• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:34 am Reply with quote
In the 7 weeks since my last post I've watched quite a few shows.

Outlaw Star. This tale of a motley crew of a space ship hasn't aged well. I've seen people compare it (unfavourably) with Cowboy Bebop, but I think it's closer to The Slayers in tone, if not setting. That tone is a very 1990s mixture humour and character design. I rated it decent, so not a dead loss.

I followed this up with two excellent anime: Liz and the Bluebird and Noein - to Your Other Self. The former is a spin-off from the Sound! Euphonium series and, while I admit I've only seen the 1st season of the TV show, I much preferred film's emphasis on its leads rather than the orchestra.

Noein has terrific main character and is unusual for SF for using the trappings of quantum mechanics as its gimmick. I was introduced to the series 12 years ago via Key's Best First Episode tournament. It has taken that long to finally watch it. My loss, I guess.

Angel Links. Another spin-off; this time Outlaw Star, although the two have very little crossover. The only improvement is it's half the length. Rating: so-so.

This was followed my Mezzo - the TV series, not the OAV. With the sex and violence toned down somewhat, there was more scope to enjoy Yasuomi Umetsu's goofy humour and ridiculous plot lines. Rating: good.

Sakura Wars - again the TV series, not the OAV. I came to this with high expectations: the late Ryutaro Nakamura has also bequeathed us Serial Experiments Lain, Kino's Journey and Ghost Hound. Sakura Wars occasionally provides the amazing visuals and soundscapes I've come to associate with him, but they don't happen often enough to raise this out of supernatural monster / villain mediocrity. Rating: so-so.

There's a few more to mention, but I'll leave that for another time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
In the 7 weeks since my last post I've watched quite a few shows.

I followed this up with Liz and the Bluebird a spin-off from the Sound! Euphonium series and, while I admit I've only seen the 1st season of the TV show, I much preferred film's emphasis on its leads rather than the orchestra.

While it works on its own, it's also worth pairing that with the second season, whose initial episodes deal with these two characters in the first arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks. It sounds worth checking out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 1063 of 1063