• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Oops, sorry Key! I thought the time was the same as here on Ann but it's an hour ahead. Duly noted.

Group C-17
Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe, Princess Tutu
vs.
Goku vs. Piccolo Jr., Dragon Ball
Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe has no competition with Goku and Piccolo. Although I do like the Dragonball rivalry and they have quite the bone to pick with each other, especially in DB, it does not compare to the level of complexity, depth, or entertainment of Princess Tutu.

Group C-18
Kamina and Simon vs. Viral, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Catians vs. Dogisians, Cat Planet Cuties
Kamina and Simon vs. Viral. Although their rivalry does lose intensity after the first half of the show as they join forces against a much greater enemy, the rivalry doesn't completely vanish. spoiler[Viral no longer wants to eradicate Simon but still considers him a worthwhile rival once Simon is able to cope with Kamina's death.]

Group C-19
Yang Wen-Li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
The Seleçao, Eden of the East
Yang Wen-Li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm gets my vote. The Selecao rivalry with it's twelve-way battle made it interesting, but there really wasn't that much conflict between each of the Selecao.

Group C-20
The Organization vs. Yoma/Awakened Beings, Claymore
vs.
Sousuke Sagara vs. Gauron, Full Metal Panic! franchise
The Organization vs. Yoma/Awakened Beings

Group C-21
Maya Kitejima vs. Ayumi Himekawa, Glass Mask
vs.
Ash Ketchum and Friends vs. Team Rocket Trio, Pokemon franchise
Maya Kitejima vs. Ayumi Himekawa

Group C-22
Humans vs. Machines, The Animatrix
vs.
Kouga vs. Iga clans, Basilisk
Kouga Clan vs. Iga Clan. Both of these rivalries are bloody wars with both personal and overarching reasons for their rivalry, but the Basilisk rivalry is better significantly. The politics, fear, potential security, and personal feelings of the characters all make this rivalry complex.

Group C-23
Arsene Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata, Lupin III Franchise
vs.
Outlaw Star Crew vs. MacDougal Brothers, Outlaw Star
Lupin III vs. Zenigata

Group C-24
Ranma Saotome vs. Ryoga Hibiki, Ranma ½
vs.
Mugen vs. Jin, Samurai Champloo
Ranma vs. Ryoga. Never have I seen two characters who fight over every little thing like these two. They're just looking for excuses to fight, and Ranma not being exactly an honorable fighter has no qualms about kicking him when he's down. And Ryoga isn't afraid to exploit the fact that he can transform into a piglet (from a curse he got which happens to be Ranma's fault).
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17
Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe, Princess Tutu
vs.
Goku vs. Piccolo Jr., Dragon Ball

Voting for: Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe

Goku vs. Piccolo Jr. was a big deal for one arc, technically, but after the fact it immediately started becoming less and less of an issue until Vegeta essentially came into the picture and easily assumed his position as the main rival in Dragon Ball. Even when Piccolo managed to become stronger, once or twice in the story, he really didn't have much of a problem with his former enemy ever again. Other than that, I don't think it's really necessary to say much in favor of Princess Tutu at this point in time, going by what has been previously argued in this and other tournaments.

Group C-18
Kamina and Simon vs. Viral, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Catians vs. Dogisians, Cat Planet Cuties

Voting for: Kamina and Simon vs. Viral

While I'm not the biggest fan of this particular Gurren Lagann rivalry, it did provide some great fight scenes early on and a couple of interesting moments in the long run. Under the circumstances, this definitely seems like a better choice here. Catians vs. Dogisians does sound a bit better than I could possibly imagine and the gist of the underlying concept is easy enough to understand, but I don't see how they would necessarily be the superior option.

Group C-19
Yang Wen-Li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
The Seleçao, Eden of the East

Voting for: Yang Wen-Li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm

As a Legend of the Galactic Heroes fan, I'm in full agreement with those who have already described all of the elements making this not just a good rivalry but one of the true front runners of the medium. That being the case, I sincerely hope they last as long as possible during this tournament.

Ironically enough, there is one point of comparison with the likes of The Seleçao: Yang and Reinhard also spend most of the time engaged in a form of indirect conflict, almost never having the opportunity to openly face each other when their subordinates and troops usually handle most of the actual fighting, but the political, ideological and personal contrasts that make both of them stand out as rivals are definitely crystal clear and quite engaging to watch.

Group C-20
The Organization vs. Yoma/Awakened Beings, Claymore
vs.
Sousuke Sagara vs. Gauron, Full Metal Panic! franchise

Voting for: The Organization vs. Yoma/Awakened Beings

This was a difficult decision, to say the least...but I still believe that the Claymore entry is better than other collective rivalries I've actually criticized during this tournament and deserves some recognition, simply because the main source of conflict was properly introduced during the TV series and remained relevant until the final episode, even in light of new information. In other words, the framework that allows -or, if you prefer, forces- the rivalry to exist did not significantly change.

Regardless of whatever secrets stay behind-the-scenes, at the end of the day you really don't need to know everything about the "true" intentions of either party in order to understand that there is a basic struggle for survival in this world, no matter what lies or manipulations may apply. Individuals may enter or leave that conflict, yes, but the larger problem -that is, the rivalry- isn't going away anytime soon.

The Yoma need to eat humans and humans need to defend themselves. This reality must always be dealt with, period, even if there are plenty of moral issues and gray areas in terms of how The Organization creates, treats and disposes of Claymores. In that sense, whether or not Awakened Beings can still be considered human is a particular point of interest and debate. But that, in my opinion, is a question of essential humanity and not one which depends on trying to dig deeper into any tangential, unresolved conspiracies. Nor would either answer to said question change the previously discussed reality.

Then again, keep in mind I don't consider the anime adaptation to be a "failure" either. There were certain cuts and changes, yes, but if anything they make this rivalry stronger, in a strange way, by not going down the same exact route the manga ultimately followed. The ending focused on the personal side of the issue, not on the larger conflict. If we were talking about the original source material though, I would certainly have to alter some of my points and perhaps even give up. But none of that should apply here.

Now, it's true that the Sousuke vs. Gauron rivalry has some rather powerful final moments and there is an interesting shared history between both foes, but in terms of the actual on-screen build-up to said conclusion I felt things could have been handled a bit differently. The actual scene was great, mind you, I'm talking about context. I don't particularly dislike it though, as a whole, so I'll accept whatever the majority ultimately decides here.

Group C-21
Maya Kitejima vs. Ayumi Himekawa, Glass Mask
vs.
Ash Ketchum and Friends vs. Team Rocket Trio, Pokemon franchise

Voting for: Maya Kitejima vs. Ayumi Himekawa

I've been convinced by what others have argued in favor of this one. Not much else to say.

Group C-22
Humans vs. Machines, The Animatrix
vs.
Kouga vs. Iga clans, Basilisk

Voting for: Kouga vs. Iga clans

As much as I still find the idea of Humans vs. Machines to be infinitely more interesting as an overall theme, there's no denying that Basilisk's over-the-top yet tragic ninja slaughter has a lot more emotional weight and consistently entertaining action sequences.

Group C-23
Arsene Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata, Lupin III Franchise
vs.
Outlaw Star Crew vs. MacDougal Brothers, Outlaw Star

Voting for: Outlaw Star Crew vs. MacDougal Brothers

This one could also go either way, depending on what aspects are valued the most. Ultimately, I respect the fact that Lupin III's rivalry is memorable enough to be iconic, at least as far as anime is concerned, but right now my pick goes to the entry that sounds ever so slightly more dynamic. Ask me another day and I could easily change my vote.

Group C-24
Ranma Saotome vs. Ryoga Hibiki, Ranma ½
vs.Mugen vs. Jin, Samurai Champloo

Voting for: Mugen vs. Jin

The comedic element is far more explicit and prevalent in Ranma 1/2, all things considered, but Mugen vs. Jin combines a relatively lighthearted atmosphere with some genuinely good fights and a more interesting clash of personalities than a conflict mostly driven by Ryoga's repeated misunderstandings and bouts of jealousy.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group C is now closed.

Well, we had a slight participation piece - 13 votes this time - and participation generally does tend to be down over holiday weekends, but this still quite a low participation number. Frankly, guys n' gals, if the average participation doesn't increase at least back to the high teens as the tournament progresses then this will be the last one we do.

Oh, and if anyone has video clip suggestions for next round showing the rivals being rivals, PM them to me. I'm not 100% sure that we're going to use them this time, considering the low participation numbers and how many people said at the end of the last tournament that that they didn't use them, but I want to be prepared just in case.

Results:

C-17: Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe obliterates Goku vs. Piccolo Jr., 13-0. FLAWLESS VICTORY!
C-18: Kamina and Simon vs. Viral eliminates Catians vs. Dogisians, 10-3.
C-19: Yang Wen Li vs. Reinhard slips past the The Selecao, 8-5.
C-20: Sosuke Sagara vs. Gauron handily beats The Organization vs. Yoma, 10-3.
C-21: Maya vs. Ayumi comes back to edge Ash vs. Team Rocket, 7-6.
C-22: Kouga vs. Iga ninja clans assassinates Humans vs. Machines, 13-0. FLAWLESS VICTORY!
C-23: Lupin III vs. Zenigata narrowly defeats Outlaw Star vs. MacDougal brothers, 7-6.
C-24: Mugen vs. Jin beats Ranma vs. Ryoga, 10-3.

So we had two sweeps - first time I think that's ever happened in the same Group in one Round, two nail-biters, and a third that was hairy for a while. Interesting mix of lack of drama and intense drama.

Next round should be up soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group D is now closed.

Results can be found here.

So we have a tie from the previous round to contend with this round. That should be interesting in group D-20. And will Yuri vs. Angel maintain their perfect score so far?

Group D-17
Domon Kassu vs. Master Asia, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
vs.
The Elrics vs. Homunculi, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise

Group D-18
Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman, Macross Plus
vs.
Triela vs. Pinocchio, Gunslinger Girl

Group D-19
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket
vs.
Yugi Mutou/Yami vs. Seito Kaiba, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Group D-20
Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk
vs.
Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis, Porco Rosso
vs.
Seishu High School vs. Ryuou Academy baseball teams, Cross Game

Group D-21
Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo! franchise
vs.
Yusuke Urameshi vs. Toguro, Yu Yu Hakusho

Group D-22
Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives, Trigun
vs.
Ranka Lee vs. Sheryl Nome, Macross Frontier

Group D-23
Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya, Hikaru no Go
vs.
Yuri “Yurippe” Nakamura vs. Kanade “Angel” Tachibana, Angel Beats!

Group D-24
Pedro vs. That Man, Excel Saga
vs.
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed

Last edited by Key on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Group D-17

No matter which franchise you pick, the bitterness between these two rivals is huge. But in watching FMA:B, I think that you REALLY see the bitterness even more. This is a rivalry that will linger in Anime History.

Group D-18

These are two people who are VERY good at what they do. And because they are so good, they both walk away from their fight feeling like they got their butt kicked. So, not only do they never want to feel like that again, they want to make sure that the other will never be able to do that to them again.

Group D-19

You get the feeling sometimes that Yuki really doesn't care about the rivalry, but when things get right down to it, he does and when his facade of uncaring breaks...God help those who try to get between the pair!

Group D-20

VOTE CHANGE!!!! Porco Rosso vs Donald Curtis
Group D-21

The rivalry between Ryoko and Ayeka is cute and funny but the rivalry between Yusuke and Toguro is serious...serious to the point that millions of lives are at stake, which doesn't exist with the girls.

Group D-22

Brother vs Brother always makes for interesting conflicts. And the depths that Knives will go to hurt his twin is interesting.

Group D-23

I'm going with Hikaru and Akira because of the previous arguments made for them. It's a complex relationship and rivalry and I think that should allow them to continue.

Group D-24

Two total opposites in personality yet I've always felt that if they were not on different sides, they would have been fairly solid friends. But they aren't on the same side, so that makes it even more powerful.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.

The G Gundam pairing has been pitched pretty hard both this tournament and last, but the arguments for them are going to have to be pretty impressive to deny The Elrics vs. Homunculi here. There's simply too many battles and bad blood going on in those alchemical struggles.

Group D-18
vs.

Isamu vs. Guld is a match-up of rivals in love and professional skill, but it also represents a vast contrast in personalities and attitudes which would set them at odds even if the other two factors weren't in play. That's something that the GG duel simply can't match.

Group D-19
vs.

Yuki vs. Kyo. Let's see - Rat vs. Cat, multiple physical confrontations, mutual envy, starkly contrasting personalities - yeah, there was a reason why they were one of the top nominees. They shouldn't get even challenged here.

Group D-20
vs.
vs.

Now this is the dicey one. I picked the Porco Rosso duo over the Berserk duo last round, and nothing in the later arguments convinced me that the latter shouldn't fall at the bottom of the heap here. But do the former beat the CG rivalry? I'm going to say Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis does, by a hair, because their rivalry is a bit more personal. Really, though, this is almost a coin-flip pick for me, and I won't be disappointed here as long as Guts vs. Griffith doesn't continue.

Group D-21
vs.

Bad week for YYH match-ups. I don't care what Yusuke and Toguro have going for them, Ayeko vs. Ryoko is the defining combative romantic rivalry of the last two decades. If it seems cliched in retrospect, that's because it set the cliches that still freely populate harem romantic comedies to this day. The only times that they set aside their difference is when they need to work together to help Tenchi in a dangerous situation, and then it's always quite clear that it's just a temporary truce.

Group D-22
vs.

Neither here is particularly strong or has a clear edge over the other. Ranka vs. Sheryl is well-defined but not especially intense, while Vash vs. Knives has limited foreground screen time even if you count the Gung Ho Guns as just an extension of Knives (which I don't). With significant weaknesses on both sides, this match comes down to whether you favor the stark ideological differences underlying the Trigun conflict or the undeclared but still very real battle for Alto's heart in the MF setting. I'm giving a minor edge to the latter because I find the subtlety of the romantic rivalry to be a little more involved, so Ranka vs. Sheryl it is. Really, though, whoever wins this one is just cannon fodder for Ayeka vs. Ryoko next round, so I'm not sure that it matters.

Group D-23
vs.

Yeah, I don't see a perfect record being maintained here; in fact, I'm not at all sure that the AB rivals win because Hikaru vs. Akira had some pretty good supporting arguments last round. I still favor the Yuri vs. Angel rivalry here, though, primarily because watching it gradually deconstruct was nearly as interesting as the intense scenes and conflicts of philosophy which established it.

Group D-24
vs.

No question here. Kazuma vs. Ryuhou is one of the fiercest and most unrelenting rivalries in all of anime, a total conflict of two individuals on every level. Cute and funny as it is, the ES rivalry can't hold a candle to that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Bad week for YYH match-ups. I don't care what Yusuke and Toguro have going for them, Ayeko vs. Ryoko is the defining combative romantic rivalry of the last two decades. If it seems cliched in retrospect, that's because it set the cliches that still freely populate harem romantic comedies to this day. The only times that they set aside their difference is when they need to work together to help Tenchi in a dangerous situation, and then it's always quite clear that it's just a temporary truce.

While I do not disagree with your vote for this matchup, I do have an issue with your belief that "original" equates to "good", let alone "best". Just because the Tenchi duo invented the modern Harem scenario and associated tropes with respect to Anime does not mean that they should automatically be put on some sort of pedestal.

Because their place in Anime history is pretty much all you (and the guide) talked about, it seems like you are voting for them because they were the first occurrence in their one field, rather than because they are the best example.*

And that's of course assuming that being the best in a dubious field such as Harem rivalries is actually meaningful to those who, frankly, don't like Harem. Well, okay, so being a straight male I like Harem in principle, no denying that, but the way it is used in Anime is too-often groan-inducing.

So I guess what I'm saying is this: convince me that they actually deserve to win this match-up based on what happened in the franchise between the two rivals. If they're as good as you say then you should not need to use the "legacy" argument.

Let me put it this way; Mobile Suit Gundam was the first Real Robot Anime, but you would never be able to convince me that it was the best Real Robot show in existence.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
I didn't vote last round because there were no match-ups where I'd seen both anime. Things are a little different this time.

Group D-17
vs.

The Elrics v Homunculi

Group D-18
vs.

Firstly, I’d like to point out a linking problem. The info for Triela v Pinocchio links to the ANN page for the first season. Pinocchio doesn’t appear at all in that season. It should link to the Il Teatrino season.

The rivalry between Triela and Pinocchio isn't the outstanding element of Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino. (What is, is the moral contrast between the Social Welfare Agency and the Padania Republic Faction.) In fact, there are only two fights and the occasional bit of angst from Triela. That’s in 13 episodes. I disliked both Isamu and Guld and found the resolution to their conflict repugnant on more than one level. However the Isamu Dyson v Guld Bowman conflict is far more prominent and every bit as intense (until the misguided resolution). Neither match-up should proceed beyond the next round.

Group D-19
vs.

Yuki Sohma v Kyo Sohma

Group D-20
vs.
vs.

Porco Rosso v Donald Curtis

Group D-21
vs.

Ryoko v Ayeka
(The more memorable character should be placed first. Wink )

Group D-22
vs.

Ranka Lee v Sheryl Nome

Group D-23
vs.

Yuri “Yurippe” Nakamura v Kanade “Angel” Tachibana

Group D-24
vs.

Kazuma v Ryuhou
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
While I do not disagree with your vote for this matchup, I do have an issue with your belief that "original" equates to "good", let alone "best". Just because the Tenchi duo invented the modern Harem scenario and associated tropes with respect to Anime does not mean that they should automatically be put on some sort of pedestal.

Because their place in Anime history is pretty much all you (and the guide) talked about, it seems like you are voting for them because they were the first occurrence in their one field, rather than because they are the best example.*

And why must we automatically assume that because something is the "original" that it's not the best? Besides, I thought I had made it clear in previous posts that this is not just one of the defining romantic rivalries, but also one of the most knock-down, drag-out romantic battles that anime had yet seen. To say that they battle for Tenchi's love is not an exaggeration, and they constantly are getting on each other's nerves and/or attempting to thwart each other's efforts. Is that what you need to hear to be satisfied that I occasionally actually have other reasons, too, for saying that a match-up is "one of the best" besides it just being classic?

Geez, this is not an argument I should be needing to have this intensely this early in the tournament for this match-up, so consider this to be standing argument for the next couple of rounds, too.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.

The Elrics vs. Homunculi- Regardless which series you have seen, the conflict is so intense and so multi-sided. In FMA 1, even between the homonculi there are animosities and interests of various homonculi clash, which is more and more clear during their multiple encounters with Al, Ed and old Hoho. Despite the hatred/conflicting interest, homonculi can also side with the Elrics, which make the conflict even more interesting.

In Brotherhood, the Elrics need to face the Homonculi in order to save the world, quite literally, and the homonculi have totally different (more ruthless) personalities, making the conflict even more bloody than in FMA1.

Group D-18
vs.

Triela vs. Pinocchio

Group D-19
vs.

Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma

Group D-20
vs.
vs.

Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis

Group D-21
vs.

Yusuke Urameshi vs. Toguro

Group D-22
vs.

Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives- I never saw the lack of Miles physical presence as his nonexistance- he is present in the series in so many different forms before he makes an appereance- through Vash's memories, his mutilated body, his philosophy born out of the tragic past that the shared with his brother, and finally through his Gung Ho Guns with Legato. And definitely the two different philosophies- the love for humanity and the hatred is what keeps this series going.

Group D-23
vs.

Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya

Group D-24
vs.
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed[/quote]

Kazuma vs. Ryuhou
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Results.

The Pokemon rivalry losing hurt a couple people, but accuracy was overall above average compared to past tournaments.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
Match D-17: Elrics vs Homunculi (Full Metal Alchemist franchise)

Match D-18: Triela vs Pinocchio (Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino)

Match D-19: Yuki and Kyo Sohma (Fruits Basket)

Match D-20: Guts vs Griffith (Berserk)

Match D-21: Ayeka vs Ryoko (Tenchi Muyo)

Match D-22: Vash the Stampede vs Millions Knives (Trigun)
Despite the love triangle they get caught up in with Alto in Macross Frontier, Ranka and Sheryl still have great respect for one another because of their capabilities as singers and becoming close friends through their ordeals with the Rajah thus it lacks much in the way of hostility. Meanwhile in Trigun, Knives is indirectly making Vash's life a living hell through his control of the Gung Ho Guns as the latter tries seeking him out while strictly upholding his vow to never kill with this ideology getting constantly tested by the Gung Ho Guns via Knives' manipulations. While I can see the lack of direct confrontation between the brothers being a major issue next round, the feud between Knives and Vash is still a heated ideological one which shows more hostility than the romantic triangle that Ranka and Sheryl get caught up in involving Alto. So I'll vote for Vash and Knives for one more round.

Match D-23: Hikaru Shindo vs Akira Touya (Hikaru no Go)

Match D-24: Kazuma vs Ryuhou (S-Cry-Ed)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Key, I am going to try and make a pick to send to you as a possible video clip for the X-TV group. It's a bit difficult, of course, since we never get all characters involved together but I'll see which one I think represents things the best (currently leaning towards the Satsuki vs Yuzuriha fight)

Anyway, voting ...

Group D-17
Voting for: The Elrics vs. Homunculi, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise

The little I've seen of FMA and the fair amount I know about it really cements this rivalry as one of the top contenders out there.

Group D-18
Voting for: Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman, Macross Plus

I haven't seen all Il Teatrino now but I'm not sure that the Triela and Pinochio rivalry really has enough screentime for me to vote for it any longer. Going off the guide, this doesn't seem to be a problem for the Macross Plus guys.

Group D-19
Voting for: Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket

Another case like the FMA rivalry above, though I am a bit more familiar with Furaba. Definitely a top contender in my mind.

Group D-20
Voting for: Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk

I know arguments have been made against Guts and Griffith but this still strikes me as the best choice out of the three here. The difference between them and how things end really makes me want to watch Berserk (though I won't, unless the new series/movie/whatever it is (I forgot) turns out to have an actual ending).

Group D-21
Voting for: Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo! franchise

Interestingly, I find that being a "classic" is actually an advantage for a show in this tournament, at least for me. I suppose the basic rivalry structure isn't something that can be dramatically improved overtime, if that makes any sense.

Regardless, these guys are (apparently) a classic rivalry and therefore they have my vote.

Group D-22
Voting for: Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives, Trigun

Group D-23
Voting for: Yuri “Yurippe” Nakamura vs. Kanade “Angel” Tachibana, Angel Beats!

Group D-24
Voting for: Pedro vs. That Man, Excel Saga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.

The Elrics vs. Homunculi

Group D-18
vs.

Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman

Group D-19
vs.

Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma
I don't like them, but I have to admit that their conflict is a source of some funny moments.

Group D-20
vs.
vs.

Guts vs. Griffith

Group D-21
vs.

Yusuke Urameshi vs. Toguro

Group D-22
vs.

Ranka Lee vs. Sheryl Nome

Group D-23
vs.

Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya
This is a top rivalry. I don't know how strong the conflict between the moe girls is, but none of the arguments that have been provided so far make them look stronger than Hikaru and Akira. And Hikaru and Akira's conflict is critical to the plot. The whole plot revolves around their conflict.

Group D-24
vs.

Kazuma vs. Ryuhou
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
D-17
Domon Kassu vs. Master Asia, Mobile Fighter G Gundam vs.
Choosing: Elrics vs Homunculi
Because I could probably be convinced to switch my vote out of pity if someone makes a case for G Gundam, but the FMA choice is a solid one.

D-18
Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman, Macross Plus vs.
Choosing: Isamu vs Guld
Because The Isamu vs Guld conflict has all the intensity of the Triela Pinocchio one, but it also covers a broader field of battle. Beyond this, there is also the history behind the conflict to provide it with more weight.

D-19
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket vs.
Choosing: Yuki vs Kyo
Because There's a whole messy tangle of feelings and inter-family politics behind the Sohma conflict, whereas the Yugi-Seito one is mainly just ego, and not quite as equally distributed.

D-20
Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk vs.
Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis, Porco Rosso vs.
Choosing: Porco vs Donald
Because This is mainly a rehash of last round, so I'm voting the same way. While the baseball in Cross Game was plenty entertaining, I don't really remember that much of it, so it doesn't rate highly enough to draw my vote away from Porco Rosso.

D-21
Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo! franchise vs.
Choosing: Ayeka vs Ryoko
Because Don't particularly care either way, except for the guide entry for the YYH nominee turns me off to them, as I mentioned in the previous round.

D-22
Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives, Trigun vs.
Choosing: Ranka vs Sheryl
Because While Vash and Knives fight may have a deeper ideological rift going for it, Vash spends at least as much time just battling the baser aspects of human nature as Knives machinations. Plus, there's the point that we don't see a whole lot of Knives.
A lot of people are pointing to Ranka and Sheryl's lack of animosity as a negative, but I disagree. Rivalries don't have to be hostile. It's nice to see a competition where the adversaries respect each other yet still strive against each other in multiple aspects.

D-23
Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya, Hikaru no Go vs.
Choosing: Yuri vs Kanade
Because There have been strong arguments for Hikaru and Akira, but to put it simply, Yuri's existence is given purpose by resisting Kanade, and spoiler[even after Yuri "wins" by having Kanade removed from a position of authority, the conflict between their two ideologies continues, and, in a sense, Kanade's ultimately turns out to triumph.]

D-24
Pedro vs. That Man, Excel Saga vs.
Choosing: Kazuma vs Ryuhou
Because No one cared about either match last time, but this time there is a little bit of a push for the sCRYed rivalry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 38