• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Acquires RWBY Series, Will Explore Production of New Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I was honestly never concerned for the show, I knew someone would pick it up, but Viz Media was not on my bingo card.

IMO, I doubt they'll do a reboot, especially since they're going out of their way to keep the voice actors and some of the crew.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I am cautiously optimistic.

It would be nice if Viz gave them a season to finish the story, then reboot in a couple years.
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
animaters wrote:

100%, no reboot with modernization nonsense. remake it with some tweaks here and there and voila.*chief kiss*
You talk like RWBY is some super old show when it came out in 2012.

I thought the series came out in 2013 (11 years ago).
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:20 am Reply with quote
Definitely great to hear but honestly it seemed almost certain someone would grab it. I was expecting Crunchyroll so Viz is a surprise. I mean Viz is good too but you don't see them grabbing new shows very often.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:06 am Reply with quote
Even if we think 2012 is a long time ago, season 9 of RWBY aired from February 2023 and completed in April 2023, just over a year ago. The show seemed like it only had 1 more season in it.

If Viz did in fact bring on the previous cast and finish the series, it would be great, but I'm not sure if this is simply a pipe dream at this point. Having rights is quite different from having a team to create a work.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
I think the best way to handle this would be to fund one more season to finish the current story and provide closure for the current fans. Then reboot in a few years to start fresh.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:50 pm Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
I think the best way to handle this would be to fund one more season to finish the current story and provide closure for the current fans. Then reboot in a few years to start fresh.

yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. At least finish off the story before rebooting everything.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:45 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
dsfjr1190 wrote:
They should do a total reboot. New writers, new actors, everything.

No, no they shouldn't

Yes, they should. Minus the new actors. Keep all the actors, but the show would benefit greatly from new writers and a new direction.
Aeden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
animaters wrote:

100%, no reboot with modernization nonsense. remake it with some tweaks here and there and voila.*chief kiss*
You talk like RWBY is some super old show when it came out in 2012.

To be fair, 2024 has a completely different political and social climate from 2012.

Localization teams are being called out left and right for unnecessarily inserting identity politics instead of delivering content as it was intended.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:11 pm Reply with quote
As much as it will probably shock most of the people in this thread to learn, RWBY actually still has a very large fanbase that wants the show to continue in its current iteration. And with Kerry already confirmed to still be at the head (and Barb in the announcement video alongside him), it is extremely unlikely that they will be rebooting things (source: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/rwby-finds-a-new-home). The fact that their Q & A is mostly "stay tuned for updates" is because this deal is very new (Rooster Teeth shut down in the middle of May, that's less than 2 months ago). These things take time to set-up, especially when the entire IP has been transferred to a completely different company that has different distribution relationships that need to be negotiated.

I just hope this news means Lindsay Jones can start Vtubing as Ruby again soon. It was really sad when they had to stop.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:16 pm Reply with quote
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels wrote:
As much as it will probably shock most of the people in this thread to learn, RWBY actually still has a very large fanbase that wants the show to continue in its current iteration

raises hand

Honestly, it feels like the biggest thing the franchise needs is just some competent production management. RoosterTeeth seemed to hemorrhage money for no apparent reason; it's hard to believe it can't be produced at about the same quality as before while turning a profit.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:30 pm Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:
That's 12 years ago my dude, to me that's a frickin lot of time

No, 12 years is not along time ago. It is only a long time ago if you are 15, or may be 20. But 12 years is like noting at all for the bulk majority of of people. Razz

Quote:
To be fair, 2024 has a completely different political and social climate from 2012.

Localization teams are being called out left and right for unnecessarily inserting identity politics instead of delivering content as it was intended.

Yeah, um, no. It's not. Much of what was talked about today was then. It was 2012, not 1982.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Aeden wrote:

So now we get to what people are really complaining about. Fictional queer characters that don't even exist yet. Nvm the current RWBY already has a canon lesbian couple so I think you're in the wrong fandom. Rolling Eyes And queer characters existed in TV shows in 2012. You're acting like this is the difference between the 90s and now.
Essedess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
At least Rooster can't f*** this series anymore. spoiler[At least Penny's dead for good now and isn't coming back for round 4]. God, the writing became abysmal. I completely gave up on the writing during Cinder's backstory because of the introduction of the dumbest character in all of media: Rhodes. The man had, hands down, the DUMBEST plan I've ever read in any piece of media: spoiler[secretly train a child as while telling her to endure the daily torture her step-mother subjected to, in the hopes of.... OF WHAT, YOU DUMB MOTHERF*****?!!!! YOU'RE A HUNTSMAN, YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT! YOU HAVE AUTHORITY LIKE NO OTHER. Just [expletive] save her yourself, you useless piece of garbage!!!! And if you can't save her yourself, you can 100% get her the fudge out of there. You're basically a superhero, with super-power. CALL OZPIN, for fudge's sake. "James, one of my huntman tells me a child is being tortured in of of your Atlas hotels. Could you look into that for me, please?". Ironwood would have done it., they were still friends. BOOM, 85% of the problems in RWBY, solved.]. So yeah... almost everything bad happened because of [expletive] Rhodes.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Essedess wrote:
At least Rooster can't f*** this series anymore. At least Penny's dead for good now and isn't coming back for round 4. God, the writing became abysmal. I completely gave up on the writing during Cinder's backstory because of the introduction of the dumbest character in all of media: Rhodes. The man had, hands down, the DUMBEST plan I've ever read in any piece of media: spoiler[secretly train a child as while telling her to endure the daily torture her step-mother subjected to, in the hopes of.... OF WHAT, YOU DUMB MOTHERF*****?!!!! YOU'RE A HUNTSMAN, YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT! YOU HAVE AUTHORITY LIKE NO OTHER. Just [expletive] save her yourself, you useless piece of garbage!!!! And if you can't save her yourself, you can 100% get her the fudge out of there. You're basically a superhero, with super-power. CALL OZPIN, for fudge's sake. "James, one of my huntman tells me a child is being tortured in of of your Atlas hotels. Could you look into that for me, please?". Ironwood would have done it., they were still friends. BOOM, 85% of the problems in RWBY, solved.]. So yeah... almost everything bad happened because of [expletive] Rhodes.

I'm sorry. But you're reasoning makes no sense whatsoever.

As you said, they are their world's equivalent to superheroes. But here's something that you completely forget: Superheroes still follow the law. Yes, comic book superheroes are vigilantes, but they still never act as if they were above the law and help law enforcers.

But Huntsmen like Rhodes has a license to be a huntsmen. Meaning that he had to train for it in a school no different to having to earn a driver's license and has to follow the law. Just because he's a huntsmen doesn't mean that he can do whatever he wants. And just because he has connections doesn't mean that he and his connections can save everybody. Let's say that he did get in contact with James and Ozpin and they look into it. Why should they bother doing it? Ozpin and Ironwood have far more pressing matters, IE the fight against Selam, to care about a little girl whose being abused. And if they did try to save her it might still take a long time for them to actually do it. Most likely years. So Cinder would have to put up with the abuse even if Rhodes got in contact with Ironwood and Ozpin. And even then there's a case that they might not be be able to save her, especially if the stepmother has the legal rights to keep Cinder.

Man, can't believe I'm arguing legal stuff over a minor and unimportant character from an action fantasy series.

Also you're acting a little too passionately over this. It's just a minor character who existed in order to explain how Cinder became the way she is. Like, take a chill pill, pal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4