• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Slayers Fantasy TV Anime Series in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grico

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
A new slayers series? Now? Ok its times for me to start hoping irrationally for a Tokyo Babylon tv series to be announced....
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Grico wrote:
Ok its times for me to start hoping irrationally for a Tokyo Babylon tv series to be announced....

I'd love to see that. The OVA didn't even begin to scratch the surface of the story.

The only Slayers anime I've seen was the movie that involved Lina, Nagi, and...an old man? All I remember is that it had horrible transitions between scenes that made me wonder if I'd accidentally pressed some button on my remote and skipped something.

I've read the first five novels, IMO, they went from kinda funny to just decent.

But I'm going to give the new anime a try.
Emichan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I am really excited about this! I just wrote a review a couple of weeks ago on the Slayers NEXT DVD box, and watching it got me all nostalgic about Slayers Very Happy

I would rather see them 'going back to the well' with a series like this (which has already withstood several sequels and maintained the funny) than have another season full of stupid harem series. It is a good sign that the original team is back working on this. If it was a bunch of new people, I might be more worried.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
America is reviving franchises from the 80's.
Japan is reviving franchises from the 90's.
(Japan already went thru their 80's kick awhile ago, like Maison Ikkoku.)
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope that they bring back the original cast. It wouldn't be the same without them. Smile
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Boy I sure do hope they skewer cliches and conventions of the fantasy genre by pointing them out in the most obvious and unfunny ways possible

I snorted - I really did. Thanks, Zac!
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I love slayers, and I really liked trigun, but...

If we needed any proof that the Japanese anime industry is having issues, it's that they are going back to the "well" so-to-speak with these "new" series.
At least they got the same people behind it... Let's see if the slayers magic can be rekindled again Wink.

Leave it to anime fans to make everything into a negative. >_____> A fan-favorite is being brought back and that's some how bad news? Give me a break

This is awesome news. Slayers was my first big anime. Definitely still a big fan.

Last edited by jsyxx on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
WOW. Most unexpected news ever. I am absolutly thrilled. Slayers was the first series I collected seriously. At first because the tapes retailed for $20 subbed instead of $30, and $20 was two months' allowance if I was lucky. I remember how CPM only licensed half of the first series and we had to wait a year and a half inbetween episodes 13 and 14, too. Oh, man, good times.

As weird as it sounds, I'm going to miss reading Software Sculptors' subtitles in this new show. The subs on Slayers were very characteristic; whoever did the translation had a great knack for dialog ; each character had a distinct manner of speech and interesting turns of phrase, without losing translation accuracy
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
And I always knew they would do another series. The anime version never finished the story-line of the novels. So there's definitely some ground that has yet to be covered.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Boy I sure do hope they skewer cliches and conventions of the fantasy genre by pointing them out in the most obvious and unfunny ways possible

Me too Zac...

me too.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The fact that you don't understand the appeal of Slayers doesn't surprise me at all. Rolling Eyes
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh snap, this is exciting. Now if only Funimation would hurry up with the Try boxset, I could catch up and finally finish a series I started in the 90's and then get back on the franchise train with this new series Very Happy

Please please please let Lina be the star...she is too cute to pass up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
It'll probably be a new story, but set in the same universe.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
So, I can expect Ranma ½ making a return? No, good. :p Good to hear Lina and gang coming back though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
So, I can expect Ranma ½ making a return? No, good. :p Good to hear Lina and gang coming back though.

Eh, right now there's no confirmation on whether or not Lina will actually come back herself. It may be just new characters to that extent. I'm hoping though that somewhere they'll be able to fit Lina in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5