• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2022

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer wasn't that bad to be honest despite its production being rough and World End's harem deserves to the be worst on the list.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:22 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
I didn't vote in the survey, but one anime movie which didn't get much attention was Sing a Bit of Harmony.

It had a brief run at the cinema and was quite competent and enjoyable.

Might try to get the blu-ray/DVD.

One of the best movies for the year
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Lastly, I never said I personally was ok with a Teen (Especially a 13-15 year old) marrying an adult irl and to be clear I am not ok with it. With my previous post I was talking about the in a relationship aspect (Dating, being together).

Hey guess what, they're both gross and basically the same thing from an ethical standpoint.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Lastly, I never said I personally was ok with a Teen (Especially a 13-15 year old) marrying an adult irl and to be clear I am not ok with it. With my previous post I was talking about the in a relationship aspect (Dating, being together).

But there's a word for what you're describing here: it's grooming. Having a romantic relationship with someone that you cannot or should not be having sex with until the clock strikes midnight on a certain day is inherently creepy and manipulative. Joel Haver even made a video about the Joker doing this and specifically framed it as the creepiest thing Joker could ever do:

https://youtu.be/S7M24KrqhBw
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, putting something like Fruits Basket prelude on a Worst of the Year list when we have mind-numbingly boring crap like Generic Video Game Isekai #10820808 or the dumpster fire that is Platinum End is a freaking sin and just.....wrong.

Exactly HOW many anime did you even watch, Caitlyn and James?

Rolling Eyes

These are my favorites of 2022 (going chronologically):

Demon Slayer; Entertainment District Arc
The Case Study of Vanitas Core 2
Life With an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated Into a Total Fantasy Knockout
Spy x Family
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
This Healer is A Pain in the Ass
Call of the Night
Engage Kiss
MADE IN ABYSS: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun
The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting
Bibliophile Princess

Best Characters/couples:

Vanitas x Noe x Jeanne
Tachibana x Jinguuji
The Forger Family
Shikimori x Izumi
Carla
Kou x Nazuna
Kisara x Shuu
Faputa and Vueko

Best Openings:

Demon Slayer; Entertainment District Arc
Platinum End (I hate to admit it but YEAH)
Life With an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated Into a Total Fantasy Knockout
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
MADE IN ABYSS: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun

Best Endings:

Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie (I BET NOBODY SKIPPED THIS ENDING LOL)
Call of the Night ^see above
Engage Kiss

I choose Vanitas for Best Male character and either Kisara or Nazuna for best Female Character

Other shows I liked/want to finish:

Love of Kill
Sasaki and Miyano
Requiem of the Rose King
Delicious Party♡Precure
I'm Quitting Heroing
The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody
Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
A Couple of Cuckoos
The Executioner and Her Way of Life
Deaimon
Dance Dance Danseur
Lycoris Recoil
My Stepmom's Daughter Is My Ex
SHADOWS HOUSE 2nd Season
Hoshi no Samidare
Fuuto Tantei
Smile of the Arsnotoria the Animation
Prima Doll
Phantom of the Idol
Teppen!!! (it made me laugh a lot!)
Chainsaw Man
The Eminence in Shadow
More than a Married Couple, but Not Lovers.
Bocchi The Rock
One Piece: Wano Arc

(....wth how am I gonna finish ALL DEEZE lol)

Biggest Disappointment: Tokyo Mew Mew New. UGH.
Shield Hero S2 (everyone knows this)

Worst of 2022:

To Completion?
.....hard to beat Platinum End, really xD I still want to enjoy listening to the OP and I can BARELY DO THAT ANYMORE LOL.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:26 am Reply with quote
Was "Don't Hurt Me, My Healer" really all that bad? I thought it was amusing. If you look at the reviews it got on it's home page, there were far more green (good) ones than red (bad) ones. I think this show has gotten a short shrift for some reason.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
Was "Don't Hurt Me, My Healer" really all that bad?

I hate the English title (because it's wrong) but no, it's peak comedy. It's weird that nobody talks about it though. It is nothing but laughs every minute.
db999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Before I forget I've got my top 5 openings and endings for the year
Endings
5 Ranking of Kings Ending 2
4 Chainsaw Man Ending 8
3 Chainsaw Man Ending 2
2 Attack on Titan Ending 7
1 Boruto Ending 19

Openings
5 Build Divide Code White Opening
4 Call of the Night Opening
3 Ranking of Kings Opening 2
2 Tokyo 24th Ward Opening
1 Gundam The Witch From Mercury Opening

Best song was the Rap from Kaguya-sama
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:41 pm Reply with quote
For me, my most disappointed anime would have to be Shield Hero S2. I LOVED the 1st season, still do and I plan to see S3 but uh... yeah... boring arc for the 1st half, 2nd half was interesting but the season did away with EVERYTHING that made S1 good... its clear we ain't getting that going forward, but i am hoping the show finds its feet again with wherever it plans to go from here...

Worst/ Can't recall anymore, trust me I dropped it and rather just not recall whatever crap I watched...

Best? Too many to list and I don't have a single best. If its big name, good chance I loved it, but really plenty of anime on people's best/worst lists that I agree and disagree with and would say the opposite of for some of them

Not best but still really like: Way too many to list but I'll list Iruma-kun S3 and MHA S6 (both of which are still airing so my opinion could change when they're done)

A manga I hope someday gets an anime of: Machimaho: I messed up and made the wrong person into a magical girl

Chiibi wrote:

Best Endings:

Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie (I BET NOBODY SKIPPED THIS ENDING LOL)
I uh... skipped it once or twice, sorry u lost the bet... but heck, it IS a great ending song! Makes me want a game of it xD (If that happens it NEEDS to have the ending song to go along with it)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
but heck, it IS a great ending song! Makes me want a game of it xD (If that happens it NEEDS to have the ending song to go along with it)

YES YES. I FELT THE SAME WAY!!! WOULD BE GREAT FOR PHONES.

Please make a game of "Protect The Boyfriend from Stuff", Shikimori staff. Laughing

@Stretch2424

That show is peak comedy and I have no idea why people don't talk about it. The only thing bad about it is the English title.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:21 am Reply with quote
Best/Favorite Anime: Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 2

It was a real tossup between this, Demon Slayer, Stone Ocean, Made in Abyss, Chainsaw Man, Mob, Summer Time Rendering, Spy x Family, and... well, we got a lot of great anime this year. That being said, the way Attack on Titan continues to recontextualize what the audience thought they knew about this setting into something darker, making characters who should be sympathetic into villains and characters who were thought to be villainous into tragic heroes. Floch is best boy for how realistically he portrays the dangers of fascism.

Best Moments:

There are tons of them, so I'll just list a few in no particular order.

Eren initiating the Rumbling and sending his message of terror to every Eldian on the planet (Attack on Titan)

Luffy's Red Roc against Kaido (One Piece)

The final few minutes of the battle against Upper Six (Demon Slayer)

The end of Stone Ocean and the original JoJo Continuity (Stone Ocean)

Reigen telling Mob the truth (Mob Psycho 100)

Best Songs:

Uh... I guess I'll split the difference and say every ED from Chainsaw Man, plus the OP and ED from Attack on Titan this year. Heaven's Falling Down from JoJo was also incredible.

Best Movie:

It came out last year, but we only got a release of it in January. Sing A Bit Of Harmony is a masterpiece that everyone I know is sleeping on.

Worst Anime: Uh... I don't usually watch the bad ones long enough to figure that out, but Platinum End is kinda Elfen Lied-y at some parts. I dunno. It's just okay in the end.

Oh! There's a thing! Shield Hero season 2 was a letdown! I mean, it wasn't bad, but it made me kinda bored about the prospect of a third season.
ParsonsRyan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:49 am Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
Now that I’ve finished binging my final 2 shows time to rank these, going to start with a bunch of shows I didn’t complete and ranked by how likely it is I’ll come back to finish watching the show

14 Shield Hero, the first few episodes underwhelmed me and everyone says the rest is bad so I likely won’t return to it

13 The Devil is a Part-Timer. I stopped watching after an episode because it wasn’t nearly as good as I remember the first season being, but since it’s a comedy it’ll be easier to return to and I think I will eventually watch it

12 Dance Dance Danseur I like the characters, and the plot for the most part. It feels to me like a mostly standard sports/martial arts sow but with ballet. It’s a good watch, but I ended up dropping it after 2-3 episodes, but I am curious enough to eventually come back to it

11 Yashahime technically I dropped this show in Fall of 2021, but I’ve seen clips from this part of the season airing in 2022, and parts of it look interesting to me, so I’ll definitely be returning to it. Also unlike a ton of people I mostly enjoyed season 1, though in retrospect it wasn’t very good, and given that I thought season 2 was a big improvement in pacing wise I’m likely gonna come back to this, though maybe not until next year.

Now for my actual top list with shows I completed. And for once I actually watched enough shows to have a top 10 in the first place
10. Bleach Thousand Year Blood War Arc. I posted most of my thoughts on the series on the best of fall thread but would like to add that this season, in my opinion, had most of the best material from this arc, Besides this it irritates me a bit that I have to submit to the school dictatorship, more specifically I talk about the fact that many books didn't make it to school because they had a bit of content that is not allowed to school children and this now can't be studied at school, but besides this I continue anyway go to to study these banned books because they actually are much more interesting than the crowd I have at the school library, I'm glad I have the possibility and access to the internet because otherwise I would be a zombified man. 6-9 were legitimately fantastic episodes of television.

9 Winter My Dress Up Darling A very charming romance, series the outfits were cool and it was fun learning about cosplay and making costumes and Hina Dolls but the main duo’s romantic chemistry and pleasant personalities are what make the show shine. I wish I could put this higher, but too many other shows were just too good this year that 1 show had to fall off the tracks

8 Fall Gundam The Witch From Mercury Don’t have much to add from the thoughts I gave in the best of Fall list other than I’ll probably update my list once the season finale airs on January 8th. Just a great Gundam show, and it’s doing its job of getting people into Gundam who haven’t watched one before

7 Spring Birdie Wing Girls Golf Story I might be the only one watching this show that legitimately likes golf and is a fan of watching it, never played the game, so seeing an over-the-top version of it with fun and likable main characters and fantastic animation is like a dream. The fact that it’s out of my top 5 is more of an indication of how stacked this year was with good shows than anything else

6 My Hero Academia Finally after 2.5 seasons My Hero Academia is finally back to the quality of the Sports Festival, Stain, and Rescue Bakugou arcs. However, I do think this is a better binge-watch than a week-to-week watch because I suspect had I been watching this weekly I might be putting this show lower on the list. The animation quality seems to have jumped up and the pacing is pretty good for this arc as well.

5 Fall Romantic Killer A really fun reverse Harem parody, the comedy is on point and Anzu is a very good protagonist. The absurd situations and her reactions to them make the show, and it also has a legitimate turn to a dramatic story in the final episodes that works well, and is properly set up it’s a shame that this is so underrated, more people need to watch this show please do it.

4 Winter Attack on Titan, the first half of this season was a bit slower than I would have liked but from the moment we get to the paths to the end of the show is really well paced and the final episodes have amazing production values. However what puts it lower on my top list is that slow early pacing, and its production just is very uneven so I had to put it a bit lower on my list. Can’t wait for The Final Season Part 3, This Really Is The End We Mean It, Why Are You Looking At Us Like That It Really Is Over After This One. Mostly because I want to see how anime-only fans react to the ending, I’m in the camp that the ending is GOOD ACTUALLY, but I’ll come to the bridge of defending the ending once the series actually does end

3 Spring Summer Time Rendering it’s a shame that this show is not going to be on many lists due to its Disney situation because it is genuinely a fantastic show. It starts out as a horror mystery series and eventually morphs itself into more of an action show, and it threads those two tones together so well, that it feels like a natural evolution of the series. If this had gotten picked up by Crunchyroll, Funimation(technically it is Cruncyroll now), HiDive, or even Netflix, it would probably be in most people's top five lists but alas

2 Fall Chainsaw Man This is one of the series I binged in the last week of the year for my top list, and I finished it in 1 day and then read a bunch of the manga also in a day it’s that good. The only reason why it isn’t number 1 is that emotionally it didn’t quite grab means much as I wanted it to but the rest of the show is too good to rank lower

1 Spring Kaguya-Sama Love is War Ultra Romantic You know it’s great I know it’s great everyone knows it’s fantastic and this season is no different. From the excellent rapping episodes to the school festival arc and finally the romantic climax this is the best season yet

Thanks for this perfect list, I'm off to watch!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12