• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incorrect credits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
Milk wrote:
I told 2channellers already -but they are not easily convinced and now asking that if the DVD companies have really made such mistakes-they don't believe it - they want to know which companies DVDs' have had such wrong lists.

English DVD credits for Japanese staff are often full of errors. Some I've seen so many errors I've completely given up on submitting from them into the encyclopedia... Look here for just a few examples. I would like it if companies to put more effort into these, but I'd guess it's not really high on their priority list, as not really much people pay attention to them...
Milk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your replis.

I have a suggestion that until those wrong lists are fixed or if they can not be fixed easily-because you can not find the right staff names or works-how about excluding those anime from the encyclopaedia? because what 2cnnellers can't stand the most is ANN has still exposed those wrong imformation to the world and make over-sea fans belieave anime has been maimly made by those subcontracted companies or people but not by Japanese staffs who did real main works. They think it's not respectable.
wao

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad this whole tirade is cooling down, I actually followed it at 2ch the whole time and it was really quite ridiculous and embarassing for both sides. For all the mistakes that are in the Encyclopedia, it is sad that absolutely no comment is made about entries that are fully correct (like the Ghibli movies ones). Quite a number of us spend hours making sure we enter proper information...

I think in the cases where things are mis-labeled, like not being able to find the right names and where other uses have mistakenly labeled credits, the solution is not to exclude the anime from the encyclopedia because there are many other things on the entry that are useful, such as links and voice actors' names. It will also bring extra problems for the staff because people will start asking "where is so and so anime series" and submit requests to add it in the encyclopedia.

It just can't be helped that there aren't enough people able to work on the myriad of errors - and what serious 2chers could help instead of flaming and complaining (as per normal) is, possibly, to come here and point them out.

Considering said attitude, I am extremely impressed by your effort and courage to come here and post regardless of your language abilities, Milk. This shows that at least you are genuinely interested in making the situation better and not out just to be 煽り or 厨. I'm not a staff member but thank you so much.

I think if it hasn't already been done (I'm out of the loop and haven't been active recently... and it sucks because I haven't finished Blood+ and Eureka 7 credits from so long ago -_- not to mention so many others like BKI and Chevalier and Utena...), there should just be some sort of must-read guide to translating credits where there is one and just ONE translation to each Japanese credit, so that there is no more confusion in future. Something like that link posted some time back with a translation and explanation of the various roles.

A drop-down list where people pick the roles probably wouldn't work because it would just cause confusion, although technically I think people who don't know what Key Animation means shouldn't be adding the credits in anyway... But maybe there's an allowance in the submitting system that will automatically change all subsequent attempted entries of "Original Picture" into "Key Animation"? And if people type in "Animation" they have to pick either "Key Animation", "2nd Key Animation" or "In-between Animation" to make it extremely clear.

EDIT: I think one of the suggestions raised - to put a warning for every entry saying "The information here may not be completely reliable" is also a good idea. It's about time this was admitted and made clear to people; yes it's obvious this is a user-edited database but even Wikipedia has a disclaimer so I think it wouldn't hurt to add it in.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:

EDIT: I think one of the suggestions raised - to put a warning for every entry saying "The information here may not be completely reliable" is also a good idea. It's about time this was admitted and made clear to people; yes it's obvious this is a user-edited database but even Wikipedia has a disclaimer so I think it wouldn't hurt to add it in.

I think I've been quite surprised at the number of people on other message boards who don't seem to be aware that ANN is user-edited and can make mistakes.

The thing that particularly bothers me is new roles appearing in series that air on Cartoon Network. A lot of times people go by voice recognition on these and without trying to verify with other people on actors they might not be as familiar with. Then the guesses of those people get entered into ANN, and everyone seems to accept it as the truth. For instance, one time I saw someone enter Tristan MacAvery into Eureka Seven, which is quite ridiculous.

The problem with this is, when later a more accurate voice match might be found, the older entry may have lingered around for a while and already been accepted as truth by some. I have no problem with picking out roles by voice recognition -- it's the only way it can be done with some titles due to poor credits, but people need to be careful entering them. And readers need to be aware that names listed may not be accurate in these situations.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:
I think if it hasn't already been done (I'm out of the loop and haven't been active recently... and it sucks because I haven't finished Blood+ and Eureka 7 credits from so long ago -_- not to mention so many others like BKI and Chevalier and Utena...), there should just be some sort of must-read guide to translating credits where there is one and just ONE translation to each Japanese credit, so that there is no more confusion in future. Something like that link posted some time back with a translation and explanation of the various roles.

A drop-down list where people pick the roles probably wouldn't work because it would just cause confusion, although technically I think people who don't know what Key Animation means shouldn't be adding the credits in anyway... But maybe there's an allowance in the submitting system that will automatically change all subsequent attempted entries of "Original Picture" into "Key Animation"? And if people type in "Animation" they have to pick either "Key Animation", "2nd Key Animation" or "In-between Animation" to make it extremely clear.

Areaseven started one in this very thread here, xuebaochai brought it up here, and the Duplicate Tasks thread is also applicable (and possibly more apropos for this discussion). As noted by areaseven above, 2channers posted for him

• AIC's Introduction of anime production
• Sunrise's The Making of Animation (Take-01)

(both incomplete). While I posted (again)

• Jan Scott-Frasier's Anime Job Titles (which unfortunately leaves out the writing tasks, among a few others. It also uses images, rather than the actual kanji/kana, and so is not as searchable as it might be).

From Ms. Scott-Frasier's work I have extracted/expanded:

• 原作 (gensaku—"original work"): original creator

• シリーズ構成 (shiriizu kousei—"series configuration"): Series composition / scenario

• 脚本 (kyakuhon—"scenario"): screenwriter/script

• 演出 (enshutsu—"production (e.g. play) / direction"): [episode] animation director or (live action:) technical director

• キャラクター原案 (kyarakutaa genan—"character original draft"): "Original Character Design" / "Character Conceptual Design"

• キャラクターデザイナー ("kyarakutaa dezainaa"): character designer

• 作画監督 (sakuga kantoku ("sakkan")—"drawing pictures / taking photographs" "supervision / control / superintendence"): animation supervisor

• 原画 (genga—"original picture"): key animator

• 動画 (douga—"motion picture" / "moving image"): inbetween animator

• プロデューサー ("purodeyuusaa"): producer

• 絵コンテ (e conte—"picture continuity"): storyboard

Lastly, I recall reading recently on-line(? Possibly in a DVD extra) an interview (with Mikimoto? someone who is well known), in which the interviewee stated that the difference between original character design and character design (or something very similar) was the creation of the design, and the creation of the design and cleaning it up for animation.

I'm very much in favor of creating such a list, and, say, appending it as part of the Lexicon.
Milk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm really glad this whole tirade is cooling down, I actually followed it at 2ch the whole time and it was really quite ridiculous and embarassing for both sides. For all the mistakes that are in the Encyclopedia, it is sad that absolutely no comment is made about entries that are fully correct (like the Ghibli movies ones). Quite a number of us spend hours making sure we enter proper information...

I think in the cases where things are mis-labeled, like not being able to find the right names and where other uses have mistakenly labeled credits, the solution is not to exclude the anime from the encyclopedia because there are many other things on the entry that are useful, such as links and voice actors' names. It will also bring extra problems for the staff because people will start asking "where is so and so anime series" and submit requests to add it in the encyclopedia.

Hi, woa-san, you are from other anime message boards aren't you? I knew you had watched us 2channeleers and told other people what Japanese otakus-2channellers-were thinking about oversea fans. I also like your comments on the Japanese Otaku Lingo thread and I was so impressed by your knowledge and ability of Japanese.

Quote:
Considering said attitude, I am extremely impressed by your effort and courage to come here and post regardless of your language abilities, Milk. This shows that at least you are genuinely interested in making the situation better and not out just to be 煽り or 厨. I'm not a staff member but thank you so much.

I just didn't want both people misunderstanding each other and at the same time I knew why 2channellers were so irritated by those staff lists.

Quote:
It just can't be helped that there aren't enough people able to work on the myriad of errors - and what serious 2chers could help instead of flaming and complaining (as per normal) is, possibly, to come here and point them out.

The ploblem is most of them don't understand English well.

Quote:

I think that's what Japanese otakus really want because key-animation(原画) and between-animation(動画) are completely defferent but some credits of staff lists show like both are the same. Actually I knew a person who was doing between work when she was in high school. She said that twenty years ago you could easily find those painting jobs of anime on the magazines in Japan and she was doing between works for some anime such as the movie Cobra and God-Mars TV animation. I don't know how she could find the job(not painting work but between work) but she was only a high schooler at that time. It means doing key-animetion needs much more professional skills than between-animation.

Quote:

I hope doing things like that will work.
wao

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quote
Hi. Yes, I am (from another board). And I remember that thread and it's an awful memory because I did some extremely stupid things that I realise were quite dumb right now, but let's just put whatever I know about 2ch culture as ROMing too much... I should never like to remember that debacle again.

---

I know most of them don't understand English well, but I should think some of us here at least would try to understand them if they posted machine translations. And I know *some* of them do understand a basic level at least, but well. Honestly it'd be the best if this board allowed Japanese posting but I don't see the administrators allowing that happening at all...

And I see what you mean. It is true that like what someone said, if you just list the "non-main" roles by alphabetical order then it makes little sense in terms of displaying the importance of various roles. It's sort of disrespectful to the animators, isn't it... Yes, key animation requires much more skill and time than the menial job of painting/colouring cels. But I guess this is one other thing that must be left to the administrators?

From what I gather they are intending to release a new version of the Encyclopedia "software"/"framework" in a few weeks' time or so, incorporating all the changes mentioned in this thread that have been approved by the administrators. I'm also interested in hearing if whether the ordering of "minor" roles will be considered as well.

So to sum up the 2ch demands regarding improvements made to the database, am I right to say it is:

1. Consistently correct/standardized translation of roles. (i.e. a proper format)
2. Appropriately list roles in order of general importance (as per actual staff credits)
3. Include a disclaimer stating the possible inaccuracy of the titles.

Sounds reasonable to me, really. One continuing drawback is that you can't see the episode credits separated by episode - which is extremely handy if people want to know who did a particular episode of an anime (and is something I like to bring to peoples' attention), but I figure that would require an extensive rework of the encyclopedia design and is unlikely to happen any time soon. Especially since this actually doesn't apply to a large number of titles which don't have information in such detail.

Thank you once again for the reply.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
wao wrote:
So to sum up the 2ch demands regarding improvements made to the database, am I right to say it is:

1. Consistently correct/standardized translation of roles. (i.e. a proper format)

This puts some additional pressure on Dan who stated in the Duplicate companies treat that he would like to stick to the "exact wording that was used in the official credits". Even if it is wrong ?
Probably it's useful to keep the officially given task title for non-Japanese tasks, but it's becoming a mess with all those different translations from Japanese characters.
Suggestion : clean up the existing tasks, and set up a system that (automatically) send a request for confirmation/approval from ANN staff (who obviously should be able to read and understand kanji) before a new task can be entered.

Besides, I already suggested the idea to make the duplicate tasks topic (and some addition I made in a follow-up topic) sticky, just like the duplicate companies and duplicate persons treat. Dan, can you please reconsider ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Milk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

• Jan Scott-Frasier's Anime Job Titles (which unfortunately leaves out the writing tasks, among a few others. It also uses images, rather than the actual kanji/kana, and so is not as searchable as it might be).

From Ms. Scott-Frasier's work I have extracted/expanded:

• 原作 (gensaku—"original work"): original creator

• シリーズ構成 (shiriizu kousei—"series configuration"): Series composition / scenario

• 脚本 (kyakuhon—"scenario"): screenwriter/script

• 演出 (enshutsu—"production (e.g. play) / direction"): [episode] animation director or (live action:) technical director

• キャラクター原案 (kyarakutaa genan—"character original draft"): "Original Character Design" / "Character Conceptual Design"

• キャラクターデザイナー ("kyarakutaa dezainaa"): character designer

• 作画監督 (sakuga kantoku ("sakkan")—"drawing pictures / taking photographs" "supervision / control / superintendence"): animation supervisor

• 原画 (genga—"original picture"): key animator

• 動画 (douga—"motion picture" / "moving image"): inbetween animator

• プロデューサー ("purodeyuusaa"): producer

• 絵コンテ (e conte—"picture continuity"): storyboard

I think Ms.Scott-Fraiser's translating credits is good to use for both sides I actually mentioned his translating credits on 2ch thread(anonymously) and their reactions were not bad.

Quote:
Lastly, I recall reading recently on-line(? Possibly in a DVD extra) an interview (with Mikimoto? someone who is well known), in which the interviewee stated that the difference between original character design and character design (or something very similar) was the creation of the design, and the creation of the design and cleaning it up for animation.

Mikimoto-san is a famous character designer who did original Macross and Macross7.

Quote:
I'm very much in favor of creating such a list, and, say, appending it as part of the Lexicon.

Thank you for the helpful imformation above I also think it's time to do something to create avoiding confonfusion in future between Japanese and oversea-fans.(sorry, if it's hard to understan what I'm saying....)
Milk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know most of them don't understand English well, but I should think some of us here at least would try to understand them if they posted machine translations. And I know *some* of them do understand a basic level at least, but well. Honestly it'd be the best if this board allowed Japanese posting but I don't see the administrators allowing that happening at all...

Yes, the ploblem is they can not do anything if they have to use English and even if they can read writing is much more difficult(look at my case Sad )

Quote:

And I see what you mean. It is true that like what someone said, if you just list the "non-main" roles by alphabetical order then it makes little sense in terms of displaying the importance of various roles. It's sort of disrespectful to the animators, isn't it... Yes, key animation requires much more skill and time than the menial job of painting/colouring cels. But I guess this is one other thing that must be left to the administrators?

This is another problem that many Japanese okakus actually think taht not all but someone intentionally doing that. I mean not only alphabetical order but excliuding Japanese staff names from credits and make it like subcontracted people are the ones who made those anime. I know some people want to think they are the ones who make anime and I see those kinds of comments
often.
They asked me that if it was the DVD companies' fault then why there were no Japanese animaters'names on Macross Plus's credits. I think if you had watched 2ch you would have known why they are so sensitive abot it but it's not suitable for bring the subject here. Well, so I mean I think it shouldn't be alphabetical order.(sorry I'm repeatedly saying the sameting but I want everyone to know what 2channller are thinking)

Quote:
From what I gather they are intending to release a new version of the Encyclopedia "software"/"framework" in a few weeks' time or so, incorporating all the changes mentioned in this thread that have been approved by the administrators. I'm also interested in hearing if whether the ordering of "minor" roles will be considered as well.

2. Appropriately list roles in order of general importance (as per actual staff credits)
3. Include a disclaimer stating the possible inaccuracy of the titles.

Sounds reasonable to me, really. One continuing drawback is that you can't see the episode credits separated by episode - which is extremely handy if people want to know who did a particular episode of an anime (and is something I like to bring to peoples' attention), but I figure that would require an extensive rework of the encyclopedia design and is unlikely to happen any time soon. Especially since this actually doesn't apply to a large number of titles which don't have information in such detail.

Thank you once again for the reply.

Thank you for the big help it is really hard for me to put things together because of my lack of English ability.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
I've kept quiet longer than I should have, so here is a grab-bag of responses to the various questions raised here:

At the root of all this is an unfortunate situation:
* Japanese fans have access to the best info but cannot add it the the encyclopedia because the interface is in english;
* American fans can use the interface but cannot read Japanese, and thus have to rely on often imperfect second-hand sources;
* Only a few people here at ANN have the English+Japanese skills to bridge the gap.
One consequence is that english-speaking fans who look at the Japanese credits cannot understand the Japanese animators' names which are written in kanji. But they can understand the Korean animators' names because those are often written in romaji, so they add those names into the Encyclopedia. We will not remove the Korean animators' names because we do not believe censorship is the solution. The solution is simply to add the missing animators' names and, where possible, change the ambiguous "animation" to either "in-between animation" or "key animation". We would be grateful if 2channelers could provide missing information and error reports, but we understand that it may be difficult since the interface is in english.

In the encyclopedia, the term "animation" can refer to either in-between animation or key animation or both. It is an ambiguous term but sometimes that is the best information available to us. Even if we don't know if someone was responsible for key or in-between, it is still useful to know that he was an animator, so I will not restrict the ability to add staff with the simple task "animation". You can interpret the task "animation" as meaning "either key or in-between animation, we don't know exactly which".

We already have a system where some tasks are automatically changed to another task, but we usually reserve that for fixing spelling mistakes or alternative spelling. For example, the following are all converted to "Director":
- Dir
- Directed
- Directed by
- Directeor
- Directeur
- Direction
- Diretor
- 監督
It's a little-known feature but you can enter Japanese credits directly in the Encyclopedia; some tasks will be recognized and converted, and if the kanji name has been added for a person, that name will be converted too.

But language being what it is, we can't go very far beyond simple corrections. Japanese word A might be translated into English as either X or Y, but X might actually be a translation of either A or B. For example, it is my understanding -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- that if 原画(genga) and 動画(douga) are both present in a project they can be translated as key and in-between animation but older projects only have 動画(douga) which should then be translated as just "animation". These convoluted relationships make automatic language handling very difficult, as anyone can easily see from the quality of machine translations.

Listing all roles in order of importance would be a titanic task with little to no benefits.
1. Different titles have their credits in different orders, so there is no single "absolute order"
2. There are a lot of different tasks in our database (4522, to be exact); figuring out a global ordering scheme would be a major endeavor
3. Ordering each title individually according to the credits would also be a major time sink; I'd rather spend time on more useful things
4. It's easier to find information in a straightforward alphabetical listing than in an ad-hoc "importance order"

There's already too much work that has to be done by staff; I don't want to add more burden like checking if task names are valid or unique or whatnot. The desire to standardize is normal but I see no point to standardize just for the sake of standardization. Even if 動画(douga) is translated in different ways, the different translations usually convey the same general meaning of what the person's work was. And that's good enough for now.

I have previously stated that I want to stick to the exact wording used in the official credits. I still believe that but Japanese credits should be considered more official than english credits. If we can agree on certain iron-rule translations, we can use those instead of the official English translation, but do keep in mind that standardization is a distant concern compared to correctness and completeness. This also implies that there is no reason to stick to *any* credit list if it contains errors or ambiguities, or if it's missing information.

We are planning improvements to the Encyclopedia in the near future, and by that I don't mean "in a few weeks" but rather "around this summer". I'm not *that* much of a super-programmer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Milk wrote:
Quote:

Mikimoto-san is a famous character designer who did original Macross and Macross7.

Oh, I know who he is (I love his work), but I'm not certain that it was him who was being interviewed—my memory is imperfect. ^_^;
Milk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We will not remove the Korean animators' names because we do not believe censorship is the solution. The solution is simply to add the missing animators' names and, where possible, change the ambiguous "animation" to either "in-between animation" or "key animation".

Don't get me wrong I never asked ANN to remove Korean animators's names.

Quote:
The solution is simply to add the missing animators' names and, where possible, change the ambiguous "animation" to either "in-between animation" or "key animation".

Yes. that's what they want and if you could fix those anime's satff lists I would appreciate.

Metropolis (movie)
anime#176
Tenjho Tenge: Ultimate Fight (OAV)
anime#4817

Quote:
In the encyclopedia, the term "animation" can refer to either in-between animation or key animation or both. It is an ambiguous term but sometimes that is the best information available to us. Even if we don't know if someone was responsible for key or in-between, it is still useful to know that he was an animator, so I will not restrict the ability to add staff with the simple task "animation". You can interpret the task "animation" as meaning "either key or in-between animation, we don't know exactly which".

I know the term animation is a convenient word but it has caused the problem between ANN and Japanese Otakus and it started from here,so please do not make little of the fifference.

Quote:
that if 原画(genga) and 動画(douga) are both present in a project they can be translated as key and in-between animation but older projects only have 動画(douga) which should then be translated as just "animation". These convoluted relationships make automatic language handling very difficult, as anyone can easily see from the quality of machine translations.

As far as I remember there were always the term both 原画(genga) and 動画(douga) on anime credits so I don't think it's present project. I just wonder if there are no difference between key-animation and between animation in other countries or key animaters also do between animation? that's why it's confusing?

Quote:
Listing all roles in order of importance would be a titanic task with little to no benefits.
1. Different titles have their credits in different orders, so there is no single "absolute order"
2. There are a lot of different tasks in our database (4522, to be exact); figuring out a global ordering scheme would be a major endeavor
3. Ordering each title individually according to the credits would also be a major time sink; I'd rather spend time on more useful things
4. It's easier to find information in a straightforward alphabetical listing than in an ad-hoc "importance order"

There's already too much work that has to be done by staff; I don't want to add more burden like checking if task names are valid or unique or whatnot. The desire to standardize is normal but I see no point to standardize just for the sake of standardization. Even if 動画(douga) is translated in different ways, the different translations usually convey the same general meaning of what the person's work was. And that's good enough for now.

I have previously stated that I want to stick to the exact wording used in the official credits. I still believe that but Japanese credits should be considered more official than english credits. If we can agree on certain iron-rule translations, we can use those instead of the official English translation, but do keep in mind that standardization is a distant concern compared to correctness and completeness. This also implies that there is no reason to stick to *any* credit list if it contains errors or ambiguities, or if it's missing information.

We are planning improvements to the Encyclopedia in the near future, and by that I don't mean "in a few weeks" but rather "around this summer". I'm not *that* much of a super-programmer.

What I see now is there are too much work to do for you right now so what I can say is to put a warning like wao-san said "The information here may not be completely reliable" to every entry.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
For reference, Nihonjoe on Wikipedia started compiling a list of terms and credits which is now on Wiktionary at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Glossary:Japanese_film_credit_terms
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
For reference, Nihonjoe on Wikipedia started compiling a list of terms and credits which is now on Wiktionary at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Glossary:Japanese_film_credit_terms

Noted—thank you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5