• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Too old for anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
@underworld_z - Please stop necro posting. Please make a new topic and not revive 6 year old ones.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
underworld_Z

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
it wasnot a necro post and i will post on anything i please it was simply my opinion i dont mean to start an arguement but i do have that right im sorry if i have offended you
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Necro post: To bring life to a dead thread; to post in a thread that hasn't had any new posts for a considerable amount of time.

The last post was in 2004 and its very unlikely you will get a response from the user you quoted. You are allowed to state your opinion on this subject, just instead make a new topic instead of picking through topics that haven't had posts for years. That was all I was trying to say. Plus some of the mods don't appreciate having dead posts be brought back to life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
alpinequeen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
I just got my Medicare card. I have a motorcycle and a pickup truck. I have two tanks of tropical fish and in the back yard a pond. I live with a friend who got me into anime back in the 90's with Slayers and Tenshi.

After that I went to Blockbuster and rented all of what they had including Ghost In The Shell, Now and Then and Here and Now, Metropolis, etc.

I joined Netflix and rented all the anime that interested me there. Then I canceled my membership.

My favorite all time anime movie is Spirited Away. My favorite series is Azumanga Daioh, which I first saw at Jacon (Orlando, Florida) back in 2004. My favorite Mecha series is the early Gundam stuff, Cowboy Bebop was so cool. I have given away more anime to young people than what I own now.

I have two large plastic totes filled with anime fansubs on CD and DVD, complete series of stuff.

Anime led me to Asian movies like the Korean film, Windstruck. I have the live action versions of You're Under Arrest and GTO.

I would love to see Jim Carey do a live action Lupin the 3rd before he gets too old.

The last two titles I bought were The Skycrawlers and The Girl Who Lept Through Time.

The friend I live with is the only person I can discuss Anime with. Everybody else I know say, what's anime? I tell them, Japanese cartoons.

Just as music speaks to each generation, Anime speaks to those who seek it out.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Lancerest wrote:

The point is, as I've mentioned in at least one other post, I'm 28. This makes me technically an adult my most standards. But when I watch Anime, or see it in any medium (such as in magazines, or just on my walls), I feel... comfortable. Maybe even ageless, if that makes any sense.
Just out of curiosity, how many 21+ year old people out there consider themselves avid fans? How does it affect your life view?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-09/producer/no-square-enix-anime-lost-money-in-8-years

Actually, according to Square Enix manag fans in that age range [21-28] would be about 10-20 years under the target age for most Otaku-oriented anime.

"Compared to games, Taguchi said that using anime in the publishing business is actually much easier. He noted that Square Enix specializes in targeted genres, such as moe, fujoshi (otaku of boys-love stories), surreal gag, and traditional shōnen manga. He cited Saki and Bamboo Blade as examples of moe titles aimed at males 30 to 40 years old. "

So I'd say we're all good to enjoy all kinds of anime/manga for years to come, and hey, there's lots of seinen and josei manga created for people our age anyways, along with gekiga, and manga mags aimed at Seniors [where Liej Matsumoto's done some work in the past], so I'd say we're still good.

I mean, look at all the newspaper strips that have had insanely long runs thanks to the old people who are dedicated readers? Mary Worth, Mark Trail, Rex Morgan and Blondie are very popular with seniors.

Comics for everyone!

edit- wait, just noticed the necroposting. Ignore and move along now people. Though it is an interesting topic. But yeah, new thread'ld be better- I imagine someo f thepeoeple from 2003-2004 posts might not still be visiting the forums to reply.

editedit- Key says it shall live Smile So yeah, this is an interesting thjing to discuss- keep in mind that there's a large contingent of superhero comics and indy comics fans in their 30's-50's, so I don't think it's that unusual to have anime fans in their late 20's-40's considering manga and anime have been commercially published here for over 20 years now. A lot of those early fans who would of been in their teens and 20's back then are still around, and participating in the fandom and/or still reading+watching tons of what's out there currently.

I recall Funimation had a review of their surveys and it showed a lot of their dvd-buying audience was made up of older fans- anyone have a link for that?

Last edited by Paploo on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
Actually, I'll allow this thread to get revived (even if it did happen because of necroposting) because it's a topic that comes up periodically in the forums and it might be interesting to see what people have said about this in the past. As a general rule, though, any thread (other than a series-specific commentary thread) which is more than a few months old shouldn't be revived, especially if it's being done to reply to a specific poster's comments.

And you've got two other issues to work on, underworld_Z:

1. Consecutive posts are strongly discouraged. In the future, please combine such posts into a single effort, even if that means combining responses to two different posts.

2. If you wish to continue to post around here then you must make an effort on your grammar, especially (in your case) proper capitalization and punctuation. We don't require perfection, but we do require, by forum rules, that you at least try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
No one is too old for anime.

I will be a fan the rest of my life.
chefneer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
SDAnimeFan wrote:
No one is too old for anime.

I will be a fan the rest of my life.

Well said. I didn't watch anime much when I was a kid, or cartoons in general. I remember seeing a few episodes of Speed Racer but I don't recall ever seeing an episode of Astro Boy or Sailor Moon. Now that I finally have discovered anime I wonder what I've missed over the years, which is one reason why I'm always on the lookout for some of those older shows. I can't imagine that I'll ever grow weary of it now, and I don't feel at all out of place when standing in front of the manga rack at the bookstore or in the anime section of a video store.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I dont think there is such a thing as being too old for anything.

A lot of people from my age group find it silly, their loss, but Im not really gonna go and although I dont agree (obviously) I am far away from making myself a poster saying that I love anime and put in on my door or generally share my interest with most people. I cant be bothered explaining why a 20+ woman likes watching 'cartoons'.

Although, I must say, sometimes when looking through various forums I DO feel somewhat old. Specially when I read a bunch of posts written clearly by someone at the mental level of a 12 year old kiddo (who actually only sometimes happens to be a 12 year old kiddo). I had a look at the introduction thread above, and I did not really see that many people who would be around my age or older as well...
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Many people as they grow older seek more sedate less frivolous forms of entertainment. This is an undeniable trend. But I think this is one of those things where it is very much up to the individual. Not only that but Anime is a broad media catering from very young children right up to mature artistic entertainment. Most people who say people are too old for Anime mean people are too old for DragonballZ. And even then it's subjective.

Bottom line is don't let anyone else tell you what to like Smile You only have one life don't spend it doing stuff you hate to fit in Anime hyper
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
As it was mentioned anime is just a medium with variety of possibilities to choose from. I think I won't ever be too old for it, but after some years I'm a bit bored of things that that medium offer to me. I used to watch everything I could get, now every season I pick up 2-3 series and finish one. I can write a long elaborate about things and trends that annoy me, and sometimes sigh "Oh man, can't they produce anything for 20 years females with a piece of brain between ears?" On the other hand it's really normal that our feelings evolved, No matter what we are interested in. As years pass we have less time, wider choice, money varies from time to time- it's impossible to have still that first enthusiasm.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
A while back, my wife dragged me into a mall comic shop because she wanted to look at some Star Trek figures they advertised. While there I wandered around as I am not interested in Star Trek. I saw some videos that looked interesting. At the time I had seen the word anime once with no idea what it referred to. I bought two of the videos and found I liked them. When I went back for more, I found new world that included comic books, graphic novels, posters figures and more. I have been into anime and manga ever since.

That was in August 1997, I was 52 years old at the time. I'm still going strong. About 1/3 of the available display and storage space in my house is devoted to anime and manga (the other 2/3 is occupied by my wife's dolls and teddy bears). You cannot be to old for anime.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Since Key gave the thumbs up for the thread saying open I'll go ahead and respond.

You can never be too old for anything when it comes to entertainment. I knew plenty of adults/grandparents who still liked Looney Tunes cartoons because it was something they watched and enjoyed while growing up. Plus most of our parents have most likely watched Disney movies with us when we were kids and enjoyed them.

I've been into anime for 15 years and still enjoy it to this day. My parents (mother especially, she said I need to sell off my collection to "buy better things" for me...whatever she means by that I couldn't tell you) think I need to "grow up" and stop liking anime because its for little kids. They fail to realize that there are tons of anime shows aimed for adults and that are not appropriate for children (like Elfen Lied). In my mother's case, its pretty hypocritical of her to say considering we went and saw Despicable Me in threatres and she enjoyed it. My parents are pretty close minded too (my Dad freaked when I got a tattoo for my 25th birthday) so I just ignore them. I love anime and they have no right to tell me what I can or cannot enjoy.

Its really up to you if you feel like you are too old to watch anime or not. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise as its your life.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
You're never too old for anime. I have a classmate in my General Genetic class who is 43 years old and he watches anime since he was 17. He watch anime when he first visited Japan when he was younger. I notice he watched anime on his Ipad via Netflix apps. He was watching Basilisk on his Ipad and I was shocked to see him watching this despite his age. But I was happy to see some people can watch anime no matter regardless of the age. For me, I'm never too old to watch anime, I won't stop watching and the same thing goes for video game. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan7el

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
It's not necessarily nostalgia. I didn't watch much anime as a kid, but I find a lot of new anime that I like every season.

It's purely entertainment value and interest for me. Japan produces a lot of good stuff. I'm sure other countries do too, but I think Japan does creates the most and some of the best.

Worth learning Japanese alone for, IMHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 16