• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A new magical girl explosion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't think magical girl hentai will be the latest icon because it's targeted for an older audience and will never be on TV. (anime + Tv in north america = popular) Kamichama Karin may be popular if it get's released in North America. It already has a fanbase with the manga series and if in the right hands may be the latest icon.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
jetz wrote:
You should come to the Philippines then - Where more guys love these magical girl type shows.

That's because Filipino dudes are a bunch of moe-lovin' pussies. I SHOULD KNOW Laughing Laughing

This person speaks the truth.

No, for serious, I followed Cardcaptor Sakura back when it first aired in the Philippines like...

RELIGION.

(and it's essentially the show that started my now long-term Madhouse worship)

I had it on tape and everything.

(too bad I recorded over it though... the Filipino dub was cute)

That said, I'm under the impression that Magical Girl is really only popular in America as MANGA...

How's Full Moon doing in comparison to its anime counter-part, for starters?

But hey: I could be wrong.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
But see, every other country on earth got the PROPER version of CCS, didn't they? Whereas America was subjected to this thing ... with altered episodes and storylines ... that was just completely WRONG. Cardcaptor Sakura was America's last chance at a hit magical girl series, and they flubbed it, thus plunging the country into years of darkness where male-oriented shows were considered the only viable forms of anime that you could put on TV. This was compounded by the tightening and fracturing of the TV market in Japan over the past few years, so if you weren't a super mainstream marketable anime, you got shafted to otaku hours, a.k.a. Adult Swim hours, and no schoolgirl is going to be up at that time, so shoujo anime was pretty much a lost cause.

Right now, Pretty Cure still has a fighting chance ... but I have no freaking clue what is happening with that license in the US right now; I remember hearing that 4Kids picked it up but there doesn't seem to be anything else going on with it.

It's true that manga is better at attracting female fans, and so is a better place for the genre. But I don't really think of Full Moon as a magical girl series -- it has many of the elements, but it really ends up more as a fantasy-drama. Things like Sugar Sugar Rune, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch and Kamichama Karin are more like true magical girl, and, well, they're there, but they're not exactly tearing up the Bookscan charts. I think today's young female readers, if they want to get into a world-saving adventure series, they just turn straight to the boys' books (Naruto, Bleach, FMA) rather than have an artificial frilly sparkly world set up for them.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Besides, most of the Sailor Moon generation is into YAOI now. Go figure. Razz

At least you said most.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Magical girls hentai...the only one that pops to mind immediately (though if I scanned my collection I'm sure more than one would come up) is magical twilight.

Witches from the witch school have to pass a graduation exam. This includes getting an earthbound normal human to fall in love with them. As you'd expect more than one magically empowered bratty supergirl goes for the same spineless loser guy and sex ensues, including the whole array of hentai stereotypes, the mature older female (hot springs owner), well endowed teenage female (the witch who loses) the shy poorly endowed/younger female (main witch and hot springs owner daughter).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Magical girls aren't very appealing to guys espeically if it's very flamboyantly girly.

Nanoha is very popular for guys, but it's very short series and haven't been release in US.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:
Magical girls aren't very appealing to guys espeically if it's very flamboyantly girly.

Nanoha is very popular for guys, but it's very short series and haven't been release in US.
Ah, but it will be.

Patachu mentioned Sugar Sugar Rune, whose anime I've seen a few episodes of...it looks cute and well-done enough. But, in today's climate of outsourced dubs and no dubs at all, I doubt any company will want to take a chance on dubbing 51 episodes of a series from a market-weak genre.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
But see, every other country on earth got the PROPER version of CCS, didn't they?

This person speaks the truth.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

It's true that manga is better at attracting female fans, and so is a better place for the genre. But I don't really think of Full Moon as a magical girl series -- it has many of the elements, but it really ends up more as a fantasy-drama. Things like Sugar Sugar Rune, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch and Kamichama Karin are more like true magical girl, and, well, they're there, but they're not exactly tearing up the Bookscan charts. I think today's young female readers, if they want to get into a world-saving adventure series, they just turn straight to the boys' books (Naruto, Bleach, FMA) rather than have an artificial frilly sparkly world set up for them.

I guess it's because most people who do buy manga are older. If Mermaid Melody was on television here, I'm sure it would be popular among children.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame though with Sugar Sugar Rune. It looks squeaky clean, innocent and colorful on the surface but the characters are all quite cynical and the show has some dark and quirky aspects about it that are kind of twisted in some parts. So I think it could appeal both to girls and guys as well as adults. I think a company like Media Blasters could license this show given their trend of not doing dubs and their overall image of off-the-beaten-path anime.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

How's Full Moon doing in comparison to its anime counter-part, for starters?

I guess the manga did well enough since it finished, but it wasn't super popular or anything. The anime appears to be doing well enough to continue. Hopefully it will stay that way. I'm constantly worried that Viz is going to cancel Full Moon due to poor sales.

Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:

It's been licensed by Geneon, actually, so it will be coming out either very late this year or (more likely) early next year. But you are right, its not actually released yet. It's not exactly 'very short' though. The first season is only 13 episodes, but there are lots of series that length. Add on the other seasons, and its 52 episodes, which is hardly 'short.' Also, it should be noted that Nanoha isn't very 'girly' either. Its not exactly your typical magical girl series.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Actually, isn't there a whole lot of manga from that Full Moon lady (Arina Tanemura) available?

I'm under the impression that it does quite well if that's the case...

Like, she has a following (as far as manga is concerned).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah, she has a good amount out and it looks like another series of hers (called I*O*N, and its only one volume) is coming out at some point. So far she has Full Moon and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne released in their entirety, The Gentleman's Alliance currently being released, and a one shot just printed in Shojo Beat. So, yeah, I guess her series are doing pretty well.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

sigh...(puts hand up) I could vouch for that. Yaoi 4 evar! (insert fangirl yell)

You think i would really act that way about yaoi! although i do admit its hot
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Patachu wrote:

sigh...(puts hand up) I could vouch for that. Yaoi 4 evar! (insert fangirl yell)

You think i would really act that way about yaoi! although i do admit its hot

I second that Yaoi rocks!!! Though if they re-released sailor moon I would still love it, and my Yaoi too.

Another magical girl series I always loved was wedding peach, I know a cheap Sailor Moon knock off but there is just something about it. I was slightly disappointed to see that it isnt that popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3