• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, and girls playing with bamboo swords is innuendo. And girls playing with guitars is innuendo. And girls playing with baseball bats is innuendo. I don't really care. Phallic symbols are everywhere due to the simplicity (and usefulness) of the shape. Would you want a barrel to be curved? Would you want it to have a much wider shaft than the shell it's shooting? Of course not.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Would you want a barrel to be curved?
I think it would be worse if it was curved.

Megiddo wrote:
Would you want it to have a much wider shaft than the shell it's shooting?
Tee hee, you said "shaft".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
ANN's anime discussion forum - where I come when I'm in the mood for some intellectual conversation. Wink
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ANN's anime discussion forum - where I come when I'm in the mood for some intellectual conversation. Wink

with a post count like that what does it say of you?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
everybody seems to have larger carrier than Ooarai. Pravda's must do wonders for Katyusha's ego. with the Student Council offices being on the bridge, i wonder where the helmsman is located
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
everybody seems to have larger carrier than Ooarai. Pravda's must do wonders for Katyusha's ego. with the Student Council offices being on the bridge, i wonder where the helmsman is located

in the bilge.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
interesting
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

with a post count like that what does it say of you?

That I enjoy intellectual conversation? That I'm a fast typer?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
So, Ooarai managed to fall into the most basic of traps in this episode: pursuing a retreating enemy to a position that enables the remainder of their force to surround you. Apparently neither Miho nor the instructor (whom we haven't seen in several episodes) has considered going over even rudimentary strategy during their training exercises.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
So, Ooarai managed to fall into the most basic of traps in this episode: pursuing a retreating enemy to a position that enables the remainder of their force to surround you. Apparently neither Miho nor the instructor (whom we haven't seen in several episodes) has considered going over even rudimentary strategy during their training exercises.

when faced with 15-5 odds you don't put all 5 tanks together to begin with. but basic tactics has never been what this show is about.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Considering that they made the Type 89 the flag tank (the weakest and slowest of them all) they need to be grouped up to protect it.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Considering that they made the Type 89 the flag tank (the weakest and slowest of them all) they need to be grouped up to protect it.

if they deemed the hedgehog tactic as the way to go maybe.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
They also decided that they needed to end the match quickly as the enemy was better suited to fighting for longer in the cold.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
They also decided that they needed to end the match quickly as the enemy was better suited to fighting for longer in the cold.

the teams assumed this. where as the commander knew the pravda team was best at retreating and reforming.
SayuriUliana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:38 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
It's a Stalin-era song, so it wouldn't have been copyrighted in the first place(any copyright would be state property and very few state claims to those are recognized internationally - the only example I can remember is when Bavaria shut down a Polish edition of Mein Kampf).

Actually, from what I understand it actually still is, at least in the US. See here.

Matt Levy, IP Litigator wrote:
Assuming you're asking about U.S. copyright, the song was probably not originally covered by U.S. copyright, because the Soviet Union and the U.S. had no treaty regarding copyright until the 70's, and I'm assuming there was no copyright registration or publication with proper notice in 1938. Under the Uruguay Rounds Agreement Act, which took effect in the early 90's, any Russian song that would have been covered by copyright but for the failure to follow U.S. formalities had the copyright restored. (See 17 U.S.C. 104A.)

The constitutionality of that provision is currently being considered by the U.S. Supreme Court in Golan v. Holder. A decision is expected this Spring.

The short answer is that it's probably currently protected by copyright. I have no idea who the current copyright owner is or what licensing arrangements the owner makes.

From other sources, the song is public domain in Japan, so they can use the song freely there. The US however is a different matter as can be implied above, and since Crunchyroll does stream its videos in the US any copyright laws applies to them too.

Also note that Crunchyroll doesn't edit episodes beyond subbing them. Not only that, but the Crunchyroll stream also has another startling difference: in the ED sequence, the original Japanese broadcast had Katyusha properly credited, and yet the Crunchyroll stream doesn't have said credit. This, along with the fact that the entire Katyusha song is conveniently its own self-contained scene, points to the Japanese distributors being responsible for the removal of the scene, possibly knowing that the copyright for the song is still active in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 30