• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Suicide Squad Isekai Anime Reveals More Cast Members

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickyTheRat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not if you remember this isn’t the first time they slimmed her down (though this version isn’t super model thin). That and Walker’s weight isn’t really a key part of her character despite what people may think.

It's not, but it's also weird more people don't complain about it since it usually seems like the kind of thing people would complain about. Although I kind of prefer her to be big because it fits the whole "The Wall" moniker and it's what I'm used to for her. But this does seem to be following the live-action movies which already changed a number of other characters like Deadshot so I guess it's pointless to complain in this instance.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
I'd argue it is fairly important because she's one of the only characters in comics that doesn't have a supermodel's body,

Granny Goodness and Etta Candy?

Both of whom were introduced decades before she was.

Nev999 wrote:
The first time she was represented as thin was in the widely maligned New 52 version, and then the Suicide Squad movies

You skipped over Angela Bassett’s portrayal in Green Lantern.

Nev999 wrote:
It's not surprising Hollywood doesn't want fat people in their movies,

Actresses like Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson have been on the larger size for most of their careers and then decided to lose the weight very likely for health reasons. And that’s not even mentioning actors like John Candy, James Gandolfini, or Jonah Hill. So trust me there’s no conspiracy to chase out larger size actors out of the industry.

Nev999 wrote:
I know this wildly controversial in an anime forum, but not every character needs to be traditionally hot. Some of them can look different, it adds texture to the world.

By the same token a character even one usually depicted as being on the heavy side shouldn’t exclusively be depicted as such. Since much like real life where you have different body types and as I mentioned above do have heavy set people who can and will decide to get in shape usually for health reasons.

All that said in Waller’s particular case her weight and height aren’t integral parts of her character it’s her ruthlessness, cunningness, practicality are the true hallmarks to her character as long as any adaptation maintains those parts of her character they’re doing her justice.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:24 pm Reply with quote
RickyTheRat wrote:

It's not, but it's also weird more people don't complain about it since it usually seems like the kind of thing people would complain about. Although I kind of prefer her to be big because it fits the whole "The Wall" moniker and it's what I'm used to for her. But this does seem to be following the live-action movies which already changed a number of other characters like Deadshot so I guess it's pointless to complain in this instance.

That’s admittedly my issue, that it adds to her intimidation factor as this no nonsense government type who holds the reins. It’s off but it isn’t a dealbreaker or anything.
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:37 pm Reply with quote
[[quote="Nev999"]
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Nev999 wrote:
I'd argue it is fairly important because she's one of the only characters in comics that doesn't have a supermodel's body,

Granny Goodness and Etta Candy?

Both of whom were introduced decades before she was.

I said "one of the only" not "the only".But hey, nice job coming up with two whole characters out of millions, one of whose name is literally a pun on "eat a candy" and was written out of the comics for decades.

Quote:
Nev999 wrote:

Actresses like Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson have been on the larger size for most of their careers and then decided to lose the weight very likely for health reasons. And that’s not even mentioning actors like John Candy, James Gandolfini, or Jonah Hill. So trust me there’s no conspiracy to chase out larger size actors out of the industry.

You're clearly an expert on Hollywood, why SHOULDN'T I trust you. You literally just need to google this and you'll get thousands of examples of actors discussing directors and other industry people pressuring them to lose dangerous amounts of weight, or discussing the Hollywood beauty standard. I'm not going to do your research for you, but hey, here's one of the first ones that popped up:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/emma-thompson-hollywood-weight-health-anorexia-thin-brideshead-revisited-a7655606.html

https://people.com/health/anne-hathaway-hollywood-changing-but-thin-still-expectation/

Like, most actors in Hollywood will admit there's a problem with this. They talk about it all the time. I trust them over you, since they actually are in Hollywood.

And again, nice job naming five whole people, a lot of whom are fat primarily in comedy roles. And no, most of them haven't been losing weight for "health"--Poor Jonah Hill is usually asked to gain or lose weight depending on the role he's playing, and I can't imagine gaining and losing weight constantly is very healthy for him.

Quote:
Nev999 wrote:
I know this wildly controversial in an anime forum, but not every character needs to be traditionally hot. Some of them can look different, it adds texture to the world.

By the same token a character even one usually depicted as being on the heavy side shouldn’t exclusively be depicted as such. Since much like real life where you have different body types and as I mentioned above do have heavy set people who can and will decide to get in shape usually for health reasons.

What are you talking about? All the portrayals of Amanda Waller being thin are because she's a real person who worked out, and then when she's portrayed as fat she gained all her weight back? what??? Post got super wild.

Quote:
You skipped over Angela Bassett’s portrayal in Green Lantern.

Another movie that was widely maligned! Thanks for pointing that out, that makes my point even stronger!

For the record, I really don't care whether Amanda Waller is thin or not in this gimmicky anime, I just thought your argument wasn't good, and misunderstood the intentions the creators had for the character.

Last edited by Nev999 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:33 pm; edited 5 times in total
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Eddy2 wrote:
Farhanawesome wrote:
Is there any information about english dub ?

Not that we know of. I have no idea how that's gonna be handled by Warner Bro, let alone where it'll be streaming.

I just hope that if Warner Bros. is handling the international dubs, that they do not send it to Venezuela like other DC animated projects. I'm not trying to sound mean, but Venezuelan dubs aren't what they used to be, and they have barely dubbed any anime since Animax Latin America closed its doors in the early 2010s, the only recent anime that was dubbed there was Blade Runner Black Lotus, and I suppose that the Rick & Morty anime kind of counts.
RoxasCross

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Do batman show up at any point? I hope he does, hell I'll take 10 sec of screen time. I just want to see how he would look with this art style.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:00 pm Reply with quote
RoxasCross wrote:
Do batman show up at any point? I hope he does, hell I'll take 10 sec of screen time. I just want to see how he would look with this art style.

I think if we see him at all it'll be in Joker and Harley's introduction.
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Anyway reason I actually checked this thread was to see if anyone else thought Katana's mask (at least how they drew it) looks incredibly weird with an anime face and eyes. It keeps unsettling me.
Smongo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:46 am Reply with quote
Glad to know we’re getting more SS members like Flag and Katana. As said before, I really hope Captain Boomrang gets in. I wouldn’t be surprised if the story involved John Constantine or Zatanna as the “mages” of the party. I made a prediction when they announced the project that the final boss/demon lore will be Barbatos (from the DC storyline Dark Nights: Metal and Death Metal) or a similar look-like, so Batman could be involved. Plus, Batman Ninja released 6 years ago, so they could get Koichi Yamadera to be Batman again if Batman is involved. Overall, pretty exciting and hope there’s more to the cast and when it will be released.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Eddy2 wrote:
Farhanawesome wrote:
Is there any information about english dub ?

Not that we know of. I have no idea how that's gonna be handled by Warner Bro, let alone where it'll be streaming.

I just hope that if Warner Bros. is handling the international dubs, that they do not send it to Venezuela like other DC animated projects. I'm not trying to sound mean, but Venezuelan dubs aren't what they used to be, and they have barely dubbed any anime since Animax Latin America closed its doors in the early 2010s, the only recent anime that was dubbed there was Blade Runner Black Lotus, and I suppose that the Rick & Morty anime kind of counts.

Hollywood might claim to be pro of X socio-demographic wise but potential or verified first-hand accts. from members of that group might say otherwise.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:56 am Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
Anyway reason I actually checked this thread was to see if anyone else thought Katana's mask (at least how they drew it) looks incredibly weird with an anime face and eyes. It keeps unsettling me.

Oh yeah they are going for a cute anime girl look here and as a result Katana is portrayed as younger than she usually is. Makes her kind of off-putting if you are familiar with her, especially if you are used to her mask always having solid white eyes.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
I said "one of the only" not "the only".But hey, nice job coming up with two whole characters out of millions, one of whose name is literally a pun on "eat a candy" and was written out of the comics for decades.

Saying one of the only was still a weird use of phrase. If we again acknowledge that there are two pre existing characters in DC comics who like Waller are on the heavy set side. It doesn’t matter if one of the them was written as a blatant stereotype or disappeared from the comics for a time the fact still remains Waller’s not the only character in that mold.

Nev999 wrote:
You're clearly an expert on Hollywood, why SHOULDN'T I trust you.

Has nothing to do with being an expert it’s simple observation. If what you said were true which of course it’s not. And I’ll requote what you said

Nev999 wrote:

Again if this were true none of these people that I mentioned and the countless others I did not mention. Due to the high number and the countless hours of research involved not because I could only come up with five examples who I easily named off the top of my head. Would be or have gotten getting significant roles in Hollywood projects. I don’t have to google research to check your work the onus was on you to cite facts which you did not when you said the above.

Now to be fair you can make the argument that Hollywood among many industries has fostered a stigma towards heavy set people but again they’re not chasing them out the industry altogether or banning characters who fit that mold. You made a bad argument and rather you acknowledge it you’re tripling down on it while making even more nonsensical points accusing people of saying or doing things they didn’t do for reasons that are non existent.

Nev999 wrote:
And again, nice job naming five whole people, a lot of whom are fat primarily in comedy roles. And no, most of them haven't been losing weight for "health"--Poor Jonah Hill is usually asked to gain or lose weight depending on the role he's playing,

Jonah Hill has lost weight both for health reasons and for movie roles

Apparently actors like normal people can’t want to get in shape for their physical and emotional health? They only do this for their jobs? which funnily enough normal people also do. And you’re critiquing me for making unfounded assumptions and taking like an expert on things I don’t understand?

Nev999 wrote:
What are you talking about? All the portrayals of Amanda Waller being thin are because she's a real person who worked out

Reading comprehension doesn’t seem to be your strong suit so I clarify my point eventhough it’s more or less the same as what I said earlier. Which is If anyone is arguing that fictional works should be like real life by having characters of all different body shapes than you can also have a fictional work where a character that’s usually portrayed as being a certain size. Can gain and lose weight or vice versa just like a normal person they don’t only have to do it only one way.

To sum up they can do a slim Waller, they can also do a “traditional” Waller, they can even even do both who starts out one way and turns into the other. Again Waller being heavy set isn’t as important to the character like fans think hence why you have to versions of the character across various properties.

Nev999 wrote:
I just thought your argument wasn't good,

Interesting because neither were both of yours.

Either way I’m done with this exercise.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm still wary but I've got my fingers crossed this turns out to be a bombastic satirical joyride. For Clayface: I'm not familiar enough with his character to know if this design is a variant or if the anime is going the Bungo Stray Dogs route and just making him hot with monstrous powers for the sake of marketability. Honestly, either explanation is fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2