• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Synecdoche's Plus-Sized Elf Manga Gets TV Anime This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:45 pm Reply with quote
2024 is off to a good start. I love how unapologetic Japan is.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And once again, otaku Japan proves it's 50 years behind the cultural times of the West. A show about a female losing weight? Come on. Being an anime/manga fan can be really irritating at times...

There it is again lol

It really should take just one look at the cover of the manga, but I recall an ANN reviewer was similarly confused and they had to read a whole volume. Like, sure, 10 years ago I wouldn't have expected people to get this stuff, but when it's become mainstream enough to get anime catering to it...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
It really should take just one look at the cover of the manga, but I recall an ANN reviewer was similarly confused and they had to read a whole volume. Like, sure, 10 years ago I wouldn't have expected people to get this stuff, but when it's become mainstream enough to get anime catering to it...

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
As an additional note, massage therapy for supposed weight loss is a huge industry in Japan. Very commonplace. (I personally don’t think it works, though I’ve never been)
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make.

This is not a show about losing weight.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:56 pm Reply with quote
@ Arale Kurashiki - So Seven Seas description of a manga it is distributing is incorrect?:

Quote:
Seven Seas Entertainment is releasing the manga in English, and it describes the story:

Naoe-kun, a massage therapist, is about to head home for the day when he's saddled with a rather strange patient. This lovely lady has emerald eyes, pointy ears, and grew up in the forest–everything about her screams “elf,” except for one thing: her bodacious body. It turns out she left her world but loves junk food in this one, and now her obsession has caught up with her. Can Naoe-kun help this loveable elf girl lose the weight–and keep it off?

That would make me very happy if true because I like shows about elves.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
The point is that it doesn't take fitness as seriously as shows like 'How heavy are the dumbells you lift". Comparisons to monster musume can be made but this is a much less interesing manga and I say this as someone that eventually dropped both. The set up for Plus size elf is just to make the same one/two joke(s): she fat and she eats a lot of junk food. There isn't much variety in the monster girls designs (almost all can pass for human). And the fanservice is pretty tame. I've noticed that mangaka who also draw hentai often have relatively tame "official" works. Like they are just there to promote their hentai.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a worthy non-cyberpunk companion piece to Real Drive.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:32 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
Blame whoever went for the english title. The original japanese title never mentions "plus size"

Weirdly enough the title in France literally translates to "50 Shades of Fat" and they made it a 50 Shades of Grey reference for some reason (gris = grey, gras = fat). Still a silly title, but probably more accurate to how the series is executed in absurdity. Debu to Rabu to Ayamachi had a similar translation into English as well. I think "fat" is one of those words Americans try to avoid and change it for 'plus size' to be more politically correct. I guess in Japan the English title they want is "Elf Can't Be on a Diet" according to this promo image. I do wonder how many people are going to get bait-and-switched by this title change though and not be happy with what they get versus what they expected. The manga does have some genuine nice healthy eating habits and weight loss information that I hope the anime keeps in some regard.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:47 pm Reply with quote
This could be fun.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Money on the table... it's going to be licensed by HiDive.
Farafra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:44 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Money on the table... it's going to be licensed by HiDive.

And never get dubbed.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:49 am Reply with quote
People seem way to sensitive about anime content these days and I’m not sure why.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:13 am Reply with quote
Someone on this Reddit thread claims the mangaka is into the chubby/pudgy look due to the mangaka's thinphobia.
https://old.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/19758po/plussized_elf_anime_announced_teaser_visual/

Apparently they got traumatised after seeing this famous photo of a malnourished child during the 1993 Sudan famine, and thus the phobia of thin people stuck since.
https://new-cdn.mamamia.com.au/mamamia-pwa.appspot.com/cms_images/variations/1587x1058-355319308250.jpg
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Arale Kurashiki - So Seven Seas description of a manga it is distributing is incorrect?

This is part of the kink. The main character is ostensibly trying to lose weight, but that is not going to happen, because the artist would never draw that. Which is why every single cover is about her eating fries and her fat ass, which are the actual subjects of the work.

It's just surprising to me this needs explaining when there are images in the article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4