• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
The arguments made against the Shiki rivalry in earlier rounds

marie-antoinette, you must be mistaking Shiki for a different rivalry. There were no arguments against Shiki in previous rounds; on the contrary all the arguments were made in favour of Shiki's bitter rivalry.
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Joining in late but what the heck.

Group A-25
Light Yagami vs. L

I have always said that the series never lived up to the height it once had with L and Light. Those were better times before Near I must say as L was the perfect rivalry to Light. Both having the same goal of worldly justice but taking their seprate routes to get there. Also, the game of the mind is sometimes more interesting to watch than a game of action.

Group A-26
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku

I have watched this series for the years leading up to the Final Act and you might call it bias but I this rivalry has more deep roots I feel as each member of Team Inuyasha does has what has been said, a backstory, involving Naraku that has drastically affected their lives. It was also the power of this rivalry that brought the group together in the first place where the team's own relationships were able to mature through the lenght of the series.
Rivalries have more than one interaction causing cases.

Group A-27
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson

No doubt, just throwing this one out there with no description. I think enough has been said already.

Group A-28
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral

Yes, I'm going to be the odd one of the group and you know why, because I never take anything as a single catergory. While labeled as a fight for survival there is also another underlying story to this rivalry while you say this was only present in the second half of the series it's underlying reasoning was established back in the first episode. "The ability to evolve/progress/become better." The first half was an extention of the rivalry between the anti-spiral as it was a result of the war that had been fought years before. The concept of Nia being the anti-spirals doing emphisises that even though Team Dai-Gurren didn't see it at first, there was always anti-spiral involvment.
I also want to point out that this rivalry also spawned from Simon's love for Nia as well. Much of his anger was drafted from them taking her away from him and having lost Kamina she was the one that brought him back out of the emotional pit he fell into from the first half of the series.
So this wasn't just a fight for survival, but a fight for the right to live, dream, advance, and love.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Group A-25
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
vs.
Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV

Light Yagami vs. L- Well, I do not know much about the other rivalry, and there must be a reason why Light vs L is such a well established one. It is entertaining to watch,it is intense, it is well executed and is a central part of the series. Just how good it actually is can be seen after L's spoiler[death]- Near and Mello vs Light feel like a cup of a very diluted coffee.

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise

Humans vs. Shiki - After seeing the Inuyasha clip I thought it looked good, but also not that exciting, and I still believe Shiki was the best rivalry I have seen in anime in the recent years. Starts off quietly and ends up in a bloodbath that change victims into killers and vampires into prey. It is a real battle for survival- a new species vs humanity, a clash of conflicting ideologies. And above all, I remember it provoking many heated discussions a few months back.

Group A-27
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise
vs.
San vs. Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke

San vs. Lady Eboshi
It might not be the best argument ever, but although I saw Hellsing a lot later than Mononoke, I can't remember a thing from it except for a few characters. San vs. Lady Eboshi's conflict served as an illustration of two ideologies- and looking at them from different sides, it is hard to say who was right- the girl that protected the nature or the woman that protected humans.

Group A-28
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!
vs.
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann[/quote]

Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral - Have not seen either, and both clips were very good, but after reading some arguments from previous rounds, Ill stick to Team Dai Gurren.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

I’ve only seen the X movie, and the nomination is specifically for the TV series but I’m sticking with Light Yagami v L because it is one of my favourite conflicts in anime and it will take some very convincing arguments to get me change my vote. While the premise is silly (any worse than X’s?) and the worldview problematic in Deathnote, there is no doubt the battle of wits is constantly thrilling and surprising.

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

Humans v Shiki: I’ve not seen either but, of the two, I’m only tempted to watch Shiki – purely because of the rivalry premise.

Group A-27
vs.

In Hellsing Ultimate I found neither the excess entertaining me nor the comedy amusing so the rivalry between Alucard and Anderson failed to ignite my interest. So I’ll stick with my nomination of Lady Eboshi v San.

Group A-28
vs.
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann

I don’t like mecha and I don’t like Gainax, but… there is not much rivalry where one of the characters is utterly powerless in every single encounter with the other. So, by default, I’m going for Team Dai-Gurren v Anti-Spiral.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Finally, I made (or gained) time to vote and write a proper reasoning. Going to have bad arguments considering I'm rushing through schoolwork and trying to watch some anime.

Group A-25
vs.

Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, hard choice, but I believe X's tragedies pushes L vs. Light out of the way. Other than that, I forgot most of both rivalries and decided to vote on the group one.

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

Humans vs. Shiki, the excitement as humans retaliated against the Shiki and mercilessly spoiler[slaughter them]. Their mercilessness demonstrates how much they want the Shiki out of their village and also reveals their feelings of revenge for lost friends or family. In the OVA, it is shown that some humans killed spoiler[ other humans who had been bitten only once] despite the time it took for a human to turn into a Shiki. That's how much the humans didn't want the Shiki in their village. Like I mentioned in a past post supporting the Shiki, there is just no room for compromise. The Shiki's ultimate goal is settle in a village with no humans whereas the humans do not want to live with "monsters". Hatred compels these two groups to fight till the death. Even as individuals, majority just won't try to get along. Oh, a personal reason for supporting Shiki, it's one of my favorite animes... and I really enjoyed it.

Group A-27
vs.

I was originally going to vote for the former, but Unicorn_blade's comment convinced me to vote for the latter (or my head's messing with me.)
Quote:

it is hard to say who was right- the girl that protected the nature or the woman that protected humans.

Voting for:San vs. Lady Eboshi

Group A-28
vs.

never saw the series for both, but I did see the Gurren Lagann movies. I'm voting for Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral. Fighting to save your galaxy and constantly having your mecha evolve as you struggle to fight a tough opponent seems like the better choice. That and, from what I understand, the Anti-spirals do not want the human race to evolve... (?) and sets to eradicate them. Team Dai Gurren fights against the Anti-spirals for the sake of humanity and the desire to continue living on.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
marie-antoinette, you must be mistaking Shiki for a different rivalry. There were no arguments against Shiki in previous rounds; on the contrary all the arguments were made in favour of Shiki's bitter rivalry.

I went back and yes, you are right about this. I don't know what I was confusing it with but even in the last round, I can't see any arguments against Shiki, except for one anti-Shiki vote without explanation. I have therefore changed my reasoning, though not my vote.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Current minigame results.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.
Light vs. L. Both of these rivalries are impressive, but the intensity of the Death Note rivalry is outstanding.

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku. I have defended Shiki's worthiness of moving on in the past rounds, but as a person who has seen both series all the way through I can say that their number has come up. The sheer intensity of hatred between the Shiki and humans is shocking, but the fatal flaw of their rivalry is that it is almost completely one-sided until half way through the series, and even then the village doesn't spoiler[even know Shiki exist until episode 18 of only 22.]
For Inuyasha and co. on the other hand, they find out pretty quickly about Naraku. Almost the entire series is spent with each side trying to hunt down the other, and/or grow powerful enough to crush their foe.

Group A-27
vs.
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson. Been awhile since I've seen Hellsing, so watching the video refreshed my memory of their awesome battles.

Group A-28
vs.
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann[/quote]
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral. I haven't seen Durarara, but from the arguments I've heard this rivalry is just a personality clash. The rivalry between Team Dai-Gurren and the Anti-Spirals is not only for the survival of mankind, and not only for planet Earth either, but the entire universe and everyone in it.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:

Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku. I have defended Shiki's worthiness of moving on in the past rounds, but as a person who has seen both series all the way through I can say that their number has come up. The sheer intensity of hatred between the Shiki and humans is shocking, but the fatal flaw of their rivalry is that it is almost completely one-sided until half way through the series, and even then the village doesn't spoiler[even know Shiki exist until episode 18 of only 22.]
For Inuyasha and co. on the other hand, they find out pretty quickly about Naraku. Almost the entire series is spent with each side trying to hunt down the other, and/or grow powerful enough to crush their foe.

If I remember correctly, Team Inuyasha also finds out about Naraku around episodes 18. The biggest difference is that Inuyasha has 100+ episodes. Frankly, I think that the length of the series is Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku greatest disadvantage. It goes for such a long, long time that it reaches the conclusion when the rivalry is way past the point of being interesting. It becomes deadly dull, once you realise that fights follow the same pattern.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

If I remember correctly, Team Inuyasha also finds out about Naraku around episodes 18. The biggest difference is that Inuyasha has 100+ episodes. Frankly, I think that the length of the series is Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku greatest disadvantage. It goes for such a long, long time that it reaches the conclusion when the rivalry is way past the point of being interesting. It becomes deadly dull, once you realise that fights follow the same pattern.
It's definitely true that the Naraku rivalry is overdone, I agree 100%. I guess it's just my personal preference that I prefer a rivalry that has been overdeveloped than one that is underdeveloped. On top of that, I think that Naraku himself is more complex than most people give him credit for. Yes, he is power-hungry and wants to take over the world, but he's not blindly or clumsily seeking power. In the end, it all comes down to spoiler[the love of a woman. He loves Kikyo, and that love is what really drives the rivalry between Inuyasha and Naraku.]
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

In today's action-oriented rivalries, the Light vs. L brings a fresh approach to this concept. Instead of the Kamehameha Wave clashing against the Rasengan, it's a battle of wits. In this game of intellectual Battleship, sinking the battleship is all of matter of outsmarting your opponent.

My vote goes to: Light Yagami vs. L.

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

I have not seen Shiki but the premise behind it is interesting. From the supporting arguments, I see that both sides are operating under the "kill or be killed" rule. With that said, my vote goes to: Humans vs. Shiki.

Group A-27
vs.

Much like the Shiki rivalry, these two will shoot/impale/magic each other on sight multiple times in the same fight and live to do it again another time. The first fight was very memorable for me when I saw it back in the day.

My vote goes to: Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson.

Group A-28
vs.

Change is a part of life. Without change, there is no progress. The Anti-Spirals believe that change and progress, if not monitored, will inevitably destroy the known universe. They wholeheartedly believe this to a fault that they have appointed themselves the police of the universe.

Simon and Team Dai-Gurren believes that as you grow up, change is natural. You adapt and progress through life learning these valuable experiences. It is also a time to discover yourself. Mistakes are also important since you can learn a lot from them. However, the Anti-Spirals would rather not chance it since they see Spiral progress with a half-empty mentality.

This rivalry is more than a fight for survival. It is a fight for a right that every living thing is entitled to by birthright, change.

My vote goes to: Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

Light Yagami and L

I'm actually quite interested in the X TV rivalry as it does sound and look interesting. Against weaker opposition than the Death Note pair I would probably vote for the X TV lot, but Light and L have one of the most memorable, gripping and series-defining character-versus-character rivalries in the post-2000 Anime era. To me, this is a case of a very strong pair taking out a weaker but still impressive candidate.

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

I have only seen six or so episodes of InuYasha - I really do not like Rumiko Takahashi - so I confess to not knowing much about it, except that it is overly long, repetitive, poorly plotted, and boring. However I have seen all of the much more recent ShiKi, although I confess to not really "getting" it. So, how do decide which candidate to vote for?

Well, the answer is all-too-easy. You just have to look back at previous rounds, starting with the very first week. With excellent arguments such as:

[please note you may have to scroll down a bit to reach the desired reasoning in each link]

this one and this one and this one and this one and this one and this one and this one and this one,

well, the answer is all too obvious. They've all collectively stated their case so clearly and strongly that I felt I was practically obliged to vote this week, just so that their hard work and persuasive arguments didn't go to waste. So my thanks go out to all of those posters who kindly helped me make up my mind, I sincerely appreciate the assist, and look forward to seeing more of your superb debating skills in the future.

Team Inuyasha and Naraku

Group A-27
vs.

I've never understood what people saw in Princess Mononoke in general, and in Eboshi in particular. However, Alucard and Anderson didn't really have a rivalry at all except for one being a vampire and the other being an exorcist (of sorts). The amount of screentime they had together was pathetic.

So by default:

San and Lady Eboshi

Group A-28
vs.

Shizuo and Izaya

Those two were always at one another's throats, even from a much younger age. Their antics were always good fun to watch and their rivalry was far more interesting than following three clueless teenagers around. As for TTGL, well I have never made a secret that I hate it with a passion. But it is nice to actually have a better matchup to vote for instead, rather than having to vote against TTGL just because it doesn't deserve to even eat leaves out of a gutter. So yeah, think what you like, but I am voting for the better rivalry here. The fact that it matches my own feelings makes me feel very happy.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

Light Yagami and L

The latter seems impressive but the only part of X I was familiar with is the lackluster movie. Light and L have one of the most memorable, intense battle of wits rivalries in recent memory.

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

Humans vs Shiki

Mainly due to my distaste for the certain characters in the trite Inuyasha rivalry.

Group A-27
vs.

I completely agree with what others said that the Hellsing rivalry is pretty non existent and it doesn't hurt that the other rivalry is impressive to boot.

San and Lady Eboshi

Group A-28
vs.

Shizuo and Izaya
Another intense character versus character irvalry, even starting since they were very young, which is enough for me to give them my vote. Their antics were always good fun to watch and their rivalry was far more interesting than following three clueless teenagers around.Also I just can't stand behind the GL rivalry since it is too undefined and broad for my tastes.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never knew that Inuyasha was such a widely-despised series.

Frankly, after reading all the arguments in C-26, I cannot see how Humans/Shiki is clearly better than Inuyasha/Naraku if one eliminates personal distaste for the latter. I haven't seen much of Shiki, but does it actually have any content in it which trumps the very personal feuds that most of the Inuyasha team members have with Naraku? The Inuyasha conflict is no less a battle for survival since both sides have actively tried to kill the other on many occasions. I never found the intensity to be lacking, either, and there is certainly no shortage of depth, as the foundations of the rivalry are well-defined and, in some cases, fairly intricate.

Oh, and I'm only bothering to bring this up because the two are running neck-and-neck right now. (A-28 is also "could go either way" tight.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't despise Inuyasha. I just think that Shiki has more intense and as a result more involving conflict than Inyasha. The conflict between Inuyasha and Naraku, while fairly good, has never been as intense as Humans vs. Shiki's conflict. Humans and Shiki have not just tried to kill one another. They do kill one another, which gives a sense of impending doom.
Quote:
does it actually have any content in it which trumps the very personal feuds that most of the Inuyasha team members have with Naraku?

I strongly believe that the answer is yes. At the point of the story when humans take revenge, most of the Shiki are (un)dead people from the village, so not only does it turn into carnage, where people kill their relatives, friends, neighbours etc, but also humans have very personal feuds with the Kirishki family, who started it.

And it's not as clear as in Inuyasha, who will win. Personally, I like it when the ending is not that obvious from the beginning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 38