• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - It's Anime Convention Hunting Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I know that many cons often forbid or frown on attendees recording/taping the PG-13 and lower VA panels. Understandable as a VA could end up saying or doing something that gets them in trouble. However, I wish it were the norm if said cons had a media team that would record some of said panels then put them on YT. For example, say a con had a total of 12 PG-13 or lower VA panels that year. An official media person/team uploading 3-4 of said panels on YT would be nice.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:00 pm Reply with quote
As for my own personal anecdote, I'm a middle-aged nerd who has been going to anime cons since the early 2000's, and there was a period of close to a decade where I went to at least 6 a year and worked in the Artist Alley at many of them...

And I'm mostly just very sad that COVID seems like it's dealt a deathblow to anime cons that they may never fully recover from. There were a number of smaller cons I loved that simply couldn't survive not running for a couple of years, and venue and hotel prices have ballooned so much since then that the fan-run conventions that don't have massive corporate sponsors are struggling to keep up with the costs. And, well, I've never been a fan of the conventions that are industry expos rather than fan conventions.

On the flip side, I've attended a few conventions over the last few years and found them to be generally less enjoyable than they were a decade ago, and I was wondering if I was just getting too old for them... and then I went to Anthrocon last year and had a blast. It was great to go to a big con that had zero corporate influence, was well-organized, put the artists first, and was filled with people who were just there to have fun.

I actually really like the way AC handles their Artist Alley, and I feel like anime cons would do well copying their setup. First, their Dealer's Room is not filled with industry booths or retail stores; it's for professional, independent artists and authors who make a living off of doing their work full-time. Dealers are approved through a jury system like a lot of anime cons.

The Artist Alley, on the other hand, is intended for smaller artists, and AA tables are notable for not being assigned to one artist for the entire weekend; most artists just have tables for one day. When you apply, you can request which day(s) you want to have a table, and the organizers arrange artists to give them all at least one day; artists who only request one day are given precedence, then artists who requested two days are slotted in if there's enough room for them, and so on. Applying for a table is also free! The result of all of this is that there's a new set of artists every day, which is great for con-goers, and in practice, every artist who applies gets a table for at least one day.

Anyway, that's a lot of text to say that I hope small and mid-sized anime conventions manage to stick around, because if AX and/or Crunchyroll Expo end up being the only major anime conventions, I guess I'm a furry now.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm considered an Old now. I've been to every Anime Weekend Atlanta since '01 (including the online-only 2020), and have watched it grow in real time. I also periodically go to others on occasion like Momocon, but AWA is the one where I've seen the changes most apparently and have participated on most sides (volunteer, regular attendee, vendor, Artist Alley, etc).

AWA has been pretty solid over the years in its stability (thanks in large part to Darius I think), but I'm quite concerned about this upcoming one. The con has been at the Cobb Galleria for over 20 years (I've actually been there for its entire run in the Galleria), however the building is being knocked down and rebuilt this year so a new venue was selected for this year as the Cobb Galleria no longer exists.

It used to be that the Cobb county area hosting the Galleria building was very affordable and had acres of free parking all over the place as it's also a public mall in addition to the convention center, but the Atlanta Braves built their latest stadium literally across the street a few years ago and the prices for everything have ridiculously skyrocketed ever since. The MLB world series has taken place at the same time across the street from the con (meaning crazy extra security and the impossibility of leaving at certain times because of traffic gridlock) and the Braves' presence has caused all the parking in the area (that used to be 100% free) to become event parking. It cost me over $100 just to park my car over the course of the weekend last time, on top of my con ticket. Some of the decks refused overnight parking or would arbitrarily double-charge if they thought you parked there too long. The mall (which had been dying a slow death) is suddenly more valuable as more parking (that I'm sure will continue to be $35+ a day), so they're bulldozIng the venue to build a new space with more parking.

Anyway. The timing of all the rebuilding means that AWA is left homeless at a weird time, meaning it's getting a venue change to Atlanta proper (the same place as Momocon but different buildings). And Atlanta ain't cheap. Plus, it's having to shift the time of year to December from fall. So yeah. I'm a bit worried about the change of venue, the new area, and the new time. That's a lot of variables when so many other cons aren't doing hot right now. I really hope everything works out because AWA has been my one yearly convention and I look forward to it every year.

Conversely, I'm actually seeing a lot more one day minicons popping up lately. No hotel overnights, but stuff in community centers and such. My local library even has a cosplay contest and panels at their mincon event. Maybe those new minicons will find a way to pave something new. Because I actually have watched a whole bunch of these small cons pop up from their initial founding of barely an event come and go over the years. I remember when Youmacon debuted, for instance. Heck, I went to Momocon when it was still free at Georgia Tech's campus and AWA itself spun out of Dragon Con's video rooms.

I just kinda figured we were in-between eras and that a bubble of sorts popped. But yeah, the hotels aren't making it easy for stuff to grow anymore.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:00 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I'd argue at minimum the scene's effect has been diluted with other interests, including:
-Older adults using cons to meet up with their friends (instead of taking other forms of group vacation)
-Parents using conventions in lieu of theme park
-Cosplayers and other parties using conventions to build clout
-People who simply want to observe the spectacle

Oh, to me, the cost of the badge for Acen is almost worth it for the bolded option alone. I spend my downtime between events mostly just wandering around looking at who/what people are cosplaying as. But I think you're right about all of these points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:51 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Anyway. The timing of all the rebuilding means that AWA is left homeless at a weird time, meaning it's getting a venue change to Atlanta proper (the same place as Momocon but different buildings). And Atlanta ain't cheap. Plus, it's having to shift the time of year to December from fall. So yeah. I'm a bit worried about the change of venue, the new area, and the new time. That's a lot of variables when so many other cons aren't doing hot right now. I really hope everything works out because AWA has been my one yearly convention and I look forward to it every year.

Prior to moving to the Cobb Galleria, AWA did two years (2001 - 2002, I think) at a convention center near the airport, but it got demolished to make way for a fifth runway. They’ve since rebuilt a new facility, the Georgia International Convention Center, down by the airport, and I was really hoping that’s where AWA was going to move to. It’s on the sky train from the airport (it’s the stop prior to the rental car center), so you could get to it on public transit by taking MARTA to the airport. It also has gobs of free parking, and an arena if they got a really big musical act. The downside is that there aren’t any nearby restaurants, so they’d be heavily dependent on food trucks, even moreso than at the Galleria (man cannot live on Subway alone, but we try). Anyways, I still wonder if AWA might end up at the GICC, but for now let’s hope that downtown at the Georgia World Congress Center works out for them.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:04 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Prior to moving to the Cobb Galleria, AWA did two years (2001 - 2002, I think) at a convention center near the airport, but it got demolished to make way for a fifth runway. They’ve since rebuilt a new facility, the Georgia International Convention Center, down by the airport, and I was really hoping that’s where AWA was going to move to.

Yeah, I did one year at that previous place. I still haven't been to the GICC yet but have been curious about it for a while. Hopefully AWA can at least weather the storm at the Congress Center. Really hope they can get out of December for '25, but iirc they got super last minute notice about the Galleria's death and it's a bit of a miracle a venue got booked for '24 at all.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But a whole lot of people who run in our circles and Discord servers speak with a very familiar fondness for that 2017 gathering in particular. Something about a director allegedly saying, "Nobody's going to show up for queers on skates"?

The quote was "nobody's going to show up for [offensive term starting with a g] on skates". I was there. That was what con staff said to me, word for word. No pc terminology was used because, well, Texas.

I was also there for the cluster that was AnimeFest 2017 and its glorious "Hostage Walk 2017". Nothing like being told to put your hands on your head and march into single file line on the final day to see Yamamoto. I also particularly enjoyed how the only people that were given this privilege were those that were sitting down in a chair in the dining portion of the convention center but this knowledge was not announced, so if you were sitting on the floor or standing, you were SOL. I remember when one staff member told me that he was going to sic the police that were called to the con due to the massive amount of attendees and staff not feeling that they could control them in the lines despite everything being pretty calm. Convention staff was very badge heavy, and I say this as someone who has attended multiple conventions, including multiple Anime Expo, around the US for over 15 years.

AnimeFest is a 501(c)(3) charity, which means that, by law, they have to post their tax returns online. Their EIN is 75-2933134. You can pretty much figure out why the con is closing if you look at it. To save you some time - I'll sum it up. It went from a half million dollar revenue in 2016 to a 1 million revenue in 2017 (Yuri on Ice year). The last year they filed a return was in 2021, which means, if they don't file one this year, they'll lose their charity status.

Their revenue in 2021 was almost 250K. Their revenue in 2020 was a loss of -15.8K.

So, they have been largely staying afloat thanks to the 'gs on skates' that their director and some staff panned from 2017. And they're likely closing up shop this year because they're operating at a loss and would save them the time/money/effort of filing a tax return.

Regarding the convention scene in general - I don't like where it's heading. Everything is so commercialized. I don't mind paying extra to get the experiences that I want (meeting Japanese guests) and I don't mind waiting in line to achieve that. Offer me the ability to pay for the guests I want to meet if that's what I need to guarantee a space. But what I do mind is having a lottery system. Why would I want to spend hundreds of dollars and a week of my time to travel across country only to be told that, ah shucks, I can't meet them because I didn't win a ticket through a randomized lottery. If I'm already ponying up funds for hotel/flight, an extra $500 or so is worth it to me if it guarantees that I'll get to meet the guests I'd like to meet and get their autograph.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:28 am Reply with quote
I enjoy the chaos of AX. I’ve been going uninterrupted (let’s ignore 2020-2021), since 2011 and going all 4 days since 2012.
BTW, I’m nearing 40, too, so it’s not an age thing (I hear people say they are “too old” for cons or some such).
Also, at least around me, I don’t see a lack of cons. I haven’t gone to any this year, my first will be AX.
As for the price, I think it’s reasonable taking into consideration that most cons no matter the size charge anywhere from 35 to 50 dollars per single day, and I paid $170 I think for 2 days at Comic-con. What annoys me are the stupid fees they add, my $165 AX badge ended up being $180.
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
AnimeFest is a 501(c)(3) charity

THANK YOU. I was scrolling through these comments hoping that someone would bring up the elephant in the room. Thank you, Cutiebunny. Anime smile

It still shocks and surprises me how, in the discussions of Anime Conventions and where they are/aren't going, the framework regarding how they are viewed from a legal standpoint (in other words, if they are a non-profit 501c3, 501c6, LLC, or - god forbid - a GP) rarely comes up. While it is easy to talk about the failings of a convention that are obvious (long/disorganized registration lines, Artist Alley application, every flavor of "con drama" that gets blown up on the internet), at the end of the day, if a convention is organized properly and have staff dedicated to maintaining a good relationship with its host city/hotel/convention center/facility, they stand a much, much better chance of surviving post-COVID than other events do. At the core of that is how a convention is viewed as a legal entity by its host state/province/country, and in the pandemic, that made a huge difference from the standpoint of how relief funds were distributed and where those funds came from.

Furthermore, since a lot of conventions are staffed by people who get into staffing because they are fans of Anime/the event itself, it is no surprise that a lot of conventions struggled to deal with the complicated hoops events had to jump through to navigate that time. That's like signing up to play a game of Mini Golf only to discover that you have to take the LSAT. That isn't the fault of the events or their staff, of course; it was a once-in-a-century disaster that everyone struggled with, and a lot of good people, non-profits, and small businesses got hurt in the shuffle of hastily-assembled aid efforts and dysfunctional programs like the PPP.

Yes, hotels and facilities are still trying to recoup COVID-era losses, but Anime conventions still bring in an amount of business that few other events can replicate - especially in a time when the larger "Business Convention" market still hasn't returned to the level it was before the pandemic. There is still a pervasive belief in some fan circles that hotels think Anime fans are more trouble than they are worth; as someone who works in the travel industry, I can promise you that 1) other groups can be just as rowdy and 2) if you can fill almost every room in a hotel for a weekend, the hotel will not care because they will be doing brisk, amazing business - and at the end of the day, that business alone is what enables them to grow.

The fact of the matter is that, despite everything, the demand is still there for conventions to exist and it is stronger than ever before. Oddball one-day events resembling the one joked about in the article still happen frequently, and there IS a large event (or two) that have survived for decades even though they weren't properly incorporated OR registered as a non-profit - which is only possible when you are offering the public a product that is so attractive that the people attending don't care how the event is organized; they just want to go have fun with their friends.

As someone who has volunteered for cons my whole life, my only hope is that more fans get involved with these events and really take the time to learn how they work - warts and all. It's complicated, but I promise you it's worth the effort.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Just like Key and some others, I went to Otakon (Baltimore) for the spectacle of it. Major part of that was the vendor booths and dealer's room. Remember one year Gaia Online had an orbed shaped booth. But after awhile the vendor booths started disappearing and some becoming just a table with stuff for sale. So there went the spectacle and excitement for me. So I would wander the Dealer's Room, the Artist Alley, the Gaming Room, and the few panels I could get into. Getting into the Panel Rooms kept getting harder and harder, as others have said.

Going to Anime Japan in Tokyo, was what killed me for the American conventions. The spectacle of Anime Japan and all of its vendor booths in two massive halls spoiled me rotten for anything else. Two separate Madoka Magica booths, one shaped like a Magical Girls soul gem, with artwork, decorations, and video screens everywhere and a big flat screen on the rear for people to watch Madoka Magica, and a separate Madoka Magica alleyway with tons of art and decorations. Lets not talk about the three separate sections for the Fate/Stay franchise there. Enough to drool over.

I might go to Otakon again, which I guess is still in Washington DC, but I am not really excited anymore for Amercian conventions.

Has anyone been to AX (I haven't been) and Anime Japan in Tokyo, do you have any comparisons between the two conventions.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:54 pm Reply with quote
It's anime convention hunting season? Well, clearly the solution is to switch the sign to "Comic-Con Hunting Season." Though maybe a little contraction isn't such a bad thing, if we don't get upstart anime cons popping up (A) in a metro area that's already well-served by a long-running anime con, and (B) on the same weekend of another long-running anime con a mere 2-hour drive away.

As others have said, there is kind of a "sweet spot" of convention size, depending on their venue's capacity and layout. Maybe around 6k-16k attendees, which is enough to ensure a high energy level, lots of stuff going on, and enough resources and clout to pull decent guests, gaming contractors, vendors, and artists into their orbit, without being so big to have huge lines and crowds everywhere, and a feeling of "paying a lot to see very little." A lot of the conventions I've been to in recent years have either been to work on their staff, or to promote the convention I've staffed for the last ~20 years, which means having a good percentage of hotel/badge/food costs covered. So I can see why younger, less-resourced attendees would balk at the costs of long-distance travel, badges, hotel rooms, parking, food, and alcohol (if applicable), along with what they choose to spend on cosplay, merchandise, etc..

Another challenge for the scene is that a lot of conventions sprung up in the mid-2000s from college anime clubs, run by people in or just out of college. Many of those original staffers, if they haven't quit because of work demands or getting married / having kids, are into their 40s at this point, and risk becoming burnt out by the mental demands of year-round planning, as well as the physical demands of working the convention itself. The newer generations of fans and attendees may not have the same amount of free time and financial leeway to devote to conventions, especially compared to those of us fortunate enough to experience the lower education costs and better economy before the late-2000s recession. And with high-level staffing turnover, you lose institutional memory, and open up new avenues for accidental mismanagement or outright grift, as we've seen in recent high-profile stories.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:50 pm Reply with quote
We run a small Anime-adjacent business (TTRPG designed to capture the Anime feel) and we just this year had to pull out of our local convention after two positively abysmal years. The cost of the booth kept rising and our sales keep falling. We keep hearing from attendees that they're interested in our product they just don't have the money to spare. And with the rising ticket costs and all that (plus our local convention center just got a new installation... a block and a half away from the main building. So now all programming is split between two reasonably distant buildings and attendees don't want to walk between them) we'd be losing money to attend. It feels pretty dire, especially with how many have already phased out small press so we have to pay for a full on exhibitor booth if we want to sell.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Quote:
But a whole lot of people who run in our circles and Discord servers speak with a very familiar fondness for that 2017 gathering in particular. Something about a director allegedly saying, "Nobody's going to show up for queers on skates"?

The quote was "nobody's going to show up for [offensive term starting with a g] on skates". I was there. That was what con staff said to me, word for word. No pc terminology was used because, well, Texas.

I was also there for the cluster that was AnimeFest 2017 and its glorious "Hostage Walk 2017". Nothing like being told to put your hands on your head and march into single file line on the final day to see Yamamoto. I also particularly enjoyed how the only people that were given this privilege were those that were sitting down in a chair in the dining portion of the convention center but this knowledge was not announced, so if you were sitting on the floor or standing, you were SOL. I remember when one staff member told me that he was going to sic the police that were called to the con due to the massive amount of attendees and staff not feeling that they could control them in the lines despite everything being pretty calm. Convention staff was very badge heavy, and I say this as someone who has attended multiple conventions, including multiple Anime Expo, around the US for over 15 years.

AnimeFest is a 501(c)(3) charity, which means that, by law, they have to post their tax returns online. Their EIN is 75-2933134. You can pretty much figure out why the con is closing if you look at it. To save you some time - I'll sum it up. It went from a half million dollar revenue in 2016 to a 1 million revenue in 2017 (Yuri on Ice year). The last year they filed a return was in 2021, which means, if they don't file one this year, they'll lose their charity status.

Their revenue in 2021 was almost 250K. Their revenue in 2020 was a loss of -15.8K.

So, they have been largely staying afloat thanks to the 'gs on skates' that their director and some staff panned from 2017. And they're likely closing up shop this year because they're operating at a loss and would save them the time/money/effort of filing a tax return.

Thanks for the clarification! I'm pretty it was my paraphrase that Chris was quoting, though I'm not sure I can think of a slur that starts with g unless you think "gay" is a slur.

I was at that AnimeFest as well (and partied with Steve while I was there!) and it was an utter clusterfuck even with the aid of a press pass. I remember that first Yuri on Ice autograph line, and from the inside, it really felt like a riot was about to break out. People were out for blood.

I never did get an autograph, but I think interviewing Sayo Yamamoto makes up for that. I have so many treasured memories from that con.

Azure Chrysanthemum wrote:
We run a small Anime-adjacent business (TTRPG designed to capture the Anime feel) and we just this year had to pull out of our local convention after two positively abysmal years. The cost of the booth kept rising and our sales keep falling. We keep hearing from attendees that they're interested in our product they just don't have the money to spare. And with the rising ticket costs and all that (plus our local convention center just got a new installation... a block and a half away from the main building. So now all programming is split between two reasonably distant buildings and attendees don't want to walk between them) we'd be losing money to attend. It feels pretty dire, especially with how many have already phased out small press so we have to pay for a full on exhibitor booth if we want to sell.

Guessing this is Sakura Con? That's my local con and it's a disaster.

Last edited by all-tsun-and-no-dere on Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:23 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Guessing this is Sakura Con? That's my local con and it's a disaster.

Ahahahaha got it in one
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
As others have said, there is kind of a "sweet spot" of convention size, depending on their venue's capacity and layout. Maybe around 6k-16k attendees..

I would argue that, as long as you have the space and a decent amount of competent staff, anything over 100K is a nightmare. 100K is usually at the point where you're camping out overnight to get autograph tickets or one of the first to get into the dealer hall. I remember when Anime Expo hit this and my $250+/night hotel room was reduced to glorified luggage storage with an attached shower.

If, give the choice between a small, less-than-10K-con and a behemoth like Anime Expo, I'd go for the small con. The people who staff the small cons usually care a lot about the event or just anime/manga in general. I usually have the better experiences there.

Quote:
And with high-level staffing turnover, you lose institutional memory, and open up new avenues for accidental mismanagement or outright grift, as we've seen in recent high-profile stories.

Oooh, do I have stories....I remember when AM2 was created by a former Anime Expo higher up who took the convention's Japanese guest rolodex when he left Very Happy

I think one of the biggest changes to the convention scene is just the amount of legal red tape involved. Back in the 1990s, you could just slide a VKLL nth copied VHS tape (my fellow olds know what this is) into the viewing room and fill it up. No one cared that you were showing bootleg tapes because things were slow to make it to the US, if they ever made it to the US at all. No money exchanged hands between the convention and the US or Japanese license holders. But now? Permission has to be sought, in writing, from the US distributor in order to publicly show most titles. US license holders often require a fee to show their properties at conventions as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3