• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer's Mach 5 Car "Tested" in Road & Track Mag

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It might be called the Viper GTS (heavily modified of course)..

No, I was thinking of an original vehicle being produced and sold as a street super-car. There is the Mosler MT900s, which has 1800 hp, but that's not the one I was thinking of...

-t
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Banken wrote:
1700 HP in a car that weighs 2400 pounds (plus the 140-pound driver... since I wouldn't guess that Speed is a very hefty guy) and doesn't have anything even resembling sufficient tire grip or downforce would be terrifying to drive, much less race...

Actually, the article mentions several things about the Mach 5's tire grip being second to none. Super-special nano-tech tires and tire crampons Anime smallmouth;

Heheh...

Actually, there is a sports car being produced right now (forgot the name), that has 1700 hp and weighs under 3000 lbs.It's faster than the Veyron, but doesn't qualify as a "production" vehicle.

Makes my Cosworth-Subaru seem like a kitten I guess....

-t

Well, they said "a warm F1 tire," and F1 tires don't have spit for grip until they're HOT (a near-boiling 180 degrees)... plus, as far as racing tires go, F1 tires are limited in grip because they're required to have grooves.

Also, MOST of a Formula cars grip comes from downforce, not pure tire grip.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Also, MOST of a Formula cars grip comes from downforce, not pure tire grip.

Varies from formula to formula, but definitely true for F1, I had forgotten that.

Still, the crampons.... If we're treating this car like it's real, we're supposed to believe that it's capable of pulling black-out inducing 6gs in the corners / skidpad.

I wonder if Sonada got his idea for the crampons on Bean Bandit's car from the Mach 5. I admit to never seing Speed Racer, are the crampons part of the original, or something new they're using for the movie. I assume the former, but...

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2