• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why ANN Is Against SOPA/PIPA

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
One might also consider the trends outside anime, it's not like we've seen a 50% decrease in sales of Hollywood films despite the fact it's easier to find streams for those these days also.

Different media are showing different trends, video games are trending towards downloadable independent games and blockbuster video game series like Call of Duty (this has led to a lot less variety). The PSP really seems to have suffered from piracy as the games sales dropped quite a bit (outside of Monster Hunter). With anime you have a young audience who knows a lot about technology. Anime is in a bad spot since it can't really make blockbuster style shows, and you can't exactly make anime on a budget either.

Movies have the advantage of being about the experience at a theater, you can't replicate a theater experience at home unless you have quite a bit of money. Pirating Transformers 3 and watching it on a tv is a lot different from seeing it at a theater with the sound booming all around you.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
Let's see... I recall reading somewhere that the cost per episode was something like $300000, so a thirteen episode anime could be funded by convincing sixty-five thousand people to pony up $60 a pop; if we go with a more conservative $500K per episode, that comes out to 108334 people. If we assume that it takes $1 million to cover other costs(such as getting everybody physical discs), that would add a need for an additional 16667 customers, for a total somewhere between 81667 and 125000. Provided I haven't unwittingly lowballed the figures too much, it's certainly doable.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The fact that you think that a copyright is even close to a monopoly shows that arguing with you is a lost cause in all cases and ways.

Given that the U.S. constitution includes the phrase "exclusive right" when referring to patents and copyrights, calling it a monopoly is not incorrect.

The problem has arisen from "To promote the progress of science and useful arts" being ignored in favor of "To assure an income stream to the copyright holder for as long as possible", and to a lesser extent from "for limited times" being interpreted rather liberally.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Let's see... I recall reading somewhere that the cost per episode was something like $300000, so a thirteen episode anime could be funded by convincing sixty-five thousand people to pony up $60 a pop; if we go with a more conservative $500K per episode, that comes out to 108334 people. If we assume that it takes $1 million to cover other costs(such as getting everybody physical discs), that would add a need for an additional 16667 customers, for a total somewhere between 81667 and 125000. Provided I haven't unwittingly lowballed the figures too much, it's certainly doable.

Except the average human being really isn't going to do that, they are fully expecting someone else to pony up the $60 dollars for them. That's the problem we have, Japan can't pay for all these anime series by themselves, and not enough people worldwide are chipping in.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
The fact that you think that a copyright is even close to a monopoly shows that arguing with you is a lost cause in all cases and ways.

Given that the U.S. constitution includes the phrase "exclusive right" when referring to patents and copyrights, calling it a monopoly is not incorrect.

The problem has arisen from "To promote the progress of science and useful arts" being ignored in favor of "To assure an income stream to the copyright holder for as long as possible", and to a lesser extent from "for limited times" being interpreted rather liberally.
You lot talk as if that is a cardinal sin, or a felony offence. It highlights that you can't seem to see that without the one, there won't be the other. It's like some kind of autism, or none of you are adults who work to support yourselves. The problem with entitlists (I think I've just created a new word! I'd better copyright it. Razz ) is that they simply can't get it out of their head that not every artist, or creator, or author is philantropic, and act all hard done by when asked politely to stop copying their creations without permission and refusing to do so are now feeling their collars grabbed by the law. Many are doing it for a living just like any tradesman, or craftsman. Simples. That's why all these entitlement arguments are so out of sync with the real world. Rolling Eyes
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

You lot talk as if that is a cardinal sin, or a felony offence. It highlights that you can't seem to see that without the one, there won't be the other.

We had plenty of creative work when copyright terms were more limited. The point was to encourage people to create new work instead of simply riding on the coat tails of old work for as long as possible. Copyrighted work is supposed to eventually become public domain. That's the deal.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

You lot talk as if that is a cardinal sin, or a felony offence. It highlights that you can't seem to see that without the one, there won't be the other.

We had plenty of creative work when copyright terms were more limited. The point was to encourage people to create new work instead of simply riding on the coat tails of old work for as long as possible. Copyrighted work is supposed to eventually become public domain. That's the deal.
So they lenghtened the terms of eventually. Deal. Razz
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
You lot talk as if that is a cardinal sin, or a felony offence. It highlights that you can't seem to see that without the one, there won't be the other. It's like some kind of autism, or none of you are adults who work to support yourselves. The problem with entitlists (I think I've just created a new word! I'd better copyright it. Razz ) is that they simply can't get it out of their head that not every artist, or creator, or author is philantropic, and act all hard done by when asked politely to stop copying their creations without permission and refusing to do so are now feeling their collars grabbed by the law. Many are doing it for a living just like any tradesman, or craftsman. Simples. That's why all these entitlement arguments are so out of sync with the real world. Rolling Eyes
So you're just going to gloss over the fact that all the arguments you've faced have been either ethical or utilitarian?
Quote:
So they lenghtened the terms of eventually. Deal. Razz
So SOPA/PIPA break the internet. Deal.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Quite: a copyright is a legal monopoly for a specific form of work. A patent is a more general legal monopoly on an invention. Legal restrictions are one common type of barrier to entry for monopoly markets. Others include fixed cost dominated industries such as local water utilities and local landline telephone, and network economies dominated markets like operating systems for desktop computers turned out to be in the 1980's.

The abuses of the constitutional copyright power is sometime called the "Micky Mouse" rule, in that "copyright terms will be extended by ten years every ten years so long as required to prevent Micky Mouse from falling into the public domain". However, this abuse has very little to do with the anime industry, where the major focus of copyright piracy is on seasonal series within their first year after release and on currently ongoing long running series that were started within the past decade.

Mohawk52 wrote:
... You lot talk as if that is a cardinal sin, or a felony offence. ...

Where, exactly, did TAO talk of it as a cardinal sin or a felony offense? It seems to be talked of an abuse of the express constitutional grounds of the constitutional power ... which it is.

Quote:
... It highlights that you can't seem to see that without the one, there won't be the other.

Copyright works just fine as an incentive for the creation of original work at the standard Berne Convention terms ~ however, until we see evidence to the contrary, it appears that Disney's intention is to extend the copyright terms indefinitely.

Quote:
... It's like some kind of autism, or none of you are adults who work to support yourselves. The problem with entitlists (I think I've just created a new word! I'd better copyright it. Razz ) is that they simply can't get it out of their head that not every artist, or creator, or author is philantropic, and act all hard done by when asked politely to stop copying their creations without permission and refusing to do so are now feeling their collars grabbed by the law. Many are doing it for a living just like any tradesman, or craftsman. Simples. That's why all these entitlement arguments are so out of sync with the real world. Rolling Eyes

What does that have to do with The Ancient One? He supports the rights of creators to dictate who can and cannot copy their work, under reasonable copyright terms. The life of the author plus 27 years can be a fair long while.

Indeed, recognizing corporation abuses of the copyright system as a distinct problem assumes that copyright itself is legitimate: for the "entitlists" (you'd have to trademark it, its too short to copyright ~ hurry up and register), there is no "reasonable, stable" copyright term greater than 0.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's true I want to abolish it, but insofar as you want to go in the general direction of reducing it I have no qualms with that and would support such an effort.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You lot talk as if that is a cardinal sin, or a felony offence. It highlights that you can't seem to see that without the one, there won't be the other. It's like some kind of autism, or none of you are adults who work to support yourselves.

Apparently you have your blinders on, and think that anyone that doesn't completely agree with you is anti-copyright.

Copyright serves a very necessary purpose, so important that it was actually included in the constitution. What is the cardinal sin is that the focus was changed from promoting the creation of new works to being a residual income source for the creator (and now their descendants).

I haven't streamed or downloaded a fansub since July 2010, and have no plans to do so unless something has gone unlicensed for 5 years (and perhaps not then). I also have premium subscriptions to CR, TAN, and Funimation. Does that sound like an "entitlist" to you?

Oh, and as for your "none of you are adults who work to support yourselves", shot across the bow, I hope you like the sound of the shot splashing in the water and a voice coming from the other direction saying, "You missed"!

Given that I am 51, and have been living on my own for and working for a few decades now, odds are I have been doing so almost as long as you have been alive.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
[POST DELETED]

- FMABleach

Last edited by FMABleach on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Let's see... I recall reading somewhere that the cost per episode was something like $300000, so a thirteen episode anime could be funded by convincing sixty-five thousand people to pony up $60 a pop; if we go with a more conservative $500K per episode, that comes out to 108334 people. If we assume that it takes $1 million to cover other costs(such as getting everybody physical discs), that would add a need for an additional 16667 customers, for a total somewhere between 81667 and 125000.

Is this supposed to be in the hypothetical no copyright world, where any buyer can rip the release and put out their own parallel release? If we assume that we can convince 20% of the total market to be the donkeys that the rest of the market takes a free ride on, you are talking about 325,000 to 625,000 total customers. Even more if we can only convince 10% of the market to be the donkeys.

Quote:
Provided I haven't unwittingly lowballed the figures too much, it's certainly doable.

Indeed, independent of whether we are talking about the hypothetical no-copyright market or about today's market with copyright, I don't get how you go from throwing around Kickstarter type numbers of 65,000 to 125,000 and then concluding "it is certainly doable". Certainly only a small minority of those numbers could come from the US, where a marginal series will be licensed under terms that allow sales of 3,000 to be considered a success.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I am also deeply concerned over the coming Trans-Pacific Partnership talks. Some people might remember that Ken Akamatsu of Love Hina and Negima fame was concerned that these sorts of international agreements could lead towards the discontinuation of fan works. Naturally, this could spiral out of hand when one has to define what is and is not a 'derivative' work of something else. I remember that a Japanese law professor was also concerned that it could be used to prevent the personal import of otherwise legal copyrighted material into a foreign country. I tend to feel that this sort of thing is an unintended consequence of such policymaking, but is nonetheless seriously concerning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12