• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Frontier, Code Geass R2 Gets DVD, Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
What exactly is the reason that macross can't come here.

This isn't the whole story, but it should give you at least an idea of some of the troubles this title may have.

Keywords here are: complete ownership of the Macross trademark.

There is a whole other set of trouble on the Japanese side as well.

Edit:
There is some hope though wrote:
Harmony Gold does not oppose licensing the Macross series or other Macross titles for dubbed and subbed releases. However, the legal battle in Japan between Tatsunoko and Big West over the foreign distribution rights for the series has halted the possibility of new license agreements.

Tatsunoko and Big West and Studio Nue ruling<--- Although I think more has happened since then ('03).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

I'm pretty sure the problem there is that there are at least three different copyright holders in Japan: Studio Nue, Big West, and one other (if someone knows l'm wrong, please correct me).

EDIT: Didn't see the last link on the previous post. This is what I get for surfing on Wii.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
cloud1989 wrote:
What exactly is the reason that macross can't come here.

This isn't the whole story, but it should give you at least an idea of some of the troubles this title may have.

Keywords here are: complete ownership of the Macross trademark.

Edit:
There is some hope though wrote:
Harmony Gold does not oppose licensing the Macross series or other Macross titles for dubbed and subbed releases. However, the legal battle in Japan between Tatsunoko and Big West over the foreign distribution rights for the series has halted the possibility of new license agreements.

That's Harmony Gold's side of the story. According what is said for Studio Nue (the actual creators of Macross) and its Big West backer, Harmony Gold is demanding that anything named Macross be licensed through them, even something like Macross Zero which Harmony Gold had nothing to do with.

There's a lot that's happened since Harmony Gold sent those threatening letters. The importers looked at Harmony Gold's claim that it can bar third-party imports of Macross stuff, and realized that it was groundless. That's why you can find Japanese Macross stuff in American anime shops and conventions now.

Quote:
Tatsunoko and Big West and Studio Nue ruling<--- Although I think more has happened since then ('03).

That's actually the second lawsuit. What we have now is Studio Nue (actual creators of Macross) and Big West are the only ones allowed to make new anime based on Macross concepts, according to the lawsuits. Harmony Gold and its partner Tatsunoko claim they're the only ones allowed to sell anything based on Macross outside Japan.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

I'm pretty sure the problem there is that there are at least three different copyright holders in Japan: Studio Nue, Big West, and one other (if someone knows l'm wrong, please correct me).

In Japan, there are Studio Nue (the actual creators of Macross) and Big West, and they're both been working together since the original Macross. That's why there's Macross Frontier.

Outside of Japan, Harmony Gold and its partner Tatsunoko are claiming that they hold the rights, even though Tatsunoko has had nothing to do with Macross anime in over two decades. That's one reason why there's no new Macross anime outside Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2