• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Match D-1: Ladd Russo (Baccano)

Match D-2: Arsene Lupin (Lupin the 3rd)

Match D-3: Hitagi Senjougahara (Bakemonogatari)
While Jin has some badass feats, his personality is a bit bland compared to Mugen's. Hitagi's use of school utensils as weapons and her sharp tongue stick out more for me. But regardless of who wins, the winner of this match is quite likely gonna get picked off by the inevitable winner of D-4 next round.

Match D-4: Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
Qualifies as both a Captain Cool and Badass being easygoing, a skilled martial artist, gun-fighter pilot, and isn't afraid of engaging in situations that he knows he has a low chance of getting out of alive (his encounters with the Red Dragons, Mad Pierrot and Vincent).

Match D-5: Erin (Beast Player Erin)
She isn't afraid to go against the rules man established in raising beasts in her world and her friendly, optimistic personality allows many characters throughout the series, some even being antagonists, to be drawn to her.

Match D-6: Duke Togo (Golgo 13)

Match D-7: Ichiro Miyata (Hajime no Ippo)
Feel quite indifferent for either character in this match as Firo is the weakest of the Baccano entries for this tourney and I'm turned off by Miyata's personality. I'll give a slight edge to Miyata who finds himself spoiler[having to overcome the limitations of his fighting style] at a later point in his series. But regardless of the winner, they will be getting brutalized by Alucard next round.

Match D-8: Alucard (Hellsing)
I'd be tempted to vote for Kyouya thanks to how he handles things as the Host Club's "shadow leader" if he was up against weaker fodder. But against one of anime's most well-known badasses, he is quite outclassed here.

Match D-9: Yang Wen Li (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Match D-10: Xellos (Slayers franchise)
I've been looking into Slayers over the past month and I have to say I'm quite amused with some of the antics of Xellos' character as he messes with Lina's group and he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty if his interests and Lina's coincide. I see him surviving for a few rounds if he stays victorious.

Match D-11: Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell franchise)

Match D-12: Dark Schneider (Bastard)
I'll never forget the scene where spoiler[he was casually fending off an attack from Ninja Master Gaara while he was in the middle of making love with a woman], as well as spoiler[coming back to life to kick ass after tearing out his own heart]. Laughing

Match D-13: Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara)

Match D-14: Lucy (Elfen Lied)

Match D-15: Sebastian Michaelis (Black Butler)

Match D-16: Kamina (Gurren Lagann)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It's just as I feared. That last round really did have a severe negative impact on my minigame score. I'll really need a lot of luck if I'm going to regain some spots!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Ladd Russo, Baccano!
vs.
Marco Pagot/Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso because his personal journey is so entertaining and he is such a charismatic character. Ladd Russo, on the other hand, is verbose and completely one-dimensional. As much as I liked Baccano!, the scenes with Ladd Russo were often those where my interest lagged.

Group D-2
Arsene Lupin, Lupin III franchise
vs.
Mikura Suzuki, Mezzo DSA, Mezzo Forte

Arsene Lupin, mainly because I could never warm to the character designs in Mezzo.

Group D-3
Hitagi Senjourgahara, Bakemonogatari
vs.
Jin, Samurai Champloo

Jin

Group D-4
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Genkai, Yu Yu Hakusho

Spike

Group D-5
Atsuko Chiba/Paprika, Paprika
vs.
Erin, Beast Player Erin

Paprika because she is vivacious, clever, strange, in your face and does the most wondrous things. She's cool as both scientist and avatar (in completely different ways, though). By contrast, although sweet, determined and righteous, Erin becomes increasingly (and disappointingly) dour and earnest as the series progresses. I doubt that she smiles once in the last twenty episodes. Her lack of spark contributes to the series becoming almost unwatchable by episode 35.

Group D-6
Duke Togo, Golgo 13
vs.
Taisou, Giant Robo

Taisou because it will be galling to me if Duke Togo makes it to the second round whereas Mireille Bouquet didn’t.

Group D-7
Firo Prochainezo, Baccano!
vs.
Ichiro Miyata, Fighting Spirit

Firo Prochainezo because, unlike Ladd Russo, he is an interesting character who doesn’t rely on excess for his appeal.

Group D-8
Alucard, Hellsing franchise
vs.
Kyouya Ootari, Ouran High School Host Club

Alucard, only because I know him.

Group D-9
Yang Wen Li Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
Alberto, Giant Robo

Coin toss: Alberto

Group D-10
Saeko Busujima, High School of the Dead
vs.
Xellos, Slayers franchise

The psycho Saeko, if only for her breasts’ amazing, supersonic ability to dodge bullets.

Group D-11
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Kakashi Hatake, Naruto franchise

Motoko Kusanagi

Group D-12
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
vs.
Dark Schneider, Bastard!!

Scar

Group D-13
Shizuo Heiwajima, Durarara!!
vs.
Maximilien Jenius, Super Dimension Fortress Macross

Maximilien Jenius. 13 kids. Wow.

Group D-14
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye
vs.
Lucy, Elfen Lied

If people are able to separate Gankutsuou from the Count, I cannot see why they cannot separate Nyuu from Lucy. They are two different characters. Lucy was nominated; not Lucy/Nyuu. And why should she win this bracket? Just watch the first ten minutes of Elfen Lied.

Group D-15
Chouji Suitengu, Speed Grapher
vs.
Sebastien Michaelis, Black Butler

Chouji Suitengu

Group D-16
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Batou, Ghost in the Shell franchise

Batou, even though I do wish he’d use his (obviously top-notch) cyberbrain more often before shooting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Key wrote:

Don't let your impression of the series' merits distract you. Xellos certainly has his merits, but Saeko impressed me more as a cool character. (And, frankly, I found Xellos to be more a jerk than actually cool.)

Well, Xellos is a demon that feeds off and is empowered by negative emotions. It would be strange if he were not a jerk and showed some compassion. And I think he is one of the coolest jerks and I like his dark side best. I remember I was really sad when I was informed that in the later volumes that, unfortunately, are not animated Crying or Very sad he is apparently more malicious. I want to see more malicious Xellos. Crying or Very sad

Though being a jerk may be an innate quality to a demon, that doesn't make it more cool.

guet wrote:
Dark is an immortal, basically a god in human form, when compared with mortal men who have lost limbs and continued on I've got to give the edge to the mortals.

Except, he's not immortal. He can die. He does fight enemies that demonstrate potential to defeat and kill him. While he does occasionally dismiss lesser opponents as insignificant, Dark Schneider goes all out against those who can actually challenge him. Although he at times jokes that as the main character of the story he will turn out victorious, he does not rely on this as a given, and puts extreme effort into his battles. Perhaps more telling, he goes out of his way to not kill human opponents (for example, in his battle against Gaara, despite annihilating Gaara's fortress in one of his attacks, he simultaneously protected every single person inside the blast from fatal harm).

errinundra wrote:
And why should she win this bracket? Just watch the first ten minutes of Elfen Lied.

If any character deserves to be penalized for invincibility contributing to their fighting prowess, it's Lucy. Assuming we accept that Nyuu is a fully separate character (which is tricky, because Lucy is explicitly aware of her memories as Nyuu), Lucy doesn't even have to worry about anything less than a surprise attack with a high-powered sniper rifle, or another diclonius. In the latter case, one of her enemies was reluctant to fight, and the other trounced her. Not really that impressive of a record for a badass.

Group D-1
Ladd Russo, Baccano! vs.
Choosing: Porco Rosso
Because Ladd's certainly tough enough to be here, but his utter sociopathy detracts from his coolness in my mind.

Group D-2
Arsene Lupin, Lupin III franchise vs.
Choosing: Lupin
Because Because it doesn't matter.

Group D-3
Hitagi Senjourgahara, Bakemonogatari vs.
Jin, Samurai Champloo
Choosing: Hitagi
Because I think this may be the most painful choice I have come across in the first round. Jin has just about everything possible going for him for this tournament: calm demeanor, stylish appearance, deadly samurai, etc.
Hitagi is somewhat less lethal a fighter, but then one must also consider that her choice of armament is pens, paper, protractors, and various other school/office supplies (which she wields without supernatural abilities). Then there's her personality. She's intentionally intimidating and distant, yet still possessing an almost ethereal charm and attraction. She is rarely ever caught off-balance (pun not intended), and easily dominates any conversation she participates in with her elocution and tone of voice. Even though she may not be in control of a situation, she always presents herself as though she is.

Group D-4
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop vs.
Genkai, Yu Yu Hakusho
Choosing: Spike
Because I recall Genkai from the Supporting Character Tournament, and it seems something of a shame to see her go down so early, but Spike is the quintessential cool guy.

Group D-5
Atsuko Chiba/Paprika, Paprika vs.
Erin, Beast Player Erin
Choosing: Erin
Because Dr. Chiba strikes me as a little too clinical to be really cool.

Group D-6
Duke Togo, Golgo 13 vs.
Taisou, Giant Robo
Choosing: Taisou
Because Haven't seen either, and while the consensus is that the Duke is more badass, but bland, I'll take the (presumably) less bland character this time. Not that this will likely matter.

Group D-7
Firo Prochainezo, Baccano! vs.
Choosing: Firo
Because Firo is dreamy.

Group D-8
Alucard, Hellsing franchise vs.
Choosing: Alucard
Because Kyoya is a bit more subtle; a behind the scenes schemer. Alucard has buckets of style, an in-your-face attitude when he so chooses, and he totally kicks ass.

Group D-9
Yang Wen Li Legend of the Galactic Heroes vs.
Alberto, Giant Robo
Choosing: Yang
Because As I'm unfamiliar with both, classicalzawa's reasoning swayed me.

Group D-10
Saeko Busujima, High School of the Dead vs.
Choosing: Saeko
Because I always keep forgetting who Xellos was, so he can't have been that cool. I'm pretty sure if I were to pick someone from Slayers for this tournament, it would have been Lina, and even then, I'd still pick Saeko here. Despite her spoiler[inherent sadism], she manages to act level-headed despite the chaos around her, and in combat she is a storm of fury against the undead.

Group D-11
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise vs.
Choosing: Motoko
Because Kakashi is a pretty cool dude, and his quirks don't really undermine this, but he can't quite measure up to Kusanagi's inhuman chillness.

Group D-12
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood vs.
Choosing: Dark Schneider
Because I'm not exactly sure why, but I don't find the FMA:B version of Scar quite as compelling as the original. Plus, my main reservations about Dark Schneider in the capacity of this tournament are balanced against similar negatives for Scar, and since there's no question as to which of the two would win in a head-to-head fight, I'm going with that as the determining factor.

Group D-13
Shizuo Heiwajima, Durarara!! vs.
Choosing: Shizuo
Because I kind of felt Max was something of a marginal inclusion anyway, despite the surge of support once he was nominated. Sure, he was a good pilot, and smooth enough at least to hook up with Milia, but he seemed to fairly easily fade into the background at times, and that's a notable flaw in this tournament. Shizuo may have trouble keeping his cool, but when he's not provoked, he's an awesome dude, and when he is provoked, he will wreck stuff up.

Group D-14
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye vs.
Lucy, Elfen Lied
Choosing: Honoka
Because I cannot vote for Lucy. While she may wade through machine gun fire as though it were a swarm of flies, her callousness loses her points for coolness, and her tendency to regress to one with an infantile mentality is a major flaw.

Group D-15
Chouji Suitengu, Speed Grapher vs.
Choosing: Sebastien
Because Seriously, guys, this one is neck and neck, and 1.5 people have commented on this match up. I can't say either way as I've seen neither show. I'll fill this in before midnight Monday, but I don't want to resort to a coin toss.
More favorable comments for Sebastien than Chouji.

Group D-16
Kamina, Gurren Lagann vs.
Choosing: Kamina
Because Kamina's brazen contempt for limits of any kind and stalwart determination to surpass any obstacles he encounters, and his encouragement for others to follow earn him my vote here.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mow123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Two days and no votes? Well, I hope to remedy this drought of votes, and I hope many others are just waiting until later to maker their voices heard.

Group D-1
Ladd Russo, Baccano! vs.
Choosing: Ladd
Because Ladd is the bolder, more colorful pick that embraces badassdom and comes off as cool despite being a remorseless murderer.

Group D-2
Arsene Lupin, Lupin III franchise vs.
Choosing: Lupin
Because Based on the current arguments. I could possibly be swayed the other way.

Group D-3
Hitagi Senjourgahara, Bakemonogatari vs.
Jin, Samurai Champloo
Choosing: Hitagi
Because Jin may be a quiet, calm, stylish, and a deadly samurai, but Hitagi has a lot more personality, and she leaves a much stronger impression. Would she be considered cool by the general non-anime watching population? Probably not, but I think there's a lot about her character that makes her appealing and cool to all of the otaku out there.

Group D-4
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop vs.
Genkai, Yu Yu Hakusho
Choosing: Spike

Group D-5
Atsuko Chiba/Paprika, Paprika vs.
Erin, Beast Player Erin
Choosing: Chiba

Group D-6
Duke Togo, Golgo 13 vs.
Taisou, Giant Robo
Choosing: Duke Togo
Because Clearly more badass, and I wouldn't say he is bland, but just a bit emotionally detached.

Group D-7
Firo Prochainezo, Baccano! vs.
Choosing: Firo
Because The most distinctly stylish character is a show that relies heavily on style. He's graceful, he's a charmer, and he proves that he can be deadly and indestructible when the situations calls for it.

Group D-8
Choosing: Kyouya
Because Sure, Alucard has buckets of style, an in-your-face attitude, and he's badass in a fight, but he lacks grace, and his sometimes uncaring nature makes him unlikable. Kyouya is much more subtle and unique. This tournament has plenty of blood hungry badasses, but Kyouya is one of few in that has a natural elegance and charm. Plus, being a behind the scenes power broker is pretty cool in my book, and a bit more sophisticated than just whupping someone in a physical fight.

Group D-9
Yang Wen Li Legend of the Galactic Heroes vs.
Alberto, Giant Robo
Choosing: Yang
Because Yang is a rare breed of cool that embraces pacifism, but knows when the best way to a long term peace and greater good is to engage in a just war. He is also a unique choice because he embraces humility, but at the same time is charismatic, persuasive and well liked by his people. Serving as this tournament's most realistic type of cool character that relies more on his superior moral fiber and well though out principles and ideals to be cool than supernatural powers, or an aggressive in your face personality, Yang will probably not get the support that he deserves. The ideals that this character stands for is enough to inspire an entire nation to fight against a superior enemy. This inspirational spirit is so strong that it spoiler[ even lasts after his his own death. His death also proves that he was willing to sacrifice his own life for what he believes in. ] <-- Major spoiler do not look if you have any intention of seeing this series.

Group D-10
Saeko Busujima, High School of the Dead vs.
Choosing: Saeko
Because Going off the comments.

Group D-11
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise vs.
Choosing: Motoko
BecauseDorcas_Aurelia said it well, Motoko's inhumanly chilled nature mixed in with her inhumanly badass combat moves make her a powerful choice.

Group D-12
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood vs.
Choosing: Dark Schneider
Because Both character share the same weakness, and Scar doesn't even come close to matching Dark Schnieder in his acts of impressive physical feats.

Group D-13
Shizuo Heiwajima, Durarara!! vs.
Choosing: Shizuo

Group D-14
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye vs.
Lucy, Elfen Lied
Choosing: Honoka
Because Based on the comments, I cannot vote for Lucy.

Group D-15
Chouji Suitengu, Speed Grapher vs.
Choosing: Sebastien
Because Seriously, why is this even close? On one side, you have an unlikable and callous businessman, who has happens to have supernatural powers because he takes advantage of a teenage girl. I honestly found his character to be despicable. I think the main character of the series would have made a much better inclusion than this heartless villain. Sure, it's later revealed that he spoiler[ has a tragic past, and perhaps was forced down an evil path against his will ]<--- minor and vague spoiler, but I still found his character to be uncool even after we learned this.

Sebastien on the other hand, has everything this tournament is asking for. He's charming, confident, sophisticated, and charismatic. He leaves a strong impression with his powerful personality, he's deeply passionate and conscientious, and he's a bad ass in the physical arena to when things turn ugly. I honestly don't understand why this one is close, and I am very familiar with both characters. If you are still having doubts reread the arguments made for both characters and read the guides, and you will most likely conclude that Sebastien has the edge. I think the main culprit here is that characters that go the charming route are dismissed as wusses, and this couldn't be further from the case with this hellishly cool butler.

Group D-16
Kamina, Gurren Lagann vs.
Choosing: Kamina
Because Kamina's bravado has no limits as does his bravery and determination. This makes him cool character despite being a bit too straight forward.

Thanks Dorcas_Aurelia.

Last edited by mow123 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
TGroup D-8
Choosing: Alucard
Because Sure, Alucard has buckets of style, an in-your-face attitude, and he's badass in a fight, but he lacks grace, and his sometimes uncaring nature makes him unlikable. Kyouya is much more subtle and unique. This tournament has plenty of blood hungry badasses, but Kyouya is one of few in that has a natural elegance and charm. Plus, being a behind the scenes power broker is pretty cool in my book, and a bit more sophisticated than just whupping someone in a physical fight.

Just checking, but you're reasoning seems to imply you're voting for Kyouya rather than Alucard, but the vote doesn't reflect that.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Though being a jerk may be an innate quality to a demon, that doesn't make it more cool.

It also doesn’t make him less cool. Besides, it’s not a morality contest.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, the ridiculous arguments levied in Yang's favor make it abundantly clear that the vast majority of you have never witnessed the glory that is Giant Robo Anime cry
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

It also doesn’t make him less cool. Besides, it’s not a morality contest.

Being a jerk does make him less cool. And it's not about morality, it's about not being petty.

@Generic: I think it's pretty safe to say the vast majority have never seen LotGH, either. They're both pretty obscure series. The encyclopedia had it as being seen by 726 people as opposed to Giant Robo's 543 (or did back during nominations, anyway).
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I know, and since Alberto and Yang are pretty much polar opposites as characters this will come down to personal preference anyway. I'm just a bit bitter.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
Because Yang is a rare breed of cool that embraces pacifism, but knows when the best way to a long term peace and greater good is to engage in a just war. He is also a unique choice because he embraces humility, but at the same time is charismatic, persuasive and well liked by his people. Serving as this tournament's most realistic type of cool character that relies more on his superior moral fiber and well though out principles and ideals to be cool than supernatural powers, or an aggressive in your face personality, Yang will probably not get the support that he deserves. The ideals that this character stands for is enough to inspire an entire nation to fight against a superior enemy. This inspirational spirit is so strong that it spoiler[ even lasts after his his own death. His death also proves that he was willing to sacrifice his own life for what he believes in. ]

But being charismatic and inspirational, and especially being an idealist, does not automatically make a character cool, and that's the problem that I have voting for Yang here. He was a much stronger contender in the Best Hero/Heroine tournament, where those merits mattered more. Cool generally implies "colorful" and possessing some degree of appealing style, and that's where Alberto has the advantage. Even though LoGH is a fairly obscure series overall, it's well-known to regulars in this tournament and certainly better-known than Giant Robo, and in this case I have to wonder if that isn't giving him the edge here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
I happen to be more familiar with Giant Robo than LoGH, plus the latter I never found very appealing or interesting. Pretty sure that will dictate which character from those respective series I will vote for, but I do know that at least one Giant Robo person is getting my vote. Every one of the heroes and villains in that series seemed to be very unique and stylish and I really liked the show as well. LoGH characters just seemed to be a few pretty boys, and a lot of other plain ones, none being particularly cool to me.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Being a jerk does make him less cool. And it's not about morality, it's about not being petty.

We can agree to disagree. And I don’t know why his being a jerk occasionally is such an issue, most of the time he leaves a totally different impression and I remember two occasions when he may come across as a jerk in 52 episodes (Slayers Next and Try) that is too few and far between to be perceived negatively.

Key wrote:
But being charismatic and inspirational, and especially being an idealist, does not automatically make a character cool, and that's the problem that I have voting for Yang here.

I would agree if it were any other idealist from anime, apart from Balsa, who I can imagine to repeat in his head, like a broken record, mantra “I’ll not kill”. Yang is not a typical anime idealist, he knows when to stick to his ideals and when they are pipe dreams.

It could be argue that to certain degree his idealism makes him cool because he always tries to come up with a sly trick that can reduce casualties to the bare minimum. Because of this, he manages to do some astounding things that are part of his ‘appealing style’. And he does have enough colourful personality. Yang is a fully fleshed out character with hopes, doubts, fears and idiosyncrasies. He is a level-headed, competent and genius commander adept at trickery, but on the other hand he is a lazy, laid-back tea-holic that sometimes tries to justify, in an amusing way, his habits.

Key wrote:
Cool generally implies "colorful" and possessing some degree of appealing style, and that's where Alberto has the advantage.

I wonder if people really think like that. If it were the case, then why is Kino from Kino no Tabi in this tournament? Why does she have such a big support? Why is Ginko from Mushishi in this tournament? I think characters are cool in their own way. Some are cool because they are colourful, some are cool because of different reasons.
mow123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
mow123 wrote:
Because Yang is a rare breed of cool that embraces pacifism, but knows when the best way to a long term peace and greater good is to engage in a just war. He is also a unique choice because he embraces humility, but at the same time is charismatic, persuasive and well liked by his people. Serving as this tournament's most realistic type of cool character that relies more on his superior moral fiber and well though out principles and ideals to be cool than supernatural powers, or an aggressive in your face personality, Yang will probably not get the support that he deserves. The ideals that this character stands for is enough to inspire an entire nation to fight against a superior enemy. This inspirational spirit is so strong that it spoiler[ even lasts after his his own death. His death also proves that he was willing to sacrifice his own life for what he believes in. ]

But being charismatic and inspirational, and especially being an idealist, does not automatically make a character cool, and that's the problem that I have voting for Yang here. He was a much stronger contender in the Best Hero/Heroine tournament, where those merits mattered more. Cool generally implies "colorful" and possessing some degree of appealing style, and that's where Alberto has the advantage. Even though LoGH is a fairly obscure series overall, it's well-known to regulars in this tournament and certainly better-known than Giant Robo, and in this case I have to wonder if that isn't giving him the edge here.

Perhaps, I'm highlighting the wrong parts of the Yang's character for me to sell you on his character. He's a very deep and complex character, and I believe that he's a very strong personality and he's quite colorful, but more in a way that's unusual to anime. He drinks brandy in his tea, he's calm, collected, and never fazed in battle, and he has the courage to speak honestly despite the consequences from the powers above. Yang Wenli can be quite the badass in battle, he always remains calm, he sticks to his plan, and he's able to manipulate even the best commanders including the Imperial leader Reinhard into making mistakes. Yang is not just a great commander, he's practically unbeatable in battle. spoiler[ His only loss was when his government forced him to surrender because the Imperial army had occupied his government's headquarters. And I really don't consider it a loss, and I think it is quite cool that he willingly surrendered due to principle even when victory was in his grasp and it was unpopular decision for those on board on his ship. ]
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Ladd Russo, Baccano!
vs.
Choix: Marco Pagot/Porco Rosso - it has been said that Hayao Miyazaki bases many of his characters off real people, in this case Marco is based loosely off Miyazaki himself. I've always thought Miyazaki was pretty cool, so I don't see why Marco isn't either.

Group D-2
Arsene Lupin, Lupin III franchise
vs.
Choix: Arsene Lupin

Group D-3
Hitagi Senjourgahara, Bakemonogatari
vs.
Jin, Samurai Champloo
Choix: Jin - While Mugen is a badass type of cool, Jin his counterpart is a calm, laid back type of cool. Those two types of cool complemented each other very well in that show, and Hitagi in my opinion doesn't stand up to either.

Group D-4
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Genkai, Yu Yu Hakusho
Choix: Spike Spiegel - it was actually quite difficult to vote for Spike in this round since I happen to be so fond of Yu Yu Hakusho. But I never quite got involved enough in the series to be familiar enough with Genkai herself. That reason alone tips the scales in favor of Spike.

Group D-5
Atsuko Chiba/Paprika, Paprika
vs.
Erin, Beast Player Erin
Choix: Atsuko Chiba/Paprika - since it's almost as if this represents two separate people, if either one of them are over 50% as cool as Erin, collectively that makes Chiba/Paprika come out on top in coolness.

Group D-6
Duke Togo, Golgo 13
vs.
Taisou, Giant Robo
Choix: Taisou

Group D-7
Firo Prochainezo, Baccano!
vs.
Choix: Firo Prochainezo

Group D-8
Alucard, Hellsing franchise
vs.
Choix: Alucard

Group D-9
Yang Wen Li Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
Alberto, Giant Robo
Choix: Alberto

Group D-10
Saeko Busujima, High School of the Dead
vs.
Choix: Xellos

Group D-11
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Choix: Motoko Kusanagi

Group D-12
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
vs.
Choix: Dark Schneider - The popularity of Bastard!! compared with the opposing series' character I feel works in Scar's favor. This is not a sympathy vote though. Dark is one of my favorite all time male badasses in anime, and he's quite the comedian too.

Group D-13
Shizuo Heiwajima, Durarara!!
vs.
Choix: Maximilien Jenius

Group D-14
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye
vs.
Lucy, Elfen Lied
Choix: Honoka

Group D-15
Chouji Suitengu, Speed Grapher
vs.
Choix: Sebastien Michaelis

Group D-16
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Choix: Batou
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 53