to do. The list of the dead, those killed by Swim Swim's direct hand, and how she killed them does matter. They completely outweigh Swim Swim's age. The completely absent Land of Magic admins were never around and thus have no right to complain, to be trusted, or have any authority over the actions of the surviving Magical Girls.

Find it interesting, as Fav explained, that Cranberry had gone through several selection process games, before this one. So we have a death toll of perhaps over 50 plus girls, yet no oversight from the Land of Magic, or hey, lets visit to see why this Fav hasn't supplied us with any Magical Girls.

Even if you disagree with me about the morality of it all, Tuor_of_Gondolin is correct about the practical issues. Ripple was in no shape to let Swim Swim live, and as the episode quite clearly showed, she didn't have the vision to see who she was stabbing, she just knew it had to be Swim Swim. Also, the Magical Girls had no dealings with the Land of Magic admins, so I fail to see why they would even consider them authority figures, much less people to run to. In fact, they might be considered the last people you would want to go to considering Snow White and Ripple had no one of knowing just how rotten the apple core was.

The death game was not over as Fav stated. Fav changed the rules so that Ripple could kill Swim Swim, since personal duels were against the rules. And since Fav was the personal representative of the Land of Magic, it was allowed. LN's may say different, but the anime is an adaptation, so it went a different route.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17