• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2022

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:42 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Gotta be high on formaldehyde to consider Fruits Basket: Prelude anything less than a masterpiece. One of the best anime films I've ever seen.

The general consensus agrees with you given how successful and well received it was, but if people get hung up on the romance thing then I can see why they'd hate it. Although I'm not sure how it caught some fans by surprise since it was established in the series itself since like 2004 when we got the original flashback and backstory the movie is based on.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Spack wrote:
JustMonika wrote:
Gotta be high on formaldehyde to consider Fruits Basket: Prelude anything less than a masterpiece. One of the best anime films I've ever seen.

The general consensus agrees with you given how successful and well received it was, but if people get hung up on the romance thing then I can see why they'd hate it. Although I'm not sure how it caught some fans by surprise since it was established in the series itself since like 2004 when we got the original flashback and backstory the movie is based on.

No one was “caught by surprise” by the content of the film other than the padded runtime with recap. Pretending that everyone is, and has been, totally cool with the grooming subplot hasn’t been true since 2004. It ain’t new to hear that Fruits Basket is good but that the aside about her parents kinda sucked and was best avoided. I guess that comes as a “surprise” to you if you’ve never really followed Fruits Basket and are just now posting snarky comments to project your ignorance elsewhere.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Spack wrote:
JustMonika wrote:

Yeah, I read the manga's original English run and have the entire series of new editions on my shelf. Hated the plotline then, hate it now.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:51 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Yeah, I read the manga's original English run and have the entire series of new editions on my shelf. Hated the plotline then, hate it now.

I surmise you must have hated the teacher-student sub-plot in Card Captor Sakura back in the day?(assuming you read it, though the plot is in the anime as well although more subdued?). And that's CLAMP, of all things. Actually, it probably ups the ante, considering the ages of them both, compared to this...
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I surmise you must have hated the teacher-student sub-plot in Card Captor Sakura back in the day?(assuming you read it, though the plot is in the anime as well although more subdued?). And that's CLAMP, of all things. Actually, it probably ups the ante, considering the ages of them both, compared to this...

Why are we doing a whataboutism about underage student / teacher relationships, of all things?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Yes I do, all three of them! They have teacher/student relationships in high school, middle school, and *shudder* elementary school and all three of them creep me out intensely. And tbh it's funny you say, "that's Clamp, of all things," because Clamp takes the ideal of "Love is love" to the extreme, and it's not uncommon for them to depict transgressive romantic relationships across their body of work. If I'd expect it from anyone, I'd expect it from them.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Why are you acting like it's impossible to live life and watch anime/read manga while also finding teacher/underage student romances creepy and a turn-off? Or even that it's impossible to enjoy something overall while also not enjoying some parts of it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:03 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Why are you acting like it's impossible to live life and watch anime/read manga while also finding teacher/underage student romances creepy and a turn-off? Or even that it's impossible to enjoy something overall while also not enjoying some parts of it.

I make a simple observation of two classic contemporary series(FB 1998-2006, CCS 1996-2000) sharing the same questionable elements, and you proceed making a mountain out of a molehill and adding things that weren't even there in the post(in what part of the post did I imply any habits or tastes precluding some other habit or taste?)? Chill a little, dude. Razz

@flamemasterelan @all-tsun-and-no-dere

It was just an observation, nothing else was implied.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
SHD wrote:

I make a simple observation of two classic contemporary series(FB 1998-2006, CCS 1996-2000) sharing the same questionable elements, and you proceed making a mountain out of a molehill and adding things that weren't even there in the post(in what part of the post did I imply any habits or tastes precluding some other habit or taste?)? Chill a little, dude. Razz

I'm chill, you're the one who seem to be going for a "gotcha!" moment with some people who seem not to like teacher/underage student romances, for some weird reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Whatever, though.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
It was just an observation, nothing else was implied.

No, there is definitely an implication, otherwise you wouldn't have brought it up in an unrelated discussion. Why be so dishonest about your intentions?

"I don't like this plot element."
"Well, it also appears in this story. What about that?"
"I don't like it there, either."
"Chill out, I'm just saying it exists."
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:35 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
No, there is definitely an implication, otherwise you wouldn't have brought it up in an unrelated discussion.

Because it was the first thing that came to mind after reading about that particular subplot here. And both being classics, I thought it was worth at least a mention. Perhaps I shouldn't have bothered...
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I didn't vote in the survey, but one anime movie which didn't get much attention was Sing a Bit of Harmony.

It had a brief run at the cinema and was quite competent and enjoyable.

Might try to get the blu-ray/DVD.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:32 pm Reply with quote
There's an anime event happening in Lagos, Nigeria on Saturday. (No, this is not promotion) I hope to go there to talk to others about the anime I watched during the last year and some of the few I've watched this year. I hope to see some interesting cosplays and merchandise along the way.
db999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Now that I’ve finished binging my final 2 shows time to rank these, going to start with a bunch of shows I didn’t complete and ranked by how likely it is I’ll come back to finish watching the show

14 Shield Hero, the first few episodes underwhelmed me and everyone says the rest is bad so I likely won’t return to it

13 The Devil is a Part-Timer. I stopped watching after an episode because it wasn’t nearly as good as I remember the first season being, but since it’s a comedy it’ll be easier to return to and I think I will eventually watch it

12 Dance Dance Danseur I like the characters, and the plot for the most part. It feels to me like a mostly standard sports/martial arts sow but with ballet. It’s a good watch, but I ended up dropping it after 2-3 episodes, but I am curious enough to eventually come back to it

11 Yashahime technically I dropped this show in Fall of 2021, but I’ve seen clips from this part of the season airing in 2022, and parts of it look interesting to me, so I’ll definitely be returning to it. Also unlike a ton of people I mostly enjoyed season 1, though in retrospect it wasn’t very good, and given that I thought season 2 was a big improvement in pacing wise I’m likely gonna come back to this, though maybe not until next year.

Now for my actual top list with shows I completed. And for once I actually watched enough shows to have a top 10 in the first place
10. Bleach Thousand Year Blood War Arc. I posted most of my thoughts on the series on the best of fall thread but would like to add that this season, in my opinion, had most of the best material from this arc, so I’m hoping the fast pacing will really help the later portions of this arc when it comes back in July for it’s second cour, which suffers from fight bloat, where there are too many fights, that last too long, and featuring characters I don’t really care about. However, this season was pretty great. The animation was fire and episodes 6-9 were legitimately fantastic episodes of television.

9 Winter My Dress Up Darling A very charming romance, series the outfits were cool and it was fun learning about cosplay and making costumes and Hina Dolls but the main duo’s romantic chemistry and pleasant personalities are what make the show shine. I wish I could put this higher, but too many other shows were just too good this year that 1 show had to fall off the tracks

8 Fall Gundam The Witch From Mercury Don’t have much to add from the thoughts I gave in the best of Fall list other than I’ll probably update my list once the season finale airs on January 8th. Just a great Gundam show, and it’s doing its job of getting people into Gundam who haven’t watched one before

7 Spring Birdie Wing Girls Golf Story I might be the only one watching this show that legitimately likes golf and is a fan of watching it, never played the game, so seeing an over-the-top version of it with fun and likable main characters and fantastic animation is like a dream. The fact that it’s out of my top 5 is more of an indication of how stacked this year was with good shows than anything else

6 My Hero Academia Finally after 2.5 seasons My Hero Academia is finally back to the quality of the Sports Festival, Stain, and Rescue Bakugou arcs. However, I do think this is a better binge-watch than a week-to-week watch because I suspect had I been watching this weekly I might be putting this show lower on the list. The animation quality seems to have jumped up and the pacing is pretty good for this arc as well.

5 Fall Romantic Killer A really fun reverse Harem parody, the comedy is on point and Anzu is a very good protagonist. The absurd situations and her reactions to them make the show, and it also has a legitimate turn to a dramatic story in the final episodes that works well, and is properly set up it’s a shame that this is so underrated, more people need to watch this show please do it.

4 Winter Attack on Titan, the first half of this season was a bit slower than I would have liked but from the moment we get to the paths to the end of the show is really well paced and the final episodes have amazing production values. However what puts it lower on my top list is that slow early pacing, and its production just is very uneven so I had to put it a bit lower on my list. Can’t wait for The Final Season Part 3, This Really Is The End We Mean It, Why Are You Looking At Us Like That It Really Is Over After This One. Mostly because I want to see how anime-only fans react to the ending, I’m in the camp that the ending is GOOD ACTUALLY, but I’ll come to the bridge of defending the ending once the series actually does end

3 Spring Summer Time Rendering it’s a shame that this show is not going to be on many lists due to its Disney situation because it is genuinely a fantastic show. It starts out as a horror mystery series and eventually morphs itself into more of an action show, and it threads those two tones together so well, that it feels like a natural evolution of the series. If this had gotten picked up by Crunchyroll, Funimation(technically it is Cruncyroll now), HiDive, or even Netflix, it would probably be in most people's top five lists but alas

2 Fall Chainsaw Man This is one of the series I binged in the last week of the year for my top list, and I finished it in 1 day and then read a bunch of the manga also in a day it’s that good. The only reason why it isn’t number 1 is that emotionally it didn’t quite grab means much as I wanted it to but the rest of the show is too good to rank lower

1 Spring Kaguya-Sama Love is War Ultra Romantic You know it’s great I know it’s great everyone knows it’s fantastic and this season is no different. From the excellent rapping episodes to the school festival arc and finally the romantic climax this is the best season yet
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Since I believe my words have been taken the wrong way (Some things I never even mentioned that others brought up) let me just say I am in no way defending or trying to defend these types of relationships irl, just that I don't understand the reason why so many are against it but multiple have said teens can't navigate a relationship romantically with an adult. If thats the case for every single teen out there then yeah I am also against it too. Also, NO Teacher or Student should be together irl, I fully agree with Kyoko when she said Tatsuya had no business being a Teacher (Glad he quit). I never brought up sex (Someone else did) and on that note, they should wait till they're adults to have sex. Also, on the matter of fiction, so long as its done right I don't got a problem with it. If its fiction or real life though then I do have a problem with it if the Teen is being taken advantage of or any negative aspect to it.

I never called Caitlin or anyone a prude and don't appreciate my words being twisted there by ATastySub. Lastly, I never said I personally was ok with a Teen (Especially a 13-15 year old) marrying an adult irl and to be clear I am not ok with it. With my previous post I was talking about the in a relationship aspect (Dating, being together). I only stated what Japan's law is which a search on the net shows if the parents give consent then they can be married if below 18. If the law was changed recently then I didn't see that online when I searched.

I apologize if I hurt anyone with what I said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12