• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spirited Away's Canadian Network Premiere on Sunday

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I thought the no-cuts policy only applied to Disney Studios when they decided to distribute the Ghibli movies. When I saw Kiki's Delivery Service on the Disney Channel a long time ago, it aired uncut. Although when it aired on Channel 5 (a channel unrelated to Disney) it aired cut.
subaru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
To be fair, almost every movie ever shown on television has significant amounts of scenes cut out in order to allow for commercials and matching up with a timeslot.

Yes, totally agree with you. It's network televison. What did you guys expect?? Even though I can't confirm on that, but I'm pretty sure a big commercial television network company would have solved all the legal issues about editing a film before they do that and put it on air.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge Miyazaki fan too. But please understand that Miyazaki is not the boss of Ghibli (correct my spelling if I'm wrong....), he might not like his film to be butched like that, but he is not the only person who whould have a say on this. Also, as I remember in one of Miyazaki's interviews, he mentioned that he never suggest his audience to watch his films on TV anyway. I don't think he would care about this network-tv-edit too much.

If you do respect this film. Buy the DVD. Watch it in cinema.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it would be one thing to be mad about it being edited for content, but editing for time is a reality of TV. If you want the completely unedited, full length version, go buy it on DVD. Its still better to have a edited for time version on TV than nothing.

For the sake of them ever airing Anime again though, please don't go all militant on them with the angry emails and posts on their forums. Lets be reasonable here. If you want to bring to their attention that they may not have been allowed to edit it, or even that you think they shouldnt have edited it, fine. But please do so politely.
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
subaru wrote:
Yes, totally agree with you. It's network televison. What did you guys expect??

So you're ok with network censors deciding what parts of Miyazaki's masterpiece the masses get to see?

This isn't Fat Chicks or Fern Gully we're talking about. This is an Oscar-winning film everyone of any importance recognizes as a piece of cinema art. You KNOW Casablanca or The Godfather or even Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind would never air with 30 MINUTES cut out. The only reason the network did this was because, no matter how many people treasure it, Spirited Away is "just a cartoon," and they think kids are too stupid to notice.

If you truly love this director, how about standing up for him? Just because things are the way they are doesn't mean you can't fight to change them.
Ragebot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yeah, it would be one thing to be mad about it being edited for content, but editing for time is a reality of TV. If you want the completely unedited, full length version, go buy it on DVD. Its still better to have a edited for time version on TV than nothing.

The problem here is that CBC deliberately removed 25% of the film, only so that they didn't have to make a schedule alteration for the subsequent timeslot. It could and should have aired in a two-and-a-half hour timeslot, but they did no such thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ragebot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

The problem here is that CBC deliberately removed 25% of the film, only so that they didn't have to make a schedule alteration for the subsequent timeslot. It could and should have aired in a two-and-a-half hour timeslot, but they did no such thing.

Quote:
Watch it in cinema.

Oh, yes, and exactly where currently can the average person do that? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
Ragebot wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

only so that they didn't have to make a schedule alteration? Were probably luck that a major TV station is airing something like this at all. Its ridiculous to expect them to rearange their programing to accomodate a 2 1/2 hour movie. I doubt a lot North American movies would even warant rearanging their programing to accomodate that. Movies on TV are edited to fit into a 2 hour timeslot because this is a nice convinient block. Its just the way things work.

Quote:
Watch it in cinema.

Oh, yes, and exactly where currently can the average person do that? Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Don't chop quotes to manipulate their meaning.

subaru actually wrote:
Buy the DVD. Watch it in cinema.

Again, If you want to see it in all its full glory, go buy the DVD. Movies simply do not get prestiege treatment on TV.

Twage:
Thats just playing the victim. Theres no reason to leap to the conclusion that it must be because they don't respect Anime. If they thought this was just some kiddie cartoon they wouldnt be airing it. You act like its the end of the freakin' world too. if you think this edited version was that bad, don't watch it. But for god sake don't "fight" to change things. All you'll do is discourage them from ever airing Anime again by giving them the impression that the fans all get pissed of if you edit it at all.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
only so that they didn't have to make a schedule alteration? Were probably luck that a major TV station is airing something like this at all. Its ridiculous to expect them to rearange their programing to accomodate a 2 1/2 hour movie. I doubt a lot North American movies would even warant rearanging their programing to accomodate that. Movies on TV are edited to fit into a 2 hour timeslot because this is a nice convinient block. Its just the way things work.

Pretty much any commercial private network in Canada would've run the film without time edits. CBC has to be one of the only stations I know of that actually still does this. Too bad no private network who would be willing to play the film has any working relationship with Disney.

Honestly though, even CBC's defenders will have to admit that cutting out nearly a quarter of the movie is excessive.

ikillchicken wrote:
Don't chop quotes to manipulate their meaning.

He didn't do anything to manipulate its meaning. You can't see it in theatres anymore outside of rare limited engagements, so it's sort of an invalid statement.

ikillchicken wrote:
If they thought this was just some kiddie cartoon they wouldnt be airing it.

Actually, they did air it in what is traditionally a "kiddie cartoon" timeslot. I don't think they really had a good sense of what kind of material they were working with, which is unfortunate.

ikillchicken wrote:
But for god sake don't "fight" to change things. All you'll do is discourage them from ever airing Anime again by giving them the impression that the fans all get pissed of if you edit it at all.

You are right about that. However, it doesn't mean we should be entirely passive about it either. If people contact them and work this out rationally, this could turn into a reasonably progressive movement. And just out of curiosity, has anyone besides myself actually called them? I'm really, really not joking when I say that their audience relations is willing to listen.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote
Well, perhaps I've spoken too soon. I'm used to people over-reacting to this kind of stuff so I partially assumed this was a similar case. I was under the impresssion that they did run it in a later time slot. Perhaps I'm mistaken as I am only speaking from experience but I still think movies on TV are almost always fit into a two hour block. I suppose that might largely still be doable since they fit with no time edits, not because of a decision not to edit them. Ofcourse, if thats the case, it means that it would be no shock if they edited something that didn't fit normally.

I will admit that a 1/4 of the movie is excessive though.

If they really did give it the kiddie treatment though, I think any suggestions may be in vain. If thats the case, they really aren't recognising it as a legitimate film and therefore, it is really no proof at all that they'd be at all willing to give serious Anime a try. Suggesting they do would really be no more effective than suggesting to any station that they give it a try.

BTW, I took the quote to mean "buy the DVD so you can see it cinematically (as it would be seen in theatres)". Also, regardless, chopping out the one flawed point while ignoring the validity of the other is something of a argument loophole in my oppinion.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
You KNOW Casablanca or The Godfather or even Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind would never air with 30 MINUTES cut out.

Actually, that is completely false. A year so ago CBC aired Gone with the Wind and they were cutting scenes left, right, and centre.

Just because it's anime and something you like is no reason to get stupid about things. No one expects movies to run on TV without cuts unless it's a speciality channel which CBC is not. If people want to see the complete thing, they get the DVD.
Ragebot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Actually, that is completely false. A year so ago CBC aired Gone with the Wind and they were cutting scenes left, right, and centre.

Just because it's anime and something you like is no reason to get stupid about things. No one expects movies to run on TV without cuts unless it's a speciality channel which CBC is not.

Though I don't support it being edited either, Gone With The Wind is one of the longest Hollywood productions ever made and wouldn't even be able to fit in a five-hour slot without edits. Spirited Away is a 120 minute film that could have easily fit into a 2.5 hour slot had CBC made a minor schedule change.

And also, who here amongst us is "getting stupid about things"? Pepperidge has been trying to encourage civil discussion between viewers and the CBC in order to remedy this situation. I have no idea what sort of conclusions you are trying to draw here.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Ragebot wrote:

Though I don't support it being edited either, Gone With The Wind is one of the longest Hollywood productions ever made and wouldn't even be able to fit in a five-hour slot without edits. Spirited Away is a 120 minute film that could have easily fit into a 2.5 hour slot had CBC made a minor schedule change.

The point is that things get edited. It's not a big deal unless you decide to make it one, just because it happens to be anime this time. Oh noes, the sky is falling.

Spirited Away was aired within The Wonderful World of Disney timeslot. That is 2 hrs, period. That's just how things are.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Ragebot wrote:
And also, who here amongst us is "getting stupid about things"? Pepperidge has been trying to encourage civil discussion between viewers and the CBC in order to remedy this situation. I have no idea what sort of conclusions you are trying to draw here.

Yeah, Pepperidge. Other people haven't been nearly as calm about it.
james039

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I must agree that airing it cut is better than not at all, but that it is a shame they cut so much of it.

The CW in Los Angeles aired Kiki's Delivery Service I think a couple years ago, and it was pretty badly cut too. I think you have to expect this with broadcast television. Spirited Away is something you could likely rent easily at a blockbuster, if you wanted to see it full length. I think you should buy this masterpiece of a film though, if you haven't already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2