• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Salad Bowl of Eccentrics Anime Series Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:16 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Of course, Hinamatsuri was a great show, so failing to reach that level leaves a lot of territory. Salad Bowl was pretty good, I thought. A 7 out of ten for me instead of Hinamatsuri's 9 out of 10.

It was only after Salad Bowl moved in a slightly different direction when it began appealing to me. Livia's initial stint as an unhoused person lacked all the heart of Anzu's story in Hinamatsuri, for example.

Where I thought Salad Bowl exceled was when it indulged its farcical side. The entire reseller episode seemed like a barely disguised rant by the author, and I loved it. I agree the characterization wasn't as strong; which is probably why the emotional moments between Sara and Sousuke didn't tug at my heartstrings much.

That said, I rated Hinamatsuri an 8/10 versus Salad Bowl's 7/10. I still enjoyed the latter enough that I may pick up the novels at some point.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
I should note I consider a '7' to be quite a good score. I will say that, although it's not the most important thing in the world, but Hinamatsuri also looked quite a bit better than Salad Bowl. I still prefer the humor of Hinamatsuri, which obviously is entirely subjective, so for me it's a fairly easy win. Which again isn't to say it's not a pretty decent show.

Man, I'd love another season of Hinamatsuri. Still, we're getting a second season of Demon Lord Retry, so there's that.*

(*I think they could do a pretty good column on shows that nobody wanted a second season of but we still got one. Remember Fruits of Evolution? Yeesh.)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:43 am Reply with quote
The "less wild part" of the series still included that crazy Nobunaga bombshell Laughing
A shame this didn't get weekly reviews, because the wild swerves this show liked to take depending on what characters they chose to focus on were quite something. They earned the title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2