• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bod Squad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I liked First Squad tons when I saw it --- but then I suppose I've seen what might be considered the source material, Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky.

It's disappointing to hear that they dropped the talking heads from the DVD, that was a great feature of the film, and I thought it really enhanced the story.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:

Bodacious looks as if it could have a serious premise except it never reached that point, choosing to be fun which is disappointing.

You speak as if the series were near its end, rather than still 3 episodes shy of the half way point.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Rosario + Vampire season 2 is even rental worthy; as it doesn't even really follow/create a story at all when compared to the first season. I've been reading the manga (which is a lot better) and unfortunately I hate how they turned the anime seasons into basic booby and panty shots Sad

I was really hoping they'd do something either new or just follow the already existing story, but alas! my hopes were dashed when I watched it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The waitress job is clearly an excuse to keep showing Marika in a maid outfit. I found that distracting in a show that otherwise passes the Bechdel Test with flying colors.

Uh....the Bechdel Test has nothing to do with this. It's about if two female characters talk about something other than a man in a work of fiction or not. Take issue with the pandering fanservice, sure, but you can't really critisize it with the Bechdel Test--that's not its purpose.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Quote:
Nothing grosses me out more than low budget, off-model boobs

It never occurred to me that there would be model sheets for boobs.

Apparently Justin was given one among the promo materials for one of the site's Spotlight guides...

yeah...didn't get put to use...

apparently you haven't seen high school dxd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Woot! My shelves are totally in the spotlight! I didn't realize I'd written a whole paragraph about them though. Jeez...I know I can get wordy when I type, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Hmm nice collection Barbara i see your into older series which is fine. Hell I want half of those series but money restraints etc lol.

Thank you. Yes, I guess I am into "older" series, but I've never really thought of it that way. To me, its like this: I purchase titles where the story interests me enough to re-watch it, or re-visit it. And I know what you mean about money restraints. I have to set myself an allowance every month. Sad

Stark700 wrote:
Nice collection though, love the FMA merchandise, Tiger & Bunny figures, and Hot Gimmick manga.

Thanks! Glad to know someone else who likes Hot Gimmick. I know that character relationships aren't what one would deem as "healthy". But, its my favorite guilty pleasure series.

Moving on...I was curious about First Squad. Now I may just have to check it out.

Its funny that this shelf life has Rosario and Vampire Capu2 review. I just finished watching the entire first season with my husband last night. Being as its a show for men, he throughly enjoyed it. I have to say I laughed sometimes, and the bat character was up my alley. But other than that, the story is...not for me, and that makes me not interested in season two.

Bodacious Space Pirates has a lot going for it, and I am really enjoying the story. Space has always been a good place setting, what with its vastness and stuff. But, its really Marika herself that sells this anime. She's the right amount of cute, honest, spunky, and brave. You can't keep a good woman down!
Enphilistor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
B.S.P. is developing at a delightfully slow burn. Every episode has pulled me in a little more deeply than the one before. The "space piracy as theatre" turn threw me a little bit, but I think it's becoming obvious now that it's just one surface aspect of a much deeper and more complex story developing beneath the surface. I think people who stick with this one are going to be amply rewarded by the end.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The crew of Space Pirates looks like a lot of fun, from the cover art alone, especially the towering metallic fellow in the back. :3
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Quote:

Apparently Justin was given one among the promo materials for one of the site's Spotlight guides...

Yes; as I recall, it was a model sheet for the various states of each of the female characters' nipples in High School DxD.

So... good attention to detail...

*shivers*

TheAncientOne wrote:
ShinnFlowen wrote:

Bodacious looks as if it could have a serious premise except it never reached that point, choosing to be fun which is disappointing.

You speak as if the series were near its end, rather than still 3 episodes shy of the half way point.

That's one of reasons why my minor disillusionment with the series poses no real threat to my enjoyment of it. I know that it's not in a hurry and there's still plenty of time left for it to develop a different tone or just really well refine the one it's had. It seems to add some new detail in every episode that suggests something much bigger building beneath the surface. I won't be surprised if the second half has a different character than the first, which might make the first seem better for the dramatic contrast it might provide.

Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
The waitress job is clearly an excuse to keep showing Marika in a maid outfit. I found that distracting in a show that otherwise passes the Bechdel Test with flying colors.

Uh....the Bechdel Test has nothing to do with this. It's about if two female characters talk about something other than a man in a work of fiction or not. Take issue with the pandering fanservice, sure, but you can't really critisize it with the Bechdel Test--that's not its purpose.

I don't think that she was criticizing it with the test, but rather pointing out that it is incongruous for a series to treat it female characters as independent and driven by their own wills, but then in a particular instance manipulate them to appeal to a fetish.

Botan24 wrote:
Woot! My shelves are totally in the spotlight! I didn't realize I'd written a whole paragraph about them though. Jeez...I know I can get wordy when I type, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

I didn't realize they were yours. The prominent Botan figurine should've been a dead giveaway. Ah well, I'm the kind of person who looses his hat while he's wearing it.

When did you start collecting anime? I'm curious, because some of what you have suggests that you began in roughly the same era as I did. (That being those fans whose interest was either inaugurated or, as was my case, revivified by Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim)

As for, "wordiness," well, I wrote nearly five thousand words about Bubblegum Crisis (and I've done worse, like more than three thousand about Dragonaut: The Resonance) last week, so I'm not one to judge.

I'm a little envious of your complete Scrapped Princess set. I would quite like to see that series, but collecting it now, especially if I want to avoid those weird editions with the figures, promises to be a nuisance. It should still be cheaper than it was back in the way-back-when at $25 to $30 per disc, but still a pain.

Those old Trigun singles bring memories back for me. I never owned them myself, but when I was in High School, the set that one of my friends owned was a village bicycle. (That's either one of the few non-sexual uses of that phrase, or just the freakiest)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think that she was criticizing it with the test, but rather pointing out that it is incongruous for a series to treat it female characters as independent and driven by their own wills, but then in a particular instance manipulate them to appeal to a fetish.

-facepalm-

Portraying a cute girl character in a cute outfit is not that bad, Jesus. Marika is cute. What's so wrong with seeing her in a maid outfit?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Quote:

apparently you haven't seen high school dxd

Got put to use FOR the spotlight guide I mean. Wink
Panda-s1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
About the maid cafe in Space Pirates, my friend brought up the fact it's kinda supposed to go along with the whole retro theme of the series, in fact they do point out that going to a restaurant and being served food is a bit archaic, same with actual piracy kinda being viewed as nostalgic, and quite honestly it rates pretty friggin' low on the fanservice scale, and considering the most explicit thing we've seen is a bra (in a locker room, and not even of one of the main characters), I don't think that's something this show really cares about.

But as people have mentioned, "raiding" cruise ships is just a show, and actual life threatening adventure does happen in the everyday life of a pirate (which they keep mentioning throughout the series, so I don't know why people are hung up about the cruise ship raiding facade).

Edit: I really liked the "really", really.

Last edited by Panda-s1 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Surrender Artist"]
Shenl742 wrote:

That's one of reasons why my minor disillusionment with the series poses no real threat to my enjoyment of it. I know that it's not in a hurry and there's still plenty of time left for it to develop a different tone or just really well refine the one it's had. It seems to add some new detail in every episode that suggests something much bigger building beneath the surface. I won't be surprised if the second half has a different character than the first, which might make the first seem better for the dramatic contrast it might provide.

I wish someone who read the light novel could shed light on whether it gets darker because I seriously don't believe the light hearted/fun approach is going to make this series the best it can possibly be. It's still possible as you suggest that they do a 360 and go into full overdrive making this a nonstop suspense ride with conflicts/battles, which is something I hope happens as they pretty much are still slowly building the world and characters.

Darker than black season one did a great job slowly providing details of the world and slowly building the final conflict so maybe this show still has hope.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
My friend and I watched First Squad early in February and we both enjoyed it. I've got the BD edition, so we actually started to watch the long version, not realising it had the live action interviews interspersed. We found they kept interrupting the flow of the animation, so we switched to the other (short) version, which was just the animation itself and which flowed more smoothly. Interesting was Erin's reference to the 1983 cartoon Dungeons and Dragons, as I remember thinking something felt familiar while I watched that scene in First Squad, but couldn't put my finger on it. I also felt the movie had a bit of Hellboy feel to it in some places. At only fifty some odd minutes in length, I just wished the animated movie was longer. Interestingly enough, both my friend and I felt we liked First Squad better than Redline, which we had just watched prior.

I haven't watched any of the Bodacious Space Pirates episodes, but have seen some of the promos. I'm looking forward to Sentai's release.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I respectfully disagree with your take on "First Squad." Anticipating the title for months, it was a day one purchase for me along with "Redline", which was a fantastic movie that I couldn't recommend more fervently. But as for "First Squad"....

Yeesh, what a mess. Not that it was horrible, because the production and music was completely top-notch, and at the very least, it was some pleasant eye candy. But the plot itself sped along without abandon, not stopping and telling us why the heck we should even care about the protagonists. Not to mention the fact that the whole thing was a buildup for a final battle that lasts about 2-5 minutes, and then doesn't even climax with a proper conclusion. In my opinion, "First Squad" had one of the most ludicrously slipshod endings I've seen in anything in YEARS, with perhaps the lamest open-ended plot thread of anything I'm going to see for quite some time.

Only the cheesy entertainment factor of some action sequences make this watchable as a rental, but as for purchasing an unfinished, sloppy and quite frankly lame film backed by gorgeous animation, a killer soundtrack and an excellent Russian vocal track... erm, heck to the no. Rental Shelf all the way.

BUT I'm not dissing your opinion, because you certainly are entitled to it! Smile Great shelf selection this week, too, really organized and put together!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4