• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelArkAngel

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
New to the site, but not to the artform that is anime. I grew up loving and wanting to be Speed Racer, or a crewmember on the spacebattleship Yamato, maybe a member of G-Force. These are the three big series that really got me interested in anime.

As the years progressed, I took in more and more, never seeming to be satisfied and always wanting more-defnitely and addict to anime.

I recently watched the entire Clannad series (1 and 2) and was completely blown away by how immersive the story was, and how loveable the characters became as the series progressed.

Iam now on the hunt for something to top not only what I watched. but also how I felt when viewing Clannad.

Maybe you can help me out.
Vegeta1056

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys! Name's Vegeta1056 and I decided to make an account on the site!

I'm interested in many anime, some of my favorites being DBZ Kai, Bleach, Trigun, IGPX, far too many to list here. I have more favorites but don't want to bore you all with the details.

I'm a chill guy, so don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you ever want to talk. I'm open to making new friends on the internet who have the same interests as me.

If you would like to you can add me on Steam. I go by the name of VSigma100 on there. I don't really log in much. Only to check out what my friends are doing, and look at the selection of games, in which I currently can't purchase any.

I also have a YouTube. I go by the same username on it as I do on here. My main one is TeriosLP. You can go find me on either one. I try to log into both as much as I can.
DustyKramKram

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
DustyKramKram here. I'm one of those Toonami babies who was brought into the fold by DBZ, Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Ronin Warriors and the like on Cartoon Network circa 1999. Don't know how many of us there are anymore, but back then it seemed like everyone was one.

Anyway, the love of anime fostered a love for Japan itself, as well as a deep appreciation for the filmic arts. Therefore, I type this introduction as a bonafide movie fanatic living and working in Japan.

Favorite anime films: Almost anything from Satoshi Kon or Studio Ghibli, Cat Soup, Akira, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, Memories, Robot Carnival, Angel's Egg, Metropolis, Tekkon Kinkreet, Midori

Favorite anime series: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, MS Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Level E, Chobits, Cardcaptor Sakura, Dragon Ball, Slayers, Lucky Star, Strawberry Marshmallow, Genshiken, The Vision of Escaflowne, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Paranoia Agent, Azumanga Daioh, Eden of the East

Favorite manga: 20th Century Boys, Lone Wolf and Cub, Blade of the Immortal, Toriko, Monster, Black & White, Densha Otoko, Champion Monthly

I'm forgetting so many...
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
Well, I've been lurking for a few years, occasionally commenting on articles, but I've decided to start being properly part of the forum. So...

Name: Ellie
Home: I live in Scotland now (Edinburgh specifically), but I am from just over the border in Newcastle originally.
Marital status: Taken Razz
Blood Type: Either O or A negative. I am one and my brother is the other, but my mum can't remember which of us is which xD

I got into anime and manga through starting high school and meeting new people who were into it. One of them lent me Chobits volume 1 and I've never looked back. I read a lot more manga than watch anime but I am fond of both.

Favourite manga series: This is a tricky one, but I think I'd have to say (in no particular order) Nodame Cantabile, Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura, Otomen, Kimi ni Todoke, Ouran High School Host Club, Fake, Kare Kano, Maid-Sama, Paradise Kiss Fullmetal Alchemist, Black Butler, Othello, Loveless, Banana Fish, Fushigi Yuugi and Bokura ga Ita.

Favourite anime series: (again, in no particular order) Sailor Moon, Natsume Yuujinchou, Hetalia, La Corda d'Oro, Nodame Cantabile, Kiki's Delivery Service, Azumanga Daioh and Fullmetal Alchemist.

Favourite mangaka: CLAMP, Ai Yazawa, Yuu Watase, Satomi Ikezawa, Mayu Shinjo, Masami Tsuda, Natsuki Takaya and Yumi Tamura

Other things I do: I am a music student and play the piano and violin, as well as writing my own music. I'm currently writing the score for a short film. I also maintain a couple of blogs (one about manga which is very new) @ stowly.wordpress.com. My other blog @ stowly.blogspot.com, is dedicated to stupid lines I hear from customers at work, and general funnies from the Internet. Please take a look at them, if you'd like Smile
I also enjoy cooking, and am considering adding some of my favourite recipes to a blog or something as well.
coffeefox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
this'll be my first post, but alright... Cool

Name: Sydni

Sex: Female

Blood Type: A-

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: I'm 50/50 for the most part- Irish and French. Raised cajun, hehe

Religion: Very open minded Christian.

Pets: The brains of the household, my jack russell terrier- Arguss. His accomplice in delinquency, female border collie/fiest terrier mix- Remie. And my Himalayan cat, Koichi.

Drink/Smoke: The occasional drink; smoking doesn't bother me, but I don't myself.

Likes: Travel, Snapple peach tea, creative writing, Asian culture(no, really?), drawing, college life in NOLA, animation in general, theatre, laziness, fire/things that go "BOOM".

Dislikes: People who can't seem to find their sense of humor, overachievement, bad anime[there's lots of it, after all], the smell of bacon, facebook[but for SOME REASON I have one]

Favorite anime: Fullmetal Alchemist["grew up on" the first series, but I still favor the manga/Brotherhood], Kino's Journey, Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost Hound, Azumanga Diaoh, Mushi-shi, Princess Tutu, Wolf's Rain, Toradora!, Ouran High School Host Club, Honey and Clover, Night Raid 1931, FLCL, and everything Miyazaki(all of the early series he worked on and his films)

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Spice and Wolf, Bleach, Trigun, Black Butler, Inukami, Tsubasa, Black Cat, Soul Eater, the Haruhi Suzumiya light novels, Darker than Black, Mushi-shi, Solanin.

Favorite Books: Candide, Les Miserables, Water for Elephants, Memoirs of a Geisha, all of Rudyard Kipling's work, The Hobbit

Favorite game: Pokemon Black :3 That's about all worth mentioning... I miss the nintendo 64 days

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Lost in Translation, Princess Mononoke, Casablanca, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Labyrinth, The Brothers Bloom, Gone with the Wind, Chicago, the Lord of the Rings films, Passage to India, Cowboy Bebop the movie, The Last Unicorn, Secret of Kells, The Hangover. As for tv: Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, Planet Earth, and The Office

Favorite Drink: Mint julep Smile

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Tea, of almost any kind.

Favorite Foods: I'm a sucker for Thai. And then I could probably live of Blue Bell Cookies and Cream ice cream and sushi.

Favorite Sites: Tofugu.com, amazon, deviantart, ebay, netflix!

Favorite Sport (to watch): football(the kind most Americans refer to as soccer).

Favorite Sport (to play): I only swim. Occasionally my friends are known to have fencing tournaments with pool sticks.

Favorite Music: Oh God, just about anything.

Job: I work the library on my college's campus

Hobbies: mostly shinanigans.

"Fun" facts about moi:

*I am a ginger and I do have a soul- it's in a jar on my nightstand. :3
*I have a horrible addiction to cookies and cream related foods. Cookies and cream poptarts, icecream, ceareals, etc. My weakness.
*My favorite animal is the red fox.
*I am currently working on writing a fantasy novel that I would love to see become an animated film someday. 19 full chapters down- many more to go.

I always had friends and close cousins who were into anime/manga and so I kind of fell into it naturally. It was only when I was around
17 that I started getting into anime seriously and really developing a real appreciation for animation. Nowadays, it's kind of like my drug. The people I know who love anime as much as I do are the most solid friends I have and I always enjoy meeting others who are into it as well. The usual story, hehe.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Hey! Welcome aboard. I know there's a few creeps around, but I wouldn't let them get to you. Wink
Tommy RKO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Hello all. I'm new to the site, and I'm fairly new to anime. The name's Juan, I'm 37, I'm Puerto Rican, and I live in Chicago.

I've only just recently gotten into anime. About 3 months now. In that time however I've logged a lot of hours watching my newest and most enjoyable hobby. You might say the seeds were planted about two years ago when I purchased Final Fantasy Unlimited. I wasn't a fan of anime back then, but I was a fan of the FF franchise so buying that one was a no brainer.

Recently I'd become bored with a lot of the TV shows and movies here in the States. I felt like I wanted more from my entertainment outlets. I never got into anime in the past mostly because it seemed like a very expensive hobby.

However a few months back in one of my trips to my local Fry's retail outlets I happened to wander into their anime section, and I've been hooked ever since.

My first purchases were Girls Bravo, Xenosaga : The Animation, and Witchblade. Since then I've amassed quite a collection in a short amount of time. My collection now includes Love Hina, Chobits, School Rumble, Desert Punk, Suzuka, Grenadier, Kanon, Air, Speed Grapher, Burst Angel, and many more. I don't really have a particularly favorite genre. I just go to the store, check out the DVD's and whatever strikes my fancy I get.

I seem to be in the minority with others I talk to in that I actually enjoy the english dubs of most of the anime's I watch. I've become a big fan of many of the actresses especially. Actresses like Jamie Marchi, Clarine Harp, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Monica Rial, Luci Christian, Carrie Savage, and Michelle Ruff, just to name a few.

I hope I can get to know some of you here and continue to find more and more great anime stories. I'll see everyone around.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
No new people for a month and then we get 4 in a matter of 2 days. 3 new people and a lurker turned poster. It's gonna be a good day tater. Welcome to ANN DustyKramKram, Ellie, Sydni, and Juan.

coffeefox wrote:
Dislikes: People who can't seem to find their sense of humor, overachievement, bad anime[there's lots of it, after all], the smell of bacon, facebook[but for SOME REASON I have one]

If bacon scent could be bottled, I'd wear it everyday. It's one of my favorite smells(along with cinnamon buns which, thanks to this sentence, I'm now craving).

You have to have a facebook nowadays. It's revolutionized dating/casual hookups of our generation. Nowadays, you see someone you like, find out their name, check their facebook, either 1. swear loudly because it's private and actually be forced to talk to them or 2. stalk through pictures and every other part of their personal life so you know them before ever speaking to them. Plus, when people find out you don't have one, they think you're creepy and then egoist has to protect us from you.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:
If bacon scent could be bottled, I'd wear it everyday. It's one of my favorite smells(along with cinnamon buns which, thanks to this sentence, I'm now craving).
If that ever happens, I sure hope it won't be considered sexual harassment if I suddenly find myself gnawing on someones calf from wearing said scent Laughing
Arsenette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
Long time anime fan (literally saw it as a toddler).. first time poster. Been watching ANN on my twitter for a while now but only started to delve into the boards recently.. not sure how much I'll post though. Currently live in Jersey, Married 39 year old (in August.. moan.. ) female. I write blogs but not on anime Laughing Pretty much into mostly shojo (but not too hardcore.. most girls will freak out knowing I can't stand Sailor Moon Shocked or magical girl animes) so my lists consists of Nana, Fruits Basket, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star.. I do like shonen (if I got that right.. still getting used to labels ..) such as Dragonball Z, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist.. so long as it's not too bloody I'll like it Wink Videogames.. ooooh the list is waaaaylong.. Heavy into RPG's and puzzle games.
Shiidou Hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
Hiya everyone, I've been a lurker here for a long time and come here often to look up stuff in the encyclopedia. It really is a great database for checking out anime shows or manga before I decide to go and spend a lot of money on them so ANN has been very helpful for me for a long time. I first registered this account about 3 1/2 years ago, but this is the first time that I've ever posted anything on the forums. I'm sorry for being such a ghost in the shadows. There will always be new anime coming out all the time, so I will continue to come here to look things up. I've been a fan of Japanese anime since I first saw Voltron on TV back in the 1980's, but I've loved animation and artwork my whole life, I guess it's part of what I am. ^_^

- Shii-chan
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Before I begin my intro I first like to comment on a side discussion going on that pertains to submitting an intro post.

Upon reading some of these posts I am noticing some authors have commented on what seems to have become a general concesus of what to disclose or not in a one's intro. This brings up a good point and one well taken. I've thought about this too.

The format for this post is very comprehensive, covering a lot of subject matters that could be of interest to other members who may want to post/email that particular individual (this is how friendships blossom, platonically of course). To be unbias I can also see the other side of the coin where some of the subject matter may not be disclosed I think perhaps the author wanted to broach as many topics to get a wider response.

Yet it still brings this question to the fore front.

What do you as members think about what could/would/should be considered sensitive issues? What are the Pros vs Cons of telling people that or not?

(sorry for the edits , where is the spell check when you need it!)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Sensitive issues are in the eye of the poster. Some don't mind giving out their real names, others are uncomfortable giving out their gender; it's a toss up. To me, nothing "should be" a sensitive issue, because some people aren't that sensitive about stuff.

For example, if you look around long enough, you'll find several pictures of me on this board (some quite weird) because I don't care if people know what I look like. What are they going to do? Fap to them? Photoshop penises around my mouth? I don't care, it's a picture. But if someone else is uncomfortable doing that, I understand because some people don't want others fapping to them, and that's perfectly understandable.

So I say disclose what you want, don't disclose what you don't. But I will say, though, that if you're uncomfortable disclosing a good bit of information, you're better off not doing it at all because you don't like it, and, quite honestly, empty intros are boring. I know I haven't read the last several intros because they're blocks of text instead of the standard from the previous 126 pages, let alone my gold standard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I understand where you're coming from - empty introductions aren't that interesting, but I also find that some introductions are so damn long... I'd rather read some fun facts and basic information.

About posting names and photos on the internet: at least here in the Netherlands, it's not a weird idea to think that your potential employer might google your name and look up whatever there's to find about you. So I'm a bit careful.

(I do realize my introduction was bland too, haha)
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:51 am Reply with quote
I've lost interest in the introductions around here. Everyone likes to introduce themselves etc. but hardly anyone keeps posting. Why would I want to read about people I'll never even hear of again?

And A Mystery, where's your sexy avatar mate?

The King of Harts wrote:
SWhat are they going to do? Fap to them?

Maybe.
Quote:
Photoshop penises around my mouth?

Now that's a given.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 127 of 233