• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: South Carolina Student Removed over "Death Note" List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the school is perfectly within their right to take action. As much as people here want to defend it, having a Death Note list is the same as a kill list. Whether it is serious or not (and let's hope for the latter), it's still something that cannot be just swept aside because it happened to be from an anime.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
The school went a little overboard here.

I don't think you or your parents would feel that way if your name was in that note book. I mean the school officials have to look into why a student would write the name of fellow class mates in a notebook.
chaosrefugee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
As some have said, I definitely don't see how people can consider this an over-reaction to the situation. For whatever reason, school shootings have become exceptionally frequent in the past few months. Even after Columbine, the school shootings were usually far and in between. This situation would be just the same if the kid had a "hit list" instead. The important part of this whole thing is that the school found something that may or may not lead the kid to find more violent means to vent his stress and angst. That possibility is more than enough a reason for the kid's punishment.

Also, it's kinda creepy that some of the people on this thread are trying to defend their favorite anime by condoning this type of thing (labeled death note or not). That's just to show how immature and detached from the reality of life some fandom can be. "It's ok to have people jeopardizing lives as long as I can watch my anime."
rekishi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
how would you feel if it was your name in that book?

i'm quite surprised by some of the comments in this thread.... especially from people living in the USA... how many school massacres have you people had?

how long before he realises his notebook doesn't work and picks up a gun?

the kid needs help, and anyone else who is writing names of people they know in one of these note books, even if it is just for fun, should really think about what they are doing.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the school's extreme reaction had ANYTHING to do with the fact that it was Death Note. Tons of kids get suspended for just saying "I'm going to kill you" in middle school; I got sent to the principal's office when I was a kid for saying I wanted to beat people up offhand, without even mentioning a specific person. While I thought it was all annoying and stupid as a kid, now that I'm a little older, I'm actually pretty grateful they were so cautious. Considering that there are so many school shootings, and that lots of... seemingly unstable people started bringing knives to class during high school... yeah, sometimes it's scary to even walk into that school building.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
rekishi:
Quote:
how many school massacres have you people had?

Well, back in the day, they used to blame Mortal Kombat for school shootings, but lately, people are starting to realize that it's kids having easy access to guns.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...

I shall defend the notebook to an extent. I understand why the school chose to remove it, but like I said, if this was a regular notebook with the same list in it, would they have reacted any differently? Really? As I said before, it's more obvious because the name did say "death note."

If someone was actually carrying the manga around, it would've been a different story...I would think so, anyway.

This is the thought that crosses my mind. There has been 2 school shootings recently, and despite everything, even the Virginia Tech shooting, I haven't really heard of steps being taken to prevent that.

Obviously with kids just bringing the notebook to play around and not have any insight on the concept and meaning of the series, they shouldn't even have any business of playing around with a toy like that. Us older ones will use the book just for novelty value/cosplay.

Some may just use it as a regular notebook.

I'm defending the series as I would with anything. I've NEVER read Harry Potter. I've watched SpongeBob Squarepants. I've never really cared for GTA or Halo, either. My brother's play Halo and they haven't even turned 13. (Anime hyper I hate that, being the "mom" type, but they're not my kids.) It's just that people say that it would influence others to go out to do things like that....Most people have self control over that kind of mentality.

I'm positive that the kid knew it could bring this kind of controversy. But as I said, wth is this kid doing with this notebook? In a middle school even... School did the right thing...but I don't really know if he should be expelled, they're only going by what they see as a hit list, though. God, that kid was stupid.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure how to feel about this news.

On the one hand the automatic reaction I took to the story was "that's abit extreme" but the more I think about it the more it now seems to me that the school's action was the only logical outcome. Imagine what you would do if put in their place. You find a little black book owned by one of the students at your school with the words "Death Note" written on the front cover, then when you open it up it reveals the names of several students that attended the same school... now to remove a student over something like this would be alittle over the top but then you were to learn about what the book represents and it's role the actual book plays in the show it came from... well I think I would remove the student to, I know that it is very unlikely that this student would ever be so mentally unstable to actually carry out the deaths that the book is implying but what if he/she did... how would you feel then, I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that all this could have been stopped. I know it's an exteme and very unlikely view to take on the situation but... the kid IS already wishing death apon people and to me it's on a slightly more serious plane than just saying "oh I wish he was dead" it's different. Then again without the FULL facts of the story it's very hard to really have a definitive view on it... were the names in the book people this student knew very well, how did he know them, did he actually have a grudge against these people or was it done as a joke. In the long run the student will no doubt be judged either fit or unfit to re-enter the school... if he isn't then it was clearly the right choice to remove them but if he is allowed back he has learnt a lesson, don't be so bloody stupid to write down the names of people you wish dead in a book titled "Death Note" and then take it to school, they only have themselves to blame. If I had a child who went to that school and I learned that another kid was doing this "even with my knowledge of the show" I'd still like them removed.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
....and so it starts, and you know there will be a LOT more of them. There was no real doubt in my mind that once this was brought over it would give stupid people stupid ideas.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I think the school's actions were perfectly justified. It's the stupid kid's fault for taking something like that to school and leaving it lying around, especially when most (if not all) public schools are extremely sensitive to that sort of thing. When I was 9, I got an in-school suspension for offhandedly mentioning stabbing some kid. In my freshman year of high school, they found some girl's notebook with a list of names in it, and immediately tracked her down and asked about it. It's because of all of the school shootings and stuff that school officials overreact to these things, whether it's a Death Note or just some school notebook. Frankly, if it turns out that someone caught writing names in a Death Note was actually planning a shooting or something, I think the overreaction is entirely worth it if lives are saved.

Also, I can't help but roll my eyes whenever one of these Death Note cases comes up. Honestly, DN is probably the worst thing ever to happen to emo 'culture'; take a bunch of whiny kids who are convinced that they've got it worse than everyone and the world hates them, and give them an anime where this loner bishounen guy can kill people just by writing their name in a notebook. At least Light doesn't have to write poetry the moon raping raven-black roses and cutting himself on their thorns and all that junk to kill people; then we'd have an even bigger problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chaosrefugee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Hmm...

I shall defend the notebook to an extent. I understand why the school chose to remove it, but like I said, if this was a regular notebook with the same list in it, would they have reacted any differently? Really? As I said before, it's more obvious because the name did say "death note."

Yes, it's more obvious, but why would they react differently? Things like this have been going on LONG before Death Note ever existed. Angsty kid writes a list of names of people he wants to beat up/kill/humilate after what they've done to him. The fact of the matter is that the kid might actually do these things..not that it may be related to some anime.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
Obviously with kids just bringing the notebook to play around and not have any insight on the concept and meaning of the series, they shouldn't even have any business of playing around with a toy like that. Us older ones will use the book just for novelty value/cosplay.

You're assuming alot with this statement. It's also somewhat condescending. Not everyone is as rational as you'd think. Also age really has nothing to do with it. There are people "older as yourself" who may be just as unstable. Please don't assume that everyone is as well-to-do as yourself, or that you're always in the right as well.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
I'm defending the series as I would with anything. I've NEVER read Harry Potter. I've watched SpongeBob Squarepants. I've never really cared for GTA or Halo, either. My brother's play Halo and they haven't even turned 13. (Anime hyper I hate that, being the "mom" type, but they're not my kids.) It's just that people say that it would influence others to go out to do things like that....Most people have self control over that kind of mentality.

I'm positive that the kid knew it could bring this kind of controversy. But as I said, wth is this kid doing with this notebook? In a middle school even... School did the right thing...but I don't really know if he should be expelled, they're only going by what they see as a hit list, though. God, that kid was stupid.

Like I and others have said..the fact that it was Death Note is just a footnote. You also assume once more that all people have self control. Obviously there are people who don't if there are such things as school shootings and crime in general. No one can say what the kid had in mind, but the school is definitely in the right here.
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
But Light wasn't emo, he was insane. He was also quite the ladies man.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
If he had made a "People I'm going to kill" list, no one would be defending him. But because he called it a "Death Note", scores of people behind screenname avatars rise to his defense. He'll be "a martyr" to the apparently ever-forthcoming banning of all the precious anime/manga in America, as opposed to a potential sociopath.

It's quite clever, actually.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
What I find most amusing about this story is how many people out there treat the show as an uber-serious drama. Honestly, if anyone tries to tell me that Death Note is anything but a flat-out comedy with some tongue-in-cheek "dramatic" elements after watching the last few episodes that have premiered on Adult Swim, they're just flat-out nuts. Very Happy

On a more serious note, I don't see the school's response as an overreaction in the least. Fictional or no, the sole purpose of writing someone's name in a "Death Note" is to wish death upon them. Call it "pretending" if you like, but in my eyes, anyone who actually takes that action has some severe issues and needs immediate help.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I'd say the school is perfectly within their right to take action. As much as people here want to defend it, having a Death Note list is the same as a kill list. Whether it is serious or not (and let's hope for the latter), it's still something that cannot be just swept aside because it happened to be from an anime.
agreed. after all those cases of violence in schools, especially school shootings and the like, it's the duty of the school to do whatever it takes to try to keep something like that from happening again. sure, someone bringing a Death Note to school could be harmless, but anyone with a scrap of common sense would realize how stupid it is after stuff like the Columbine shooting and the tragedy at Virginia Tech.

they've already shown a lack of judgment bringing something like that to school, so the school has to worry that maybe something else is going on. sure, it could be a simple lapse of judgment, but it could be something deeper. they are essentially bringing a deathlist to school, a school has to take that seriously even if it is a joke.

this is not about a school overreacting to anime/manga, this is a school reacting to someone with a deathlist. it's probably done as a joke, but the school cannot take that chance because if it isn't then they'll be at fault for allowing another school tragedy to take place.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9