• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - February 10th - February 16th

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
TranquilSlogan wrote:

In closing there is nothing to debate really. Both Bebop and Champloo have their good qualities and in the end it is a matter of taste to decide which one is the better of the two. I will always have a place in my heart for Bebop and its characters but Champloo is also one of those shows that you can go back to again and again purely based on its magnetic being and likeability.

I have to agree with this. I think they are both about evenly matched in pretty much every way. If it comes down to taste though, Cowboy Bebop has points in the music department since I love jazz and hate hip-hop. Although Samurai Champloo has points with me in another area over Bebop because Champloo is about samurai, and Bebop is one of those sci-fi bounty hunter series.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
DKong wrote:
Ragebot wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
Yoko Kanno, why can't you impress me?

Maybe it's just because you have bad taste in music? Razz
Or he/she doesn't like jazz...
That's probably it. I seem to like the kind of music that has more pulse to it... which is probably why I've been voting for Kajuira (sp?) this whole time. But just to add fuel to this fire Nobuo Uematsu destroys both of them!

You can't forget how many awesome and memorable compositions Koji Kondo has come up with over the years!
Eh, sure, but his recent efforts have me thinking otherwise. A Link to the Past was the only one that I think he really got right.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
Pokemon
(Cartoon Network)
Saturday February 10 9:30am - Episode 463 "Gathering the Gang of Four"

Pokemon battles are a thing of pride, beauty, and numerous merchandising opportunities, so Ash challenges Brandon for a four-against-four Pokemon rematch.

So, what did they take, and did they return it after you not only stuck Pokemon in the main section, but giving a straight synopsis with no jokes?

Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
... a whole long dissertation, see page 1 if you missed it ...

Yup. Sign & Legend were good, and one of these days I will have to track down copies of V2-4 of the game to at least watch Liminality. Roots, why can't you be as good as ANY other .hack// property (novels, manga, DVDs?) I greatly regret missing the first two episodes, so can we start making sense? Mysterious confusing is good, pacing confusing is not so much.

Oh, and there were a lot of cat-inspired character designs, which is always a plus in my book (especially Naobi's sort of panther design)! Anime catgrin

Forgiven due to the name, but nekomania to close an impassioned defense? To each their own, I tend to use Tabby-heavy scenes to refill my drink.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

... a whole long dissertation, see page 1 if you missed it ...

Whoa, I wrote a dissertation? Cool! Cool Actually, it seems more like a proposal for a dissertation than an actual dissertation, though I suppose in the case of an Internet forum, it could very well be considered a short dissertation. Very Happy

bglassbrook wrote:
I greatly regret missing the first two episodes, so can we start making sense? Mysterious confusing is good, pacing confusing is not so much.

Oh, that's always a bummer to miss episodes from a series, especially the beginning of the series. Hopefully, if you did see those episodes, it would make more sense. The cut scenes do make the pacing confusing at times. There were times when I thought it was cutting to a commercial break, but it surprised me by cutting to a scene I didn't really expect. And "mysterious confusing" is very good and fun, especially for people who like puzzles and mysteries, I think (though on one level, all stories are mysteries, but that's another story). The scene that started to really confuse me was in the last episode (episode 14) and involved spoiler[Pi and Yata (formerly Ender and Naobi) when they were talking about some sort of mysterious program or something that was inside of Ovan's player character.] I suppose I'll have to wait patiently for more clarification on that mystery.
bglassbrook wrote:

Oh, and there were a lot of cat-inspired character designs, which is always a plus in my book (especially Naobi's sort of panther design)! Anime catgrin

Forgiven due to the name, but nekomania to close an impassioned defense? To each their own, I tend to use Tabby-heavy scenes to refill my drink.

Nya, hah, hah, hah! You caught me with my paws up! Anime catgrin I've never seen the term "nekomania" before. Actually, first of all, I don't think nekomania is the correct term for me, because that seems like something that more aptly describes people who really love catgirls/boys and kawaii anime/manga cats in general. Me, I'm just your regular average ailurophile ("cat lover" -- hmm, interesting how "ai" is in there, even though the "love" part actually comes from "phile" Wink ). And, believe me, my love of cats is nothing new. I've loved them since I can remember, way back when I was a little kid. So, it's not just anime/manga cat-related stuff that I think is cute, awesome, etc.

Second--Thank you for being kind enough to describe my post as an "impassioned defense." That's an awesome little description. It's very enjoyable to translate feelings into writing and I'm happy if those feelings are coming through in my writing.

Third--I did not intend for my last line to weaken the strength of my defense, so I apologize for those people who may have been disappointed by its playful nature. I thought of it more as a silly afterthought or postscript to sort of lighten the mood after the detailed defense. Next time, I think that I shall either write "p.s." before such a line or, for the sake of the argument, defense, etc., just not write such a line at all.

Fourth--I wasn't specifically thinking of Tabby. I was thinking of the characters of Naobi, Tabby, Phyllo and their character types within "The World R:2," even though Naobi and Phyllo's character types can also be dog-like. (There was also that monkey guy, but I'm not sure what his character type was). Anyways, I feel bad for Tabby. I think a lot of .hack fans find her annoying, but so far I'm mainly focused on the fact that I think she's a very lonely person in the real world, regardless of her online personality.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
OK, now I'm really sick of the skipping episodes. I'm unable to watch MAR and Prince of tennis on the Jetstream, So I can't catch up. CN, why do you always ruin a good thing?

I agree...
I still watch because it has to be a really bad anime I won't watch (One Piece) but I am upset about it. Why would they skip episodes like that? It's baffling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2