• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
well i was hoping to read bakuman volume 14 today but waterstones decided that i was in dire need of reading a few kids books instead and sent them along.

really not impressed with these jokers.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
well i was hoping to read bakuman volume 14 today but waterstones decided that i was in dire need of reading a few kids books instead and sent them along.

really not impressed with these jokers.

I gave up on Waterstones along time ago - I find they have 12 copies of the same book over 4 series and call that a manga section...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
So! I'm up to date with Tegami Bachi (up to vol 15 as of this writing). I had read v 1-6ish back when Borders was going out, and had been collecting, but not reading since. So yeah, decided to go ahead and read it, and it's awesome! I'm very curious to see where it goes now! It was just getting through a nice plot reveal there. Curious how long the series is going to last now, actually. I'm thinking the current mission will take 4-5 volumes maybe? Then there's some other stuff it's hinted at, so less than 30 vols total I predict.

I rented World War Blue v1 from the library, because how could I not be curious about a personification of the console wars? Well I'm definitely behind this idea of personification more than Hetalia style, but I'm still kind of "meh". Part of it is that it is a sub average shonen fantasy so far. And the other part is... frankly some of the video game references might be too obscure even for me. Yeah, it kind of hints at what they are in the interview, but I can't say I'm really familiar with Phantasy Star II, Fantasy Zone, and other Sega series. Part of that has got to be that I like Nintendo way more and am totally rooting for them already, so my reader bias has totally been inserted into this. Another factor to this is clearly that Gear is supposed to be Sonic. And I frickin' hate Sonic. I blame Sonic Team's glut of terrible games for it, personally, but I don't even care for the Genesis games either to be honest. And I dislike him in Brawl too. I really just dislike Sonic big time.
That said, a Sega fanboy might enjoy this more than me, but as a Nintendo fanboy, I'm already rooting for the bad guys, which is kind of a problem for me.

Oh and I'm re-reading From Far Away! Because I want to! I'm enjoying it a bit more, now that I know the politics better from the start, so some things are clearer this time around.

Also, the more I read of Lone Wolf & Cub, the more I like it, even if I still don't understand the politics much. I tell ya, fantasy politics are fine, but Japanese olden times politics lose me instantly, I'm just not familiar with it, I need to get a history book or something to help. Would probably improve my understanding of Kaze Hikaru too.

Last edited by zawa113 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
Alice in The Country Of Hearts. Oh god why are these guys so damn hot Anime dazed. I so wish I was Alice. I'm not a fan of how...pushy some of the guys are but I guess that's to be expected with Otoge adaptions.

Right about to read ...In The Country of Clover ~Cheshire Cat Waltz~ because Boris is so goddamn hot it's ridiculous. Like, goddamn. Was the original game an ero-otoge? Because if it is, I need to see if anyone fan-translated it, I want my H-scenes with Boris.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
Very slowly working my way through Aku no Hana. Volume 9 has been sitting on my nightstand for the last week waiting to be read. Seeing how much improvement has been made in the artwork over the course of the series has been really enjoyable.
After that, it's on to Watamote, and maybe Pupa after that.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been reading much manga lately but I did recently read all of Pluto courtesy of my local library which had all 8 volumes (actually had 2 of each). I never read any of the Astro Boy manga but I really enjoyed reading this. The artwork and writing were first-rate. Although I felt the ending to be a bit predictable (keeping in mind again that I did not read the original source material) that was only a minor flaw. I rated this manga as "excellent" and definitely recommend it. At 8 volumes it doesn't take long to read.

For some reason I have been unable to locate my copy of volume 2 of Princess Knight. I know I got it from TRSI but can't seem to find where I put it. I was sort of looking for something to read the other day and tried again to find it with no success. I did locate all 4 volumes of Dojin Work and, as I was looking for something light started reading it. I'm partway through volume 2 and am enjoying it so far.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Wow, so I unexpectedly ended up reading all of After School Nightmare a lot faster than I thought I was, I was just hooked! I just had to know what was going on! And it did not disappoint me! In fact, it just keeps turning in my head. For years now, I've had a tendency to confuse it with After School Charisma (in name at least, I do collect ASC though) as that other manga with "After School" in its name. But now I doubt I will, lol.
So, apparently, this manga has quite a bit of symbolism or something. But I didn't notice most of it and still very much enjoyed it, which is exactly how symbolism needs to be done, an easter egg rather than the entire point. Part of the reason I missed most of it is that it was mostly Japanese in origin, things that would've been an obvious hint to a Japanese idiom that doesn't exist in English. The translator notes in that sense were very helpful at explaining it. It didn't say why it was symbolism, just what it meant in Japanese, it wisely waited until the last volume was over to explain some things. The names were all clues, but obviously that was lost on me, the notes told me what they meant. So Go! Comi did a great release, so glad they finished it!
I like weird shojo, and weird shojo this was, I actually had no idea I was reading shojo honestly. Glad I got this at a good price, definitely something I plan to go back to in the future!
Spoon-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
So I picked up a huge haul of Tezuka manga (26 volumes to be exact) awhile back and this made me read it like a mad man these last two weeks. Really wanted to get into Tezuka for a long time and just decided to take the plunge.

So far I've read (in chronological order that I've read them) Black Jack vol. 1-2, The Book of Human Insects, Apollo's Song, Ode to Kirihito, Ayako, and Buddha vol. 1-2.

Out of all of them, my favorites would be Buddha, Black Jack and Apollo's Song, respectively but I've kinda enjoyed all of them, except for Ayako, that was depressing and dark. Really enjoying now, especially with Black Jack and Buddha. Do you guys have any recommendations on what Tezuka work I should pick up next?
osakaedo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
DigBickBrick wrote:
So far I've read (in chronological order that I've read them) Black Jack vol. 1-2, The Book of Human Insects, Apollo's Song, Ode to Kirihito, Ayako, and Buddha vol. 1-2.

... Do you guys have any recommendations on what Tezuka work I should pick up next?

Just a heads up, since I work for Vertical...

Get Black Jack immediately as many of those 17 volumes are going or are currently out of print.

Also because of the new contract Tezuka has with DMP it isn't likely Vertical will be reprinting titles, so finish up Buddha (if you liked it), MW is about to go out of print, and Message to Adolf vol 1 has maybe a couple months before it is all gone also.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
@DigBickBrick
Hmmm... all the Tezuka?

Ok, so to narrow that statement down, absolutely start with the Vertical things, they are going out of print. If you thought Ayako was depressing (it was), Message to Adolf is even more depressing! Reading it made me want to punch puppies, but it was also damn good.
It would be a shame to see Buddha go out, definitely grab it all now! Get any vols of Black Jack, you don't need to read them in order!
I enjoyed Dororo quite a bit, if you have a PS2, also consider picking up Blood Will Tell, you should be able to get it second hand quite cheaply.
Princess Knight & Twin Knight are decent too, but I wouldn't quite go out of my way for them.

So for the non-Vertical series now:
Phoenix, good luck on getting to read this, honestly. But since Viz won't print more, I say go right to the internet, but don't say I said that! There are some of the animated versions you can see though, the 2004 series Media Blasters put out is most excellent.
Atomcat is the most ridiculously cute Tezuka thing out there, it's like reading pure diabeetus! And it's weird because it starts off with aliens disguised as Princess Diana and Prince Charles. Unico is diabeetus and depression. Also check out the Unico movies from Discotek.
Speaking of, I quite like original Astro Boy a lot. Maybe I'm weird like that. A lot of vols as standalone, but not all. I think 7-9 are like their own continuous thing for the most part. I'd also check out the 1980 and 2003 series (sorry, 1960s series, I think you're kind of terrible)
Triton of the Sea came out recently, and I'm genuinely enjoying it the most out of his kids books probably.
Spoon-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
@osakaedo
Thanks for the heads up! I actually already picked up most of Black Jack except for vol. 8,9,10 and 15 and I also have all of Buddha. So I'm good for now. Smile

@classicalzawa
Yeah it sucks for Pheonix. I was doing some research on what Tezuka work to pick up and I saw that Pheonix was supposedly the best but the prices on Amazon Shocked
So next on my list, would probably be Adolf and MW(Still looking for the HC version though). I'll probably get through with his adult works before I dive into his kiddie works. Thanks for the recs.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I have managed to work my way through a few more volumes of Berserk, specifically volumes 13 - 17. Volume 13 finishes of the Golden Age arc with some shocks and a huge bloody mess. I wasn't expecting Casca spoiler[to make it out alive] from the cover of the book and Griffith disgusts me but that's the point. Volumes 14 starts the Conviction arc which so far has really shown the strength of Guts's character and Miura has done a good job by making me sympathise and agree with his choices no matter how controversial they maybe.

Berserk is close to taking Claymore's spot as my number one series (excluding one shots).

I also managed to squeeze in Soul Eater 17 which has seen the gang enter spoiler[the book of Eibon to save Kid] and has set up for what looks to be an epic battle between spoiler[Black Star and Kid]. Again each volume cements Soul Eater in my top 10. Its just a shame there are only 8 more releases to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
You just hit the berserk sweet spot, i still really like it but i think the current pace of releases has made a lot of fans very bitter and hard on the current content and while I agree its not as good as stuff that has been its still a great manga. I think Game of thrones suffered the same problem with a feast for crows, fans got angry over a half decade without tyrion, jon snow and daenerys.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to appreciate where I am because I know soon enough I'll catch up and be in the same boat as everyone else. I would be annoyed with the wait between each volume as this is (to my knowledge) his only on going series but the fact that Berserk started 23 years ago reduces my feelings of annoyance - this will probably change after I've waited 18 months for volume 38.
He's probably a little burnt out after nearly a quarter of a century working on this series; hopefully he will kick back into action to finish the series off as I do worry it will be abandoned if the gaps between each volumes release keeps growing.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Well he's currently on break from berserk to do a 6 chapter story, i think he is a little burnt out on berserk and wanted to do something a little different for a while hence the long break to publish something new.

Berserk resumes after this one is done however, i can wait im very happy to be up to date with berserk and it gives me time to patch other holes in my collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 108 of 154