• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wanna be an anime director... but I'm American.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The new Batman animation license are holded by American and not by Japanese. The Japanese just make it into Anime version just like Power Puff Girls Z that are made by Japanese hired by American.

Last edited by Asian Guy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
The new Batam animation license are holded by American and not by Japanese. The Japanese just make it into Anime version just like Power Puff Girls Z that are made by Japanese hired by American.

I meant the 90's Batman series. Sorry I wasn't more specific considering this new Batman coming out.

I love your avatar.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Well it seems the obvious solution here is to get plastic surgery to make you look Japanese, then move to Japan, kill a random Japanese man and steal his identity. That will leave you ideally placed to kill a famous anime director, get further plastic surgery to make you look like him, and then steal his identity. Murder and plastic surgery are the quickest way to realize your dreams.

No seriously though, Consider a career in North American animation or maybe as a Manga artist. There is a lot of willingness to publish OEL Manga these days so it is at least possible without moving to Japan or any such thing.
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Zade wrote:
I have some ideas for stories that I'd like to create and I think anime would be the best medium to tell them.

How so?

Anime isn't a medium unto itself. Animation is a medium; anime is just animation in Japan.

And while the Japanese animation industry is certainly telling different sorts of stories than other countries' animation industries, that's not a fait accompli that would prevent your stories from being told anywhere else.

Michael Arias moved to Japan, learned Japanese and became fully a part of the anime industry, but when it came time to direct his movie, he adapted 'Tekkonkinkreet,' rather than telling his own original story. And indeed, most anime productions are based on source material such as existing manga, rather than on wholly new story ideas.

So there are a few reasons that your premise sounds a bit odd; it's both too limiting and not limiting enough, in terms of the reality of your future options.
Zade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
How so?

Anime isn't a medium unto itself. Animation is a medium; anime is just animation in Japan.

And while the Japanese animation industry is certainly telling different sorts of stories than other countries' animation industries, that's not a fait accompli that would prevent your stories from being told anywhere else.

Michael Arias moved to Japan, learned Japanese and became fully a part of the anime industry, but when it came time to direct his movie, he adapted 'Tekkonkinkreet,' rather than telling his own original story. And indeed, most anime productions are based on source material such as existing manga, rather than on wholly new story ideas.

So there are a few reasons that your premise sounds a bit odd; it's both too limiting and not limiting enough, in terms of the reality of your future options.

The story I want to tell the most uses powers like DragonBallZ or Yu Yu Hakusho and sword fighting plus high-tech machines. (People have told me they think it's a cool idea.) I honestly just can't imagine it in any other medium than an anime or game. Making that game would probably be hell to do though especially the controls. And I don't think any other kinds of animation than anime would look good for the movie. I suppose it could look good the way Bungie does game trailers ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=1RK6WFIUDbg ), but I doubt I could anyone like them to animate my movie since they are busy making games.

I also never said I was limiting myself to anime. I said I want to be a director but I would work jobs like stepping stones to eventually get there. If I don't reach being a director I could step back. I realize I might never accomplish any of this so I wouldn't be too disappointed if I don't succeed.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Why don't you try the classic way? try getting along with some Japanese Animation company staff.
Zade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Why don't you try the classic way? try getting along with some Japanese Animation company staff.

Because I live in America... if you can think of a way I can get into contact with some Japanese animators, (remember I don't speak Japanese) tell me.
Zade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this counts as off-topic or inappropriate to an anime board, but since it is some form of animation and I've already touched on a subject like it, I'll post about it. I just watched Beowolf today (total coincidence) and I think things like Dragonballz might look good using the techniques used in the movie, do you guys think it might be a good idea to look for a job there?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
With all due respect, asking for career advice on an internet message board is generally not a good idea.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
what the above said, but to add to that you have about no chance to actually get into the anime making industry, but you do love anime I would assume so I think you would have a much better chance working your way up or making your own american licensing company, It won't be easy, and you may fail, but you would have a better chance than trying to get into actually making anime. Sure you won't make anime, but you will take part in localizing it, selling it, and having a say in what english speaking people can legally watch. So you should learn how to run a good buisness, speak japanese( if requied), make friends in high places, obtain enough money to take of and find some willing employees, and have lots of luck and you may just make it through. But if you insist on "creating" then you will have to settle for directing american animation that is inspired by anime.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
No I don't know any Japanese Anime company staff, you have to find them yourself.

And I agree to some of the members who said you should open your own Animation company. Why not look at the other american who have do the same by hiring Japanese or Koreans as their Animation company animators? Low on budged? then that is a classic obstacle.
Tama!Tama!Tama!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Well it seems the obvious solution here is to get plastic surgery to make you look Japanese, then move to Japan, kill a random Japanese man and steal his identity. That will leave you ideally placed to kill a famous anime director, get further plastic surgery to make you look like him, and then steal his identity. Murder and plastic surgery are the quickest way to realize your dreams.

No seriously though, Consider a career in North American animation or maybe as a Manga artist. There is a lot of willingness to publish OEL Manga these days so it is at least possible without moving to Japan or any such thing.

I believe this to be the best method since it follows an easier route then learning japanese and moving there for awhile and etc..
If you go to school and get into animation here, with your passion and determination you could do anything.People have to see in you what you see in yourself!-words to live by.

I can do anything in a book take a look reading rainbow.....
sanbyaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
if you ask me its all about frame of mind, the reason you have to live in japan a number of years is not only because of the language issues, its because of the way they think, its very different from the ´western´way of thinking. I noticed this the first time i watched anime.
I plan on studying in japan in the near future, if i make some contacts i´ll pm you Wink
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Big problem isn't it? I have some ideas for stories that I'd like to create and I think anime would be the best medium to tell them. But since I don't live in Japan and I don't speak Japanese it'll probably be hard to become an anime director. I was wondering if you guys could think of anything that could help me... this is the most popular anime forum in English right?
I think my best bet would be to make it into the gaming industry and eventually ask a Japan based gaming company (I was leaning toward Square Enix) to hire me and later hook me up with an anime studio. Or as someone suggested to me I could try to open up an anime studio in America? I also can't understand Japanese yet. Thoughts?

I know how you feel! I wanna be a mangaka or light novelist when I'm older! But I'm still young and my drawing skills need work and my japanese needs work too. If my stories are popular enough, they can be turned into anime.
Zade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
sanbyaku wrote:
if you ask me its all about frame of mind, the reason you have to live in japan a number of years is not only because of the language issues, its because of the way they think, its very different from the ´western´way of thinking. I noticed this the first time i watched anime.
I plan on studying in japan in the near future, if i make some contacts i´ll pm you Wink

I think it's true, eastern and western ideas differ, especially if you watch Naruto (I think it's stupid, how in the story so many devote themselves to another like they do). Actually my ideas contain a very western way of thinking. I don't plan to change them to the eastern way. By the way, thanks sanbyaku.

As for asking career advice on a message board, I'm only asking for opinions and getting ideas from them. I'll do my own research and decide what I'm going to do on my own.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner... Spring break, and I'm probably not going to be on again until around Saturday.

Again thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming if you think of anything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6