• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More on Red Tint Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You know, they've never released Song of the South (remembered primarily for the song Zip-i-dee-doo-dah) due to theoretically racist/derogatory imagery in the first few minutes? Something about all the black people on the plantation seeming spectacularly bright and cheerful for apparently being slaves, but that part I haven't been able to confiirm personally.

There's a bit more to it than tht, but the NAACP has gone on record saying they don't have a problem with it, James Earl Jones and Danny Glover offered their support. It's Eisner that's keeping it back because of his own personal perceptions, despite the fact that Disney re-released it back in 1986 to a thundering silence of protest
Onv

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
You know, they've never released Song of the South (remembered primarily for the song Zip-i-dee-doo-dah) due to theoretically racist/derogatory imagery in the first few minutes? Something about all the black people on the plantation seeming spectacularly bright and cheerful for apparently being slaves, but that part I haven't been able to confiirm personally.

And yeah, alot of their old Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofey cartoons had some elements that wouldn't fly over today.

Anybody seen American World War 2 civilian animation? Sort of creepy at times, how blatant the stereotypes were.

Can anyone give me some more information on Song of the South and the American World War 2 civilian animation? I'm researching this for a school assignment and I think it would be interesting.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Onv wrote:
thecactusman17 wrote:

Anybody seen American World War 2 civilian animation? Sort of creepy at times, how blatant the stereotypes were.

Can anyone give me some more information on Song of the South and the American World War 2 civilian animation? I'm researching this for a school assignment and I think it would be interesting.

Bugs a Nazi? Fred Flintstone smoking a ciggy?
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:19 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Haiseikoh 1973]
Bugs a Nazi? Fred Flintstone smoking a ciggy?[/quote]

Actually, the flinstones one was run in the 50's. My TV teacher was showing our class those ads last year. We also saw a public health video from then too. Very anti-communist. Search TV archives, they should have plenty of that stuff.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
wonder if that includeswith Miramax.

It did work with Miramax. That's why Princess Mononoke has three languages on it.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
In fact we bitched so loud and long that Tokuma smacked them with a "Thou shalt" commandment and the disc was delayed 3 months Smile
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:

Actually, the flinstones one was run in the 50's. My TV teacher was showing our class those ads last year. We also saw a public health video from then too. Very anti-communist. Search TV archives, they should have plenty of that stuff.[/quote]

There are some old politicle catoons here.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:21 am Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:

"Superman in Japanese-O-Teurs" killed my childhood. There's nothing quite like seeing a childhood hero beating up slant-eyed Japanese midgets that look like they have fangs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:51 am Reply with quote
Onv wrote:

I forgot:

Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
JustJon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Warner Bros. release a video of WW2 cartoons not too long ago? I think Bugs Bunny nips the nips was on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2