• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Nominated for "Great Graphic Novels for Teens"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:
quartears wrote:
I just call manga j-comics to truly distinguish it from regular American graphic novels and Korean manhwa.
I don't understand this logic.
Calling manga 'J-comics' makes more sense than calling American books 'manga'. Why call an American product by a Japanese name in English? THAT makes no sense. You know, unless it's a gimmick trying to trick people.
True, but I was more confounded by the need to "truly distinguish" by not using the word manga.

What confusion is there? Manga is not a style or a genre and never was.

And the problem of these overly ambiguous, so-called "International Manga Awards" just adds fuel to the fire.
Snowcleo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Just to correct a few misunderstandings and explain some details:

*The Great Graphic Novels for Teens list is an annual list. Ten of the titles on that list are voted on as "Top Ten." So Death Note was on both the regular and the top ten list, along with the other titles mentioned. Here is the full list:
http://www.ala.org/ala/yalsa/booklistsawards/greatgraphicnovelsforteens/07GGNT.htm

*Titles are only eligible for a certain publication date. For example, to be nominated for the 2008 list, the title must have been published between Sept. 1, 2006 and Dec. 31, 2007. That's why, again for example, Antique Bakery vol. 1 was not on the 2007 list even though vol. 2-4 were. It's pub date didn't fit the rules.

*The Xenos--I completely agree with you about comics being comics no matter where they are from and labels being inaccurate at best. You are correct that Scott McCloud's book Making Comics addresses that issue, though I think you'll find that it is not actually a reprint of Understanding Comics. Rather he talking about the elements that go into creating strong comic art and story. And, you'll be happy to know, the reason why it is not on the nomination list for the 2008 Great Graphic Novels for Teens list is because it was actually on the 2007 list!

*britannicamoore--in response to your question, we read stuff at every available place. Some of the titles nominated were ones that publishers sent us (though that didn't insure a nomination), some were ones that were available at our libraries, and many of them were ones that we used our free time searching for. We talked to local comic book shops, to the teens in our libraries, to other librarians, to booksellers. We scoured bookstores, websites, and other places looking for as many new graphic novels for teens as we could find. It was fun, but a lot of work!

*And, yes, the inclusion of Identity Crisis has stirred up much controversy. As librarians we're thrilled. Nothing gets people excited about reading like having a book be controversial! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2