• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Reveals Voice Guests Mamiko Noto, Tomokazu Seki

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
The Seventh Son wrote:
ooooh crap,otakon is gonna be swarmed with fangirls. the voice of bishounen Kyo from FB....you can see what im aiming at. im not going, but im just reminding you guys

now if someone like Megumi Hayashibara came, then there would HAVE to be an attendance cap.

Tomokazu Seki is pretty popular on this side of the Pacific & not just in titles for fangirls. He's been in the Star Ocean Ex anime, as well as Area 88 TV(which I thought was more guy territory), One Piece(Lucci) & Melody of Oblivion(ANN listed about 180 roles for him last I checked). Oh, yeah, he was the cos-play otaku in Genshiken. He plays a lot of leads, so for sheer number of roles Ryotaro Okiayu has pulled out ahead, but Seki is in a lot of shonen titles.

Shocked HE WAS TANAKA!?!?!?! SWEET!
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think Megumi is on every cons wishlist Very Happy here is a small comic about Megumis trip to america:
http://www.nnanime.com/megumi-toon/mgbk042.html
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
My daughter likes Tomokazu Seki & I like Takehito Koyasu, so it seems as though we have well over half the aniime ever made covered on needing to see or having seen. Seki's is easier since he does tend to play main roles vs 1 ep shots Koyasu pops up in a lot.

But really, there are lots of great VA's. Some of the big names like Takahiro Sakarai & Shinichiro Miki actually come off pretty low-key (boring?) in interviews while other like Kappei Yamaguchi & Kazuki Yao are funny & interesting. Mr. Seki is usually pretty interesting in interviews so it should be good if he can make it out this year. I believe he was supposed to be at a couple cons last year but it didn't happen. I wish we could get some for Comic-con, but they mostly seem to line up manga artists.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
GUNDAM FIGHT!! READY.... GO!!!.... Now I actually might consider passing by Otakon. Unless Tomokazu Seki decides to pass by AnimeNEXT. That would be awesome.
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Mr. Seki is usually pretty interesting in interviews so it should be good if he can make it out this year.

I've been to his panels at Anime Expo when he attended two years in a row (and got his autograph, too), and he's a really great guy to meet in person. He's funny and interesting and obviously loves what he does. Smile
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
(And whoever asked about Megumi Hayashibara -- she's on my wish list too, along with Kappei Yamaguchi...)

I'm sure the Death Note fans would go nuts if they discover that Kappei Yamaguchi is going to attend an American convention.

Anyways, as I mentioned in the Otakon board, I'm definitely pleased to see Mamiko Noto as a Japanese guests (Nodoka Miyazaki is one of my favorite female characters in anime). I can't wait to see what other Japanese guests will be announced for Otakon.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I can not believe that you guys did not mention Kanon, specifically Kanon 2k6, as one of the series he was in. Rolling Eyes That's truly a sad thing guys.

As popular as Kanon is, his buddy role in Kanon is not as prominent as his main lead roles. In every anime listed in ANN's news piece, he plays the main male lead role.

He was in all versions of Kanon TV and I'm pretty sure he was in the voiced versions of the game too.

Air TV recently licensed and Clannad movie being advertised so there's more focus on Key products.

Role in Escaflowne or Saiunkoku Monogatari more popular than role in Kanon? Well, everyone has their own opinion. Wink

I'm glad he's coming. I hope that Otakon mentions Kanon on their website. Smile
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I can not believe that you guys did not mention Kanon, specifically Kanon 2k6, as one of the series he was in. Rolling Eyes That's truly a sad thing guys.

As popular as Kanon is, his buddy role in Kanon is not as prominent as his main lead roles. In every anime listed in ANN's news piece, he plays the main male lead role.

He was in all versions of Kanon TV and I'm pretty sure he was in the voiced versions of the game too.

Air TV recently licensed and Clannad movie being advertised so there's more focus on Key products.

Role in Escaflowne or Saiunkoku Monogatari more popular than role in Kanon? Well, everyone has their own opinion. Wink

Again, Tomokazu Seki's role in Kanon is not the main lead. If you want a list of his non-lead roles, here it is. Smile

In Escaflowne, Fruits Basket, Nodame Cantabile, and his latest anime Saiunkoku Monogatari 2nd Series, he plays the main male lead. That's the difference, popularity aside.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
I know that he is not the main lead in Kanon. You don't have to keep pointing that out. My arguement is that his supporting role in Kanon ( a huge franchise) is more popular currently than his primary role in Escaflowne ( an 11 year old TV series with a 7 year old movie with nothing new done) and should have had some mention.

I'm also an Escaflowne fan by the way.

I can understand wanting to appeal to the female fanbase and emphasizing those titles.

It's just an opinion.

I'll stop talking about this. It's a downer to do this in a thread that's suppose to talk of the joys of Otakon. Loads and loads of stuff to do. The Inner Harbor, Harborplace, Phillips Seafood Restraurant,..... I wish I could go. Crying or Very sad

It's more efficient to take it up with Otakon who was nice enough to mention Kanon. Thank you Otakon. Smile
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The quick bios are there to put the guest into familiar context -- not to be an exhaustive resume.

Every person who posts on this board clearly has access to Teh Intarwebs, and can look up the full list of an actor's roles by hitting IMDB and google pretty quickly, should they want to.

Kanon may be a "huge franchise" (among japanese hardcore fans), but it has no official releases in the US, whereas Escaflowne was a pretty big deal, with a cut US TV release, several DVD variations, and even a theatrical release. Kanon's just had a second TV series, and has had a handful of videogames, but they're far from mainstream titles.

Any anime that has been shown on US TV (whether edited or not) has about 20 times the visibility of any anime that got an official US DVD released. The number of people who would know any anime that *isn't* available via TV or Suncoast/BestBuy type stores is even smaller -- and most of them don't need to be told who Seki or Noto are.

As a brief news headline, or even as a guest bio, you simply can't include everything.

PS: Next time you come to Baltimore, hit the Otakon forums and ask around -- I would hate to send someone to Phillips, which is a crappy tourist trap, when there are dozens of far better places to eat.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The great thing about Tomokazu Seki's wide-ranging repertoire is that there are so many works to choose from. If people list the popular franchises in which he happens to have a secondary role, that would include Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, Chobits, Last Exile, GTO, Card Captor Sakura, Fushigi Yūgi, Kanon, and more. A list could fill the entire front page and still not be complete. That's what the Encyclopedia is for.

Judging by the audience reactions at his event appearances, the roles listed in the news piece include the main attendee draws for Seki. It's pretty much the same story in Japan and abroad—the main differences being that his first major lead role (Domon in G Gundam) has much more attention in Japan, and his supporting roles in Sakura and Fushigi Yūgi have more attention outside Japan. In Japan or outside Japan, he can energize a huge room and he's a welcome, gracious convention guest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2