• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aya Hirano Appears on Rolling Stone Mag's Cover in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
v1cious wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Public image does play a part in Japanese idolism and scandals don't just blow over like in America.
And that's why it's a big deal. The fact that she bounced back from something like this is a story in itself.

Yeah that was my first thought - its all made her more popular (atleast to media) to get on this mag cover. Good for her.

Seiyuu's aren't quite "idols" but pretty close these days. Any hint of a boyfriend and you might be finished - Aki Toyosaki is dealing with that a bit right now.

Right or wrong the idol and seiyuu fans put those girls up on a very high pedestal and not much less than a pure-virgin who doesn't drink or smoke is acceptable.

I would hold your praise a bit. She hasn't bounced back as of yet. There's been a lot of talk about roles she's getting but have we seen much yet? No. So don't jump the gun and say how she's bounced back and her career is coming up from the ashes like the Phoenix. Just a bunch of talk and little proof as of yet. Not trying to be mean here, just advising you if you're a fan of hers to not get your hopes up just yet. I would wait to see the roles pan out and see the finished product/reception before I put all my eggs in one basket. If she can get some GOOD roles (not just minor character bit roles) and gives some good performances then crack open the bubbly.
Jackstick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I just want more Haruhi...

I don't care about anything else. Just give me more Haruhi please. Sad
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I hope she does bounce back (if she hasn't already). The whole "my pure idol I wuv you to death!" mentality is sickening and should be crushed. If more people (well, ladies) are able to continue on after they've been "impurified", then eventually I think this whole stupid mentality will die a deserved death, or at least be greatly diminished.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I hope she does bounce back (if she hasn't already). The whole "my pure idol I wuv you to death!" mentality is sickening and should be crushed.

It's just an extension of the manner fans treat their favorite anime girls. They put their favorite anime girls on a pedestal, then they put the seiyuu voicing those girls on the same pedestal.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
enurtsol,

It's fine if people want to put their imaginary loves on a pedestal. But when you try to dictate the lives of real people and expect someone who doesn't know you to remain "pure" so as to maintain your suspension of disbelief -- essentially, when you feel a real person is your possession -- you've crossed the line and need to be sat down hard before you hurt someone.

The whole sales culture which encourages this sort of mentality needs to be hammered out of existance, IMO. Encouraging this sort of mentality is dangerous and unfair, especially to the women who are simply doing their jobs or following their personal passions, but also to the people who are experiencing it.
scineram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
I cannot blame this just on the fans. The idols and the producers themselves who pander to this are also responsible. Good for Aya that she is not in this race to the bottom.
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote
Aya is a rock star. She's wild and unpredictable and most likely shaves her pubic hair completely.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Seems like it should be an interesting read. I've enjoyed her roles so I wish her the best of luck, especially with the smear campaign going against her.

The super hardcore ultra, the voice of my cartoon characters must be an eternal virginal princess fans may have abandoned her but it will interesting to see if they're just a vocal minority of anime otaku or if they actually have the financial pull to ruin someone who won't succumb to their nonsense and give up on themselves.
Jackstick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Osaka wrote:
Aya is a rock star. She's wild and unpredictable and most likely shaves her pubic hair completely.

Damn, not even a landing strip?
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Public image does play a part in Japanese idolism and scandals don't just blow over like in America.

This. She has no one to blame but herself for causing the scandal. It's not gender base, male idols have gotten kick out of bands for being in scandals. She open her mouth about her private life saying she likes to screw older guys on live TV, which is a big no no for any celebrities in Japan. Then she later talked crap about her agency when she herself was the one causing her agency problems, even though they had warn her before. The Otaku thing was just part of the scandal that she herself caused. Let's see if she learned her lesson in not screwing things (no pun intended) behind the scenes and on TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2