• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Nintendo Direct June 2024: New Age of Hype

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:56 pm Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
Jean-Karlo Lemus, When playing Tatsunoko vs Capcom, did you play as any of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman Aka Battle Of The Planets, G-Force or Eagle Riders in the US?

I must confess: I never managed to get a Wii (I was a very broke college student when it came out), so I never managed to play TvC on any significant level. Sometimes someone else would bring their Wii to college and they'd play a few rounds, I'd join in and button-mash as Tekkaman Blade. That was it. So sadly, I never got to play as any of the Gatchaman characters. Still--it was great that they gave us three of the Gatchaman (Ken, Joe and Jun) to play as. This is tangential, but I do own Sentai's complete Gatchaman boxed set (the one with all the Alex Ross art Anime smile ).

This is a side-note, but stuff like that is why TvC is so important: it's a great look at Japan's history of superheroes. A lot of characters like the Doronjo Gang, Gold Lightan and Casshern aren't as well-known in the US. The same way that something like MvC could get someone interested in the X-Men or Captain America, TvC could get someone really interested in the Time Bokan stuff--and we were getting Time Bokan anime as recently as 2016!

oilers2007 wrote:
Those kinds of cheap official releases are super convenient and nice for modding even if the base releases are atrocious. Meanwhile, Nintendo wants $59.99 + Tax for Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door's remaster when the HD texture packs mod has existed for over a decade now and is still being updated. And the original lacks all the censorship in the new release and even has patches to undo the localization of the original Gamecube release if people want an even more authentic experience.

You vastly overestimate how much the average player knows about emulation or modding, or how much effort they're willing to put into jumping through hoops in order to pull it off. A lot of FGC purists were pointing this out with the MvC news, since MvC has already been on Fightcade for years and years--but the layperson doesn't know about Fightcade. Emulation is great for preserving games, but the number-one thing that gets folks interested in a game is seeing it in a store somewhere. And once someone is into a game and maybe meets likeminded individuals on the Internet, then they might learn about, I dunno, playing the unofficial Ocarina of Time remake done in Unreal Engine or whatever.

Also: miss me with that "censorship" crap. Too many goons have been way too brave in bludgeoning that word. I promise you, your average Tom, Dick or Larry does not give a rat's ass that a chalk outline of a Toad was removed from the game, or that dialogue is slightly different, or that Vivian is now strongly implied to be trans. I'm urging you to find better friends and stop listening to outrage peddlers--there's no cheese at the end of that maze. Living in fear and anger of shadows on the wall is a miserable way to live your life.

Lord Geo wrote:

As for (Bandai) Namco, they obviously own a workprint of the Xevious film, since they showed some other footage of it (literally only around five seconds worth) as part of a video made to celebrate Xevious years later, but it's entirely possible that they don't own a finalized version of the film, only an unfinished workprint. Also, since Groove Corporation produced the film, Bandai Namco may not even have full rights to release the film themselves, since Groove technically owned those rights... and since Groove doesn't exist anymore that creates a potential licensing problem.

I cut out a lot of this, but thanks for the extra insight! Yeah, that stuff definitely makes sense. Holy crap, gotta hate it when a movie gets buried from all these kinds of shenanigans.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:04 pm Reply with quote
It definitely would be nice if Nintendo games were discounted like other companies, or at least if they brought back the Selects line...
Though perhaps if game prices didn't drop so quickly, we wouldn't be seeing so much job loss in the industry...
On the other hand, the negative side of me thinks that even with that, those jobs would still be gone and the profits would just go to the people running the company :/

Top Gun wrote:
I think Hyrule Warriros has to be one of the biggest offenders. "Buy the original game...now here's a bunch of extra content and DLC you can only get for the far technically-inferior 3DS version...but don't worry, we'll put all of that back into the Switch version so you can get that too!" Fantastic.

IIRC, much of that content could be gotten as DLC on the WiiU version and if you bought the 3DS version, you got a code for the characters for free for the WiiU version.
Nintendo definitely is on the high end of pricing for re-releases of games and you can argue that the Switch version of HW should be cheaper, but I can't agree that HW is a great example of this overall considering the time between releases and the platforms they were on.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I just want bigger discounts on Nintendo games that have sequels also on the switch. Like Botw or 3 houses should have more than 30% off after getting sequels/new series entries.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
I just want bigger discounts on Nintendo games that have sequels also on the switch. Like Botw or 3 houses should have more than 30% off after getting sequels/new series entries.

See, that I can agree with. It's a good way of giving folks a taste of a series in anticipation of the newest entry. I chafe at a lot of armchair pricing arguments because so much of it seems to boil down to "This game has a simplistic art style in spite of being a fully-featured game, it's not worth full-price" or "this game is a platformer, platformer should inherently be cheaper than other games".

I've also seen folks point out the lack of a "Greatest Hits" line; Nintendo used to have those. Heck, they had two of them--the "Player's Choice" line and the "Nintendo Selects" line. Nintendo dropped that for the Nintendo Switch... though to be fair, Sony doesn't seem to have listed any "Greatest Hits" versions of any of their PS5 titles. An indictment on Sony's weak library, or a display of Sony desperately trying to maintain its profit margin? You make the call.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Next, Capcom could bring the 2 90’s Dungeon & Dragons Side Scrollers!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

IIRC, much of that content could be gotten as DLC on the WiiU version and if you bought the 3DS version, you got a code for the characters for free for the WiiU version.
Nintendo definitely is on the high end of pricing for re-releases of games and you can argue that the Switch version of HW should be cheaper, but I can't agree that HW is a great example of this overall considering the time between releases and the platforms they were on.

You could get all of the characters and some other extras as DLC on the Wii U, but you didn't get the new epilogue story missions, or the multiple new adventure mode maps that for my money are the heart and soul of the game, among a few other features like fairy mode and character switching. That was probably dozens of hours' worth of content that for some odd reason never made it to the more powerful version of the game. I don't begrudge the Switch version for existing, since as you said it was some time after the original, but I do pity the theoretical fan who bought it on Wii U, then on the 3DS to get the new content, then saw the best version released on yet another console. That aside, Nintendo had a habit during that era of releasing 3DS "downgrades" of full console titles that got exclusive content added to them. The 3DS version of Donkey Kong Country Returns had a whole exclusive world on it, which sounds like it's being added to the Switch version.

FinalVentCard wrote:

See, that I can agree with. It's a good way of giving folks a taste of a series in anticipation of the newest entry. I chafe at a lot of armchair pricing arguments because so much of it seems to boil down to "This game has a simplistic art style in spite of being a fully-featured game, it's not worth full-price" or "this game is a platformer, platformer should inherently be cheaper than other games".

I'm never going to criticize the price of a game based solely on its looks or genre. I also won't do so based on playtime, as an annoying number of open-world/RPG fans seem to. I've played games that gave me more value in 10 hours than others have in over 100. Metroid Dread is a recent example that I saw some people complaining about, but I more than got my money's worth out of it. That being said, I do think there have been instances when games have missed their pricing target somewhat, pushing for a premium price point that they can't really live up to when they would have done better off if they were more affordable.

Quote:
I've also seen folks point out the lack of a "Greatest Hits" line; Nintendo used to have those. Heck, they had two of them--the "Player's Choice" line and the "Nintendo Selects" line. Nintendo dropped that for the Nintendo Switch... though to be fair, Sony doesn't seem to have listed any "Greatest Hits" versions of any of their PS5 titles. An indictment on Sony's weak library, or a display of Sony desperately trying to maintain its profit margin? You make the call.

Has the PS5 even received any truly exclusive titles that would apply here? I'm not asking this sarcastically, I genuinely can't think of any. At least until maybe the past year pretty much everything of note on it also got a PS4 version, because that was a console that people actually owned.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:48 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

You vastly overestimate how much the average player knows about emulation or modding, or how much effort they're willing to put into jumping through hoops in order to pull it off. A lot of FGC purists were pointing this out with the MvC news, since MvC has already been on Fightcade for years and years--but the layperson doesn't know about Fightcade. Emulation is great for preserving games, but the number-one thing that gets folks interested in a game is seeing it in a store somewhere. And once someone is into a game and maybe meets likeminded individuals on the Internet, then they might learn about, I dunno, playing the unofficial Ocarina of Time remake done in Unreal Engine or whatever.

Also: miss me with that "censorship" crap. Too many goons have been way too brave in bludgeoning that word. I promise you, your average Tom, Dick or Larry does not give a rat's ass that a chalk outline of a Toad was removed from the game, or that dialogue is slightly different, or that Vivian is now strongly implied to be trans. I'm urging you to find better friends and stop listening to outrage peddlers--there's no cheese at the end of that maze. Living in fear and anger of shadows on the wall is a miserable way to live your life

Pretty much. Most consumers aren't emulation knowledgeable, let alone literate. Plus a lot of people buying stuff like TTYD are newbies who were kids or maybe not even born when it first came out. Plus having actually, official copy will always trump emulation.

Anyway, to the summary at hand, I find it hilarious how not only can Keighley not get any Nintendo announcements, a lot of the most surprising third party announcements were at the Direct. E3 is gone and Nintendo won it anyway, especially when it came to their first party stable. So thoughts:

-Mario and Luigi: One of the reasons people acting like TTYD was the only RPG ever is they were ignoring Mario and Luigi the entire time which are funny as hell. Having an island as a ship is such a cool look.

-Dragon Quest: I was saying this elsewhere, but getting a remake of not only III but the entire Erdrick Trilogy is huge, this is like someone remaking the original Star Wars trilogy. It is THE cultural turning point for RPGs in Japan until FFVII came along. And Nintendo knows that considering how they got Horii himself to show up. Definitely gonna get this and 1&2 when they come out.

-MVC: Inevitable considering how big X-Men 97 blew up. Perfect cross promotion

-Zelda: I've seen people try to say this is lazy. Those people are wrong and stupid. Players are going to be so goofy with this as Zelda goes full gremlin mode

-Metroid: Looking good, interesting how the beam menu contains missiles instead. I also find it funny how the main villain of this is dependent on two games very little of the fanbase played.

Anyway, Nintendo is now on its eighth year of dense releases. Them consolidating their handheld and console divisions together has been insane
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:10 pm Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
Next, Capcom could bring the 2 90’s Dungeon & Dragons Side Scrollers!

If you mean Chronicles of Mystara...That's still being sold on Steam, and its still available for purchase on the PS3 console store (+ a unique port of it on the JP physical PS3 version) and the Xbox store (both console and web) as its backwards compatible. I assume you mean Alien VS Preadator (to which it could be a possibility now that Disney owns both IP's.) and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, right? (Although C&D's ownership is all over the place and probably harder to clear to get a modern release.)

But yeah, outside of the Direct being based. (MVC Collection, Ace Attorney Investigations Collection, and Metroid Prime 4 finally gets shown.) 2024 is a good year for games, lol.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote
That direct was excellent. MP4 was the highlight for me. I have to replay the trilogy before it comes out for the umpteenth time.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Pre-Orders available for Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection are up! Just ordered mine!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:42 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

No but I know if I wanted to get Miles Morales or either of the Horizon games it’ll still be cheaper in a sale than Fire Emblem Three Houses or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 which I bought at close to full price in 2022 despite the game being 3 years old by that point.

Quote:
Mario and Luigi: One of the reasons people acting like TTYD was the only RPG ever is they were ignoring Mario and Luigi the entire time which are funny as hell. Having an island as a ship is such a cool look.

Guess someone better tell all those people who loved the first and third games so much Nintendo remade them for the 3DS. Still flummoxed with Inside Story though since that was DS game being remade for the 3DS.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
MVC: Inevitable considering how big X-Men 97 blew up. Perfect cross promotion

While X-Men was the one that kickstarted this entire crossover series, I highly doubt this was done just as a cross-promotion for 97. This was something the FGC have been asking for a couple years now.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:57 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat, Yes, Tower of Doom and Shadows of Mysteria.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:09 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Quote:
MVC: Inevitable considering how big X-Men 97 blew up. Perfect cross promotion

While X-Men was the one that kickstarted this entire crossover series, I highly doubt this was done just as a cross-promotion for 97. This was something the FGC have been asking for a couple years now.

Yeah, the original #FreeMvC movement was a full two years ago. Assuming this was the result of that push, the timeline fits. The arcade machine came out last year, after all. I can see the rights wrangling for all this to take a solid two years. Meanwhile X-Men 97 only came out this past March--nowhere near the amount of time to cross the Ts and dot the i's for this kind of deal.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:54 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

Yeah, the original #FreeMvC movement was a full two years ago. Assuming this was the result of that push, the timeline fits. The arcade machine came out last year, after all. I can see the rights wrangling for all this to take a solid two years. Meanwhile X-Men 97 only came out this past March--nowhere near the amount of time to cross the Ts and dot the i's for this kind of deal.

Except X-Men '97 has been in development since 2019 and it was announced to be in production in 2021. Heck, they were already working on the second season in 2022. It's not hard to see that one party went to the other in those years and said "this would perfect synergy, let's do this!" Especially since a lot of the animation team were fans of the games
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3