• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece's Oda Gives His Thoughts on Critical Turning Point

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Which is a shame because I loved tan Robin a lot more.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Sure Oda, that's what every writer tells themselves in order to sleep at night

If you actually read it instead of making sarcastic remarks, you'd see that the amount of story in OP that was preplanned is ridiculous.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:

spoiler[I don't like the fact that Robin has been become white whereas before she had a tanish color and that slicked back hair style is just terrible. At least Nami looks similar to her younger version while Robin seems to have had plastic surgery.
]

I just want to point out that if you read the manga, you would know that Robin's skin color has always been light, instead of a dark tan. And I also want to point out that Robin's eye color is brown in the manga but blue in the anime. But that was a consistency error on Oda's part.
The anime has a tendency to alter color schemes sometimes.

I understand that. Anime does tend to take some liberties with color schemes. However, after 400+ episodes of having a tanish Robin, it feels a little late to be changing her skin tone. For consistency sake, they should have kept her at least close to her previous color scheme (referring to anime only), and to some extent, it was one of the qualities that set her apart from the crew, giving her a more exotic feel. I'm sure I'm probably focusing on it too much, but after watching a character being drawn a certain way for so long, it really does feel strange.

TitanXL wrote:
Which is a shame because I loved tan Robin a lot more.

Thank you...it's good to know I'm not the only one. Some of my friends feel the same way about this....I think...or maybe they just agreed to get me to shut up about it. Laughing
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Ichigo77 wrote:
Hmm spoiler[What cloak are you referring to? What Blackbeard did? I just paged through vol 59 but didn't see anything and have to get to bed so I didn't have time to page through the other volumes.]

I meant the one you can see in the chapter when spoiler[Whitebeard dies. While he fighting against Blackbeard there is a small panel with the scene I was referring to, in the sixth page from the beginning of the chapter, title/cover page excluded: someone, almost out of panel, is putting a cloak or blanket over Ace's back, in the middle of the confusion of the moment.]

I have no idea if it's in the weekly version of the chapter though, since I only read the Italian volumes and not scanlations. I'm pretty sure they included the scene in the anime, though.

Good eye. I went back and looked at vol 59 and there it was. spoiler[I saw the cloak and there was no one to put it there it on Ace since he was just surrounded by marines.]
Hospodar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
I love One Piece and I can't praise Oda enough for managing to keep the story interesting and fun after so long. I'll admit that I follow the anime rather than the manga, so my comments are based more on that and I'm not sure how much input Oda has on it's quality. However, I'm sure character designs transfer over from manga to anime almost unaltered aside from color.

Oda did put a lot of thought in the new designs of them. Because you are an Anime only person I thought you might be interested in them. Some guy uploaded it and I saved the links:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/choyonepiecesx61073.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/830/choyonepiecesx61074.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/choyonepiecesx61167.png/
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
I love One Piece and I can't praise Oda enough for managing to keep the story interesting and fun after so long. I'll admit that I follow the anime rather than the manga, so my comments are based more on that and I'm not sure how much input Oda has on it's quality. However, I'm sure character designs transfer over from manga to anime almost unaltered aside from color.

Oda did put a lot of thought in the new designs of them. Because you are an Anime only person I thought you might be interested in them. Some guy uploaded it and I saved the links:

Good links. I wish he would have gone with the glasses version or the one on the far left with the two stands of hair coming down the front like in the movie Strong World. I wonder what made him choose the slicked back fair style for Robin.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
Hospodar wrote:
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:

Good links. I wish he would have gone with the glasses version or the one on the far left with the two stands of hair coming down the front like in the movie Strong World. I wonder what made him choose the slicked back fair style for Robin.

Ya same here with the glasses one, that looked the best.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Good eye. I went back and looked at vol 59 and there it was. spoiler[I saw the cloak and there was no one to put it there it on Ace since he was just surrounded by marines.]

Thanks, but you should look better since you can also (barely) see spoiler[two arms (belonging to a kneeling person or someone bent to the ground, even if this person is almost completely off-panel as I said before)]. Wink
The left one you can see clearly, the other a bit less and only if you are able to correctly read Oda's sketchy drawing style.

At any case, what do you think of it? It is there and it wasn't explained, up to the volume I read, at least.
It isn't something that can be there without a meaning, considering the moment and the whole situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lunatic17

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Planning out your story ahead of time is a good thing.

Take note Kubo.

you don't think kubo already thought ahead? If you look at the first chapter cover of bleach, you can see shinji in one of the pics. Also, there are so many stinkin concepts in bleach, i doubt Tite just did stuff as he went along....like Ichigo's dad being a Shinigami Captain.
Lunatic17

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:

Anyway, after reaching the new world and seeing the Straw Hat crews new character design for several episodes now, spoiler[I'm not liking some of the character designs Oda has chosen for some of the Straw Hate crew members, mainly Franky, Brook, and Robin.

Franky doesn't look like a cyborg anymore but more like a typical robot. His signature pose doesn't have the same effect any longer...it's more awkward whereas before it was funny. I also hope his robust frame won't affect his interaction with other members of the crew.

I really loved the darkness of Brook before, but now, he's just goofy (not that it's bad). I guess I feel he had more substance before...more layers to his character than just comedy. He had a mysterious edge to him to a certain extent.

I don't like the fact that Robin has been become white whereas before she had a tanish color and that slicked back hair style is just terrible. At least Nami looks similar to her younger version while Robin seems to have had plastic surgery.

I also have a slight issue with Zoro and Chopper. With respect to Zoro, the loss of his eye seems like a drastic choice...a simple scar across the eye would have been fine like Dark Night Rayleigh's. I mean...eyes are important for a swordsman. I can get use to it over time though. Lastly, I'm fine with Chopper in general, but in episode 533 when he went into his new kung-fu point, he looked stupid. As soon as I saw him, I thought “this is ripping off of Kung-fu Panda”.....they made him into a fat Chopper. I'm fine with him having the ability, but the character design is stupid and a bit lazy since I'm sure Oda could have come up with something better considering his ability.]

LOL, i can't believe how everything you noticed i had a problem with too. Now i know i'm not being judgmental
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2