• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kids on the Slope (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
Holy crap, am I the only person here who likes the song? All jazz standards are subject to relentless individual interpretation, and it's not like we're talking about All Blues here. Oh well, each his own I guess.

The song's fine, hearing it over and over is not. Macross 7 had the same problem for like 15 episodes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
That song is kinda catchy. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
"Schnitzel" in Gerengrish Very Happy
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I loved Ritsuko's rendition of "My Favorite Things," but I have a thing for sweet, soft voices. I enjoyed it much more than the usual belting-it-out renditions I've heard. And as someone who hears the song in her head pretty regularly (I sang it for a musical audition once, so I had to get in a lot of practice prior to that point and it's lodged itself in permanently), having it played often in the show didn't bother me in the slightest.

I really wasn't surprised that spoiler[Sentaro left at the end again]. I thought it was pretty well foreshadowed throughout the episode with certain looks and moments right up from the minute spoiler[Kaoru keeps him from going off at the beginning]. The thing with spoiler[Sachiko] felt a bit stuck in though. Then again, so did the Yurika-Jun romance.

While I enjoy this show quite a bit, the pacing is rather poor. I feel like I'm getting jostled around a lot with the various time skips and trying to cram in scenes to evoke certain emotions in the viewer. It really clashes with the color scheme and overall ambiance of the series. It needed to be longer so that the pace could match the overall tone.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Svidrigailov wrote:
Holy crap, am I the only person here who likes the song? All jazz standards are subject to relentless individual interpretation, and it's not like we're talking about All Blues here. Oh well, each his own I guess.

The song's fine, hearing it over and over is not. Macross 7 had the same problem for like 15 episodes.

Yeah, but none of the Macross idol songs were very good to begin with (in fact I abhor every one I can recall, save one or two from Plus). I guess it's different for the musician and audience.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The only time-skip that jarred me was in the last episode. It felt like too much of an off-handed hand-wave that disturbed the narrative and emotional flow of the series.

There was a certain amount of daring in building up to the school festival spoiler[then jerking it away from the audience.]. I really wonder where it will all end up now. Despite how intense there were, the portrayal of emotion in the second half felt restrained, which I think is a good thing. The rooftop scene was very nicely staged. I had been wondering when we would come back to Sentarō's faith and rosary, which had been made much of earlier in the series. Hell of a way for it to hit.

Ritsuko sang a lovely, idiosyncratic rendition of "My Favorite Things". There's something I really like in hearing people who aren't fluent in English sing in it and bring a lot of neat little quirks to the lyrics. I've been expecting her to sing from the get-go; it's something of a shame that we never got to hear 'the real performance'. I really wish that she played an instrument, but even in reality, women mostly fell into the vocal niche when it came to jazz. (I can't even name a female instrumentalist, although I know that they exist, off the top of my head... well, not any straightforward cases*)

Svidrigailov wrote:

I was entirely cool with it. That it might have become too repetitive never crossed my mind. Then again, maybe watching Kōichi Mashimo's entire 'girls-with-guns' cycle (Noir thrice) had inured me to heavy use of leitmotifs. (I think that's what this is; I'm not at home with this stuff)

*Yes, I know that I'm repeating myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I can't even name a female instrumentalist, although I know that they exist

I'll give you two jazz talents, one Japanese and the other Japanese-American. The first is pianist and composer Ootake Kaoruko who wrote the score for Bartender. At that time she was teamed up with singer Shiraki Hiroko in the group known as Natural High; Shiraki sings the OP and ED in that show. They did other work in anime like the second ED, "I've Got Rhythm," for Oh! Edo Rocket.

The other is noted pianist, composer and band leader Toshiko Akiyoshi, who with her husband, saxophonist Lew Tabackin, were the artistic forces behind the Akiyoshi/Tabackin Big Band. She has won numerous awards over her long career.

They're both definitely worth listening to.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Thank you, and duly noted.

And in a strange lapse of memory, I somehow forget Japanese jazz pianist Hiromi Uehara, which is strange, because I own a copy of Spiral. A lot of her work is too 'new agey' for my old fashioned ears, but there's still plenty to like. And I also forget that Sarah Vaughan was a talented pianist even though she was better known as a singer.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I somehow forget Japanese jazz pianist Hiromi Uehara, which is strange, because I own a copy of Spiral.

I dug Hiromi's Sonicbloom for a while, especially since I had already been into Screaming Headless Torsos (led by Dave Fiuczynski who plays guitar for Hiromi).

What about Mary Lou Williams or Esperanza Spalding? And are we only doing jazz? Because if not, I'd like to mention Alice Sara Ott, perhaps the most gorgeous creature to ever do Liszt justice.

I'm guessing Yoko Kanno was assumed as a priori?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Well, it seems that this series is over. Noitamina delivers yet another genius creation of a series for the coming ages.

I do admit that this episode is not one of my favorites spoiler[but that train scene was heartbreaking.] It also seems that Kaoru hits a spoiler[new low earlier this episode] but hey, we can forgive the guy. I mean, he's probably just trying to put his mind off of recent events.

spoiler[And time sure flies fast...and the future of the new characters, with their dreams becoming realities.]

Anyways, great series and gets an easy excellence from me.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Final Episode):

Although I rated the series, as a whole, as a masterpiece, I can't help but feel that the conclusion was a bit rushed. Like, they could have gradually layed it out over the course of the last few episodes. However, that means that it would have required greater detail and a more in-depth look into the characters lives, beyond graduation. Therefore, I see possibly a follow-up OVA series, or maybe a movie, tying up those loose ends.

Personally, I thought the spoiler[ aforementioned train scene] was extremely cliche and predictable. So, it had virtually no effect on me -- or, at least not the intended effect.

All in all, this was one of the best series I've seen in years.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!

I agree it was rushed - I so wish this series had been 24-26 episodes, but I think they did very well in the time they had.

spoiler[I didn't think Kaoru was the type to pull a pounce, but I guess it doesn't quite count since he kissed her first.

And whoa, Kaoru turned into Dr. Tenma! Smile]
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Good episode although it was bit rushed I think it ended on perfect note.Watanabe should really do more romance stories ,I think this directed perfectly as he is able to tell us character emotions just through some nice angles and atmosphere.
kaydub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the jam session to Moanin' in the church was fantastic, the song sounds amazing on an organ.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I've given the series a Very Good rating. The final episode was okay, but a bit of a let-down for me. I'm never a big fan of the spoiler[_ Years Later] approach.

Also, Kaoru overstayed his welcome with me. By the end, he was kind of annoying me as a persistently moody little bitch.

Still, overall a very well-done series and an enjoyable watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 20