• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
VOTE CHANGE!

After giving it some thought and doing some reading of other sources, I've changed my vote in D-20 to Porco Rosso vs Donald Curtis.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Not really my best round (don't know that many of these), even though two of my favorites are in it. Here goes.

Group D-17
Domon Kassu vs. Master Asia, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
vs.
The Elrics vs. Homunculi, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
Voting for: The Elrics vs. Homunculi
I don't know the first series, but the Elrics vs. Homunculi rivalry is one of the best.

Group D-18
Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman, Macross Plus
vs.
Triela vs. Pinocchio, Gunslinger Girl
Voting for: Triela vs. Pinocchio

Group D-19
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket
vs.
Yugi Mutou/Yami vs. Seito Kaiba, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters
Voting for: Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma
Yup, I like this rivalry. Eh... I have to say more than that, right? Most has been said... Cat and mouse, like Tom and Jerry, just cannot get along. Unfortunately for Kyo (the cat), Yuki is very strong. Even when sleepy. Especially then! I like that there's more to the rivalry then 'we just can't get along' and you find out why they're envious of each other.

Group D-20
Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk
vs.
Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis, Porco Rosso
vs.
Seishu High School vs. Ryuou Academy baseball teams, Cross Game
Voting for: Guts vs. Griffith

Group D-21
Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo! franchise
vs.
Yusuke Urameshi vs. Toguro, Yu Yu Hakusho
Voting for: Yusuke Urameshi vs. Toguro

Group D-22
Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives, Trigun
vs.
Ranka Lee vs. Sheryl Nome, Macross Frontier
Voting for: Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives

Group D-23
Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya, Hikaru no Go
vs.
Yuri “Yurippe” Nakamura vs. Kanade “Angel” Tachibana, Angel Beats!
Voting for: Yuri Nakamura vs. Kanade Tachibana

Group D-24
Pedro vs. That Man, Excel Saga
vs.
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed
Voting for: Kazuma vs. Ryuhou
mow123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
[quote="A Mystery"]Not really my best round (don't know that many of these), even though two of my favorites are in it. Here goes.

Group D-17
vs.
Voting for: The Elrics vs. Homunculi
Not familiar with other one and going with known entity, not that they are in anything to scoff at it either.

Group D-18
vs.
Voting for: Triela vs. Pinocchio

Interesting dynamic they have going plus the intensity of the violence in this rivalry really boils with pure emotion and pathos.

Group D-19
vs.

Group D-20
vs.
vs.

Sly commander versus an honest straight-forward bruiser, this rivalry man not show itself until later but it is sure a doosey. You can't help but feel sorry for Guts a tad bit before you remember he's Guts.

Group D-21
vs.
Voting for: Ayeka vs. Ryoko[/url], Tenchi Muyo! franchise

Group D-22
vs.

A feud between brothers with differing ideals -- intriguing to say the least.

Group D-23
vs.
Voting for: Yuri Nakamura vs. Kanade Tachibana

Group D-24
vs.
Voting for: Pedro vs. That Man[/url], Excel Saga

I "Noooooooooooooooo!" this one won't go my way, but for the sake of manly tears and villain with no redeeming qualities that the creators make no attempt to make relatable or human; I have to vote with my heart on this one.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.

Voting For: The Elrics vs. Homunculi

Group D-18
vs.

Voting For: Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman

Group D-19
vs.

Voting For: Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma

Group D-20
vs.
vs.

Voting For: Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis
I'd kinda like to vote for the CG rivalry here, it's such a pure sports rivalry, Other than Ryuou's Yankee's-like level of acquisition might there isn't any reason to dislike the team on a personal level, they're pretty good guys who love baseball and respect their opponents. It's just a contest of skill and tenacity- love it.
Yet, If you've paid attention to my votes in previous tournaments, I just don't like Berserk, so I'm going with the pair that will hopefully knock them out.
And it certainly isn't as if Porco and Curtis aren't worthy. They too have a somewhat pure rivalry based on skill and they do share some begrudging respect for each other, Add in some class and national rivalry and a pair of girls in the middle and the rivalry has a lot going for it.
But If the Porco fight starts to run away with it in the last hour I might change my vote to give on to the CG pair.

Group D-21
vs.

Voting For: Ayeka vs. Ryoko

Group D-22
vs.

Voting For: Ranka Lee vs. Sheryl Nome

Group D-23
vs.

Voting For: Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya

Group D-24
vs.

Voting For: Pedro vs. That Man
I don't think sCRYed is a bad show but its definitely not a favorite either and Kazuma and Ryuhou's is part of my displeasure. Their beef with each other is just so stupidly hard-headed, born of misplaced hatred for "the other guys" and kept alive with contrary attitudes. I guess some see it a "manly" contest against two people duking it out, but they aren't boxers, these two cause seismic events and literally fly off into rages to beat each other in a contest that could kill each other.It's one of those cases where a manly fight is manly stupidity.
OTOH, The Pedro/That Man rivalry is refreshingly random and outrageous and pokes fun at all of the right places. Good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.
The Elrics vs. The Homunculi

Group D-18
vs.
Triela vs. Pinocchio

Group D-19
vs.
Yuki vs. Kyo

Group D-20
vs.
vs.
Guts vs. Griffith

Group D-21
vs.
Ayeka vs. Ryoko. This rivalry gets my vote, but not because it is a classic. I actually have a bit of a bias against so-called classics, but even though this set the standard for many harem rivalries, it still stands out to this day.
These two knew each other before they ever met Tenchi, and were fighting and loathing each other for years before coming to Earth. Many harem rivalries have only the one element for their rivalry, and that's fighting over their mutual love interest. In Ayeka and Ryoko's case, Tenchi is just one extra thing added onto the long list of things they hate each other for.

Group D-22
vs.
Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives

Group D-23
vs.
Hikaru vs. Akira. The arguments I've heard for the Angel Beats rivalry are that one stands for the status quo and order, whereas the other stands for revolution and freedom. That's not a bad argument, Im always a sucker for some good symbolism. But beyond that, there doesn't seem to be much to this rivalry. Even in the description for this rivalry it admits that the two don't directly clash very often, but more that it is Angel and Yuri's Battlefront that clash. Im guessing that Yuri's Battlefront is the name for Yuri's group of followers or something, and that can be seen as an extension of Yuri, but that has the exact same problem that Vash vs. Knives has with the Gun-ho Guns.
In Hikaru no Go on the other hand, the entire series is about Hikaru and Akira and how they strive to surpass the other. Hikaru was a boy that didn't really have direction or passion in his life, until he started playing Go and found his place in the world. Akira was secure, revered as a Go prodigy and no one anywhere near his age could beat him until Hikaru came along and turned his world upside down. Their rivalry spans over several years, as they practice, improve and fight each other in tournaments to gain each other's respect as Go players.

Group D-24
vs.
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed[/quote]
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou. Pedro and That Man really do have a hilarious rivalry, and despite the comedy they really do have legitimate reasons to fight. But the s-CRY-ed rivalry is just too intense to not get my vote here.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17 The Elrics vs. Homunculi, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise

Group D-18 Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman, Macross Plus

Group D-19 Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket

Group D-20 Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk

Group D-21 Yusuke Urameshi vs. Toguro, Yu Yu Hakusho
Meh, I've never been big on the Ayeka v Ryoko thing. Yeah, it made the show entertaining, but Yusuke vs Toguro started the longest arc in the whole damn show. I gotta give it props for that.

Group D-22 Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives, Trigun

Group D-23 Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya, Hikaru no Go
Well, I poured out most of my reasons why they should go on regardless of who they're up against during round 1 so I don't feel I need to write as much here (granted, I could, but I'm also voting on the last day due to vacation so I don't have the time to). And I still feel that these two are an unstoppable force who deserve to go forward to the finals. I read from Tris8's post that Yurippe and Angel don't clash too much together directly, and that's another comparative strength for Hikaru and Akira who also don't actually have too many games together. Even when they're not directly playing each other in Go, which is a pretty rare occasion too, they still have the other on their mind. Sure, they might not be playing now, but they will be soon and even when playing someone else, part of their thoughts are on the other and how what they take from this game will help in a future game vs the other. Even when they are nowhere near each other, they're still the top priority of the other one. When Hikaru becomes an insei (part of a training league to go pro), he dreams not of the time that he'll necessarily become a pro, but of when he'll be a truly worthy opponent to Akira (where going pro is a stepping stone towards that goal). Akira doesn't dream of taking his father's top title, but of when Hikaru will catch up to him and become the player that he played so long ago in that Go salon (he played Sai). And while Hikaru could have just let Sai take over at any time and ignore the rivalry, without Akira, Hikaru really would have let Sai play his little ghost heart out. An average kid who knew as much about Go as the audience started his entire journey because of Akira and Akira, well on the path, gained a new interest in the game. It's yet another easy vote for me as these two really are one of the strongest duos in the tourney.

Group D-24 Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.

Voting for: Domon Kassu vs. Master Asia

This isn't really a vote against the clear winner, which is admittedly the superior choice, but more of a show of support for what was a pretty memorable rivalry whenever G Gundam actually focused on it. Domon and Master Asia have one of the best one-on-one duels in a mecha show, full of emotional weight as well as a good combination of both style and substance. In many ways it is based on the traditional archetype of a student who is destined to overcome his master, but there was also a bit of an ideological backdrop involved. Not quite as complex as Fullmetal Alchemist, perhaps, but not too bad either.

Group D-18
vs.

Voting for: Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman

I have a few misgivings about this, either way, but errinundra made a fairly good case for grudgingly supporting the Macross Plus entry.

Group D-19
vs.

The guide entry and arguments for Yuki vs. Kyo have been a little more interesting than those in favor of the alternative.

Group D-20
vs.
vs.

Adding Cross Game into the mix is interesting, but it only makes me hesitate slightly. A good sports rivalry is always nice to see, at least in my personal experience, but when the push comes to shove...I generally prefer those situations where there is more than just one dimension involved.

I already presented a few points in favor of the Berserk rivalry during the last round and, as far as I'm concerned, most of them still continue to apply here. In the end, I would say it's a matter of personal preference rather than anything else. None of these are truly "bad" choices in my book.

Group D-21
vs.

Voting for: Ayeka vs. Ryoko

What I remember seeing of Yu Yu Hakusho back in the day was usually entertaining and I do recognize the importance of this rivalry in the context of the show, but I also don't want to vote for too many shounen fighting conflicts here. Unfortunately, this one got the short end of the stick.

Group D-22
vs.

I admit that lack of active screentime is a problem here, but the way things eventually come together in Trigun more than makes up for it. As others have already said, physical presence isn't the only way for a rivalry to influence the course of events.

Group D-23
vs.

Voting for: Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya

There have been a couple interesting points in favor of both, but classicalzawa in particular has convinced me that Hikaru no Go's entry deserves to move on, at least for the time being. We will see what the next couple of rounds have to offer soon enough.

Group D-24
vs.

Voting for: Kazuma vs. Ryuhou

I haven't been entirely unsympathetic to Pedro's plight and his resulting conflict with That Man was an amusing secondary plot thread within the absolute craziness that was Excel Saga, but unfortunately...it doesn't really have the sheer intensity of the Kazuma vs. Ryuhou rivalry. Neither of them is particularly smart or mature about it, but the lengths they are willing to go are impressive. In addition, there is something of an ideological contrast involved, besides their self-evident personal animosity.

Last edited by nightjuan on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.

Being the one who nominated the Domon Kassu vs. Master Asia rivalry, I do acknowledge that their time has come. The Elric family and the Homunculi rivalry is just too strong. The Homunculi are the major antagonists and have a presence in every conflict in both series. They also are behind almost every dark, sinister conspiracy that the Elrics stumble upon through their journey. A rivalry of this magnitude trumps a former master's and former student's end-all fight.

My vote goes to: The Elrics vs. Homunculi.

Group D-18
vs.

My vote goes to: Triela vs. Pinocchio.

Group D-19
vs.

My vote goes to: Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma.

Group D-20
vs.
vs.

In the last couple of episodes, Ko and Mishima have themselves a sort of rivalry going. It was Mishima who hit in the game winning run and quashed all hopes of Seishu making it to Koshien the last time they played.

Now it is a rematch of the Ko's flamethrowing arm against Mishima's dominance at the plate. The stakes are even higher as this possibly could be Ko's last chance at making it to Koshien. All the drama, excitement, action is here at the must-win game of all games for Ko and Seishu High School's baseball team.

My vote goes to: Seishu High School vs. Ryuou Academy baseball teams.

Group D-21
vs.

My vote goes to: Ayeka vs. Ryoko.

Group D-22
vs.

My vote goes to: Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives.

Group D-23
vs.

My vote goes to: Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya.

Group D-24
vs.

My vote goes to: Pedro vs. That Man.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Shit, do I have time for this?

Group D-17

Group D-18

Coin toss.

Group D-19

Group D-20

The very convincing arguments drew me over.

Group D-21

Group D-22

I like the ideological differences in this rivalry.

Group D-23

Group D-24

I'm going to go with the hot-bloodedness of this one.

Haha, half-arsed explanations. But I literally did this in the span of two minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group D is now closed.

With 15 votes in this time (sorry, willag, you were too late), the results:

D-17: The Elrics vs. Homonculi stomped Domon Kassu vs.Master Asia, 14-1.
D-18: Isamu vs. Guld Bowman edges Triela vs. Pinocchio, 8-7.
D-19: Yuki vs. Kyo Sohma destroys Yugi vs. Setio, 15-0. FLAWLESS VICTORY!!
D-20: Guts vs. Griffith over Porco vs. Donald and baseball teams, 8-6-1.
D-21: Ayeka vs. Ryoko eliminates Yusuke vs. Toguro, 10-5.
D-22: Vash vs. Knives kills Ranka vs. Sheryl, 10-5.
D-23: Hikaru vs. Akira pacifies Yuri vs. Angel, 10-5.
D-24: Kazuma vs. Ryuhou beats Pedro vs. That Man to a pulp, 11-4.

D-22 and D-23 were both close until a finishing run of votes eventually broke the matches wide open in the end. D-18 and D-20 were in doubt up through the last minutes, though. Even so, there were no real surprises here, perhaps beyond D-21 being as close as it was.

Next Group may be a little while but will definitely be up yet tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Group A is now closed.

Results can be found here.

With this Group the video clips featuring each rivalry start; they can be found on the Guide pages for each character. In your reasoning, please note specifically if the clips helped you decide who to vote for.

And that brings up the other point: since we’re down to only four matches this round, some kind of justification – even if it’s a thin one – is now required for all matches. Saying just “based on previous arguments” or “flipped a coin” is acceptable, provided that you’re not doing that in all cases, but do try to put special effort into at least one or two per Group.

Group A-25
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
vs.
Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise

Group A-27
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise
vs.
San vs. Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke

Group A-28
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!
vs.
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann

Last edited by Key on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
Match A-25: Light Yagami vs L (Death Note)
While the feud between the Dragons of Heaven and Dragons of Earth makes for one of the memorable feuds from any CLAMP work I've seenthus far, it doesn't touch the tense and complex cat and mouse game that Light and L have with one another.

Match A-26: Team Inuyasha vs Naraku (Inuyasha)
The feud between the Shiki and Humans made for a rather entertaining and intense feud between both factions in their show's second half and while I agree it is the better quality title of this duo, I have to stick with their adversaries due to many in Team Inuyasha having a personal grudge against Naraku for tragedies the guy inflicted upon them and the powerful foe often getting his kicks out of tormenting and manipulating the vulnerabilities within the group.

Match A-27: San vs Lady Eboshi (Princess Mononoke)
Gritty chemistry and fierce battles are all well and good. But if both the characters involved don't have any motivating reason as to why they clash with one another, then it makes them seem kind of flat. This isn't the case with San and Eboshi whose fierce ideological rivalry defines the major conflict between the forest gods and ironworks village in Princess Mononoke.

Match A-28: Shizuo Heiwajima vs Izaya Orihara (Durarara)
While the Dai-Gurren/ Anti-Spiral feud is epic in scale, it takes up only the second half of Gurren Lagann and is more about showing off how over-the-top the "super robot" genre of mecha anime can be with the ridiculous abilities and deus ex machina developments that both factions undergo than depicting a serious rivalry.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

Light Yagami vs. L
I don't care either way. I found the rivalry between Light and L a bit more entertaining.

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

I have seen both and Humans vs. Shiki is the better choice. Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku is entertaining for several episodes, after that, their perpetual enmity is simply boring. It drags on for so long that a great deal of people who watched Inuyasha lose interest in it long before it reaches its conclusion. Besides, the rivalry between Humans and Shiki, while shorter, fortunately in this case, is much more intense, as It turns into carnage. And the outcome is less obvious.

Group A-27
vs.

San vs. Lady Eboshi Once more I vote for the rivalry that I found more entertaining.

Group A-28
vs.

Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara
Some arguments were made against Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral. I don't find the clip impressive, but it can be just my dislike for mecha-shows. Anyway, Shizou and Izaya are charming and fabulous rivals. It fascinating to watch whether Shizou will throw an elephant slide at Izaya or something else.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

I'd like a reason to vote against Light vs. L just because I don't want to see Death Note characters win two of our tournaments, but this rivalry wasn't one of the top nominees for nothing. The Dragons rivalry does have a firm ideological underpinning, but the DN rivalry, despite its penchant for melodrama, is one of anime's greatest cat-and-mouse games - and who's the cat and who's the mouse varies depending where you are in the story, which makes it even better.

Group A-26
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
vs.

Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, no question. There's too much history and bad blood here from them to be denied at this point.

Group A-27
vs.

Neither one is a top contender, but both have merits. I favor San vs. Lady Eboshi here because both are effectively avatars of the causes that they represent (i.e. nature vs. civilization). The Hellsing match-up doesn't have the same depth; it's more just bloody fun.

Group A-28
vs.

Shizuo vs. Izaya, for the same reasons as Ggultra2764.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
Vote for: Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV

I'm voting for the X-TV rivalry but I don't think it will win. However, I think it's definitely second strongest rivalry in group A and the first that really deserves to give the Death Note pair a good fight.

Group A-26
Vote for: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise

Edit: I thought there had been arguments against Shiki before but I was wrong. That said, I'm still voting for the Inuyasha rivalry since I had heard of it before this tournament, despite having never seen the show.

Group A-27
Vote for: Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise

I've mentioned this in every tournament that Princess Mononoke has been in but I find all the characters in the movie to be boring and unconvincing as being more than the vehicles for a message to be shoved down our throats. Eboshi is the rare exception to this but San is the worst offender, so I cannot vote for them (and have not voted for them in any round).

Group A-28
Vote for: Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!

I haven't seen either show and don't really have a great desire to do so. But if I was going to pick one it would be Durarara!! and the same goes for this rivalry: it just sounds more like what I enjoy than it's competition.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 38