• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Prodigious Legacy Of The Digimon Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AshleyReya1999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I think the ship has sailed on that idea - if Digimon were to get a new dub then the best time would have been when Discotek remastered the series.

And the thing about it is that even Discotek themselves don't have that much money to produce a redub, left alone dubbing a full TV Anime series.

Last edited by AshleyReya1999 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:27 pm Reply with quote
PC 20XX wrote:
To be fair, Rita Majkut was a producer on both the Digimon Adventure dub and Glitter Force.

It must have been higher ups than her who didn't care about Glitter Force maintaining Japanese roots.

She represents Studiopolis who Saban hired to dub them so yeah, the issue was more on Saban's side.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
That said, if Toei wanted to go back and dub Appmon, the best season since Tamers, that'd be great.

They gave up on that after their French dub flopped.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The one thing is, and it goes back to the original way Haim Saban got rich, the music didn't stay consistent in later dubs. since Saban owned all that music separately until he sold the music library in 2011 (it's now owned by BMG, I believe). They couldn't use the original Digimon theme or variations thereof in the later seasons, or in Tri, or in Last Evolution Kizuna. Eleven Arts sure tried to emulate the theme and I appreciate that. But as iconic as Butter-Fly and Brave Heart are, a few needle drops of the dub theme or "Hey Digimon" would've been nice.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:55 pm Reply with quote
PC 20XX wrote:
To be fair, Rita Majkut was a producer on both the Digimon Adventure dub and Glitter Force.

It must have been higher ups than her who didn't care about Glitter Force maintaining Japanese roots.

Rita I am dissapoint.

Anyway I hope Canada or Studiopolis work on an Uncut Pretty Cure. I dont mind either. But not Crunchyroll. They treat their actors like trash.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Majkut also helpfully confirmed that the longstanding oddity of changing Tai's family name from "Yagami" to "Kamiya" was not intentional but resulted from "a translation error of some kind," something fans have long speculated on.

I don’t remember ever seeing any comment regarding Yagami, but I do remember Megchan saying that the teacher Asanuma in Tamers became Asagi in the dub due to the script or whatever she was initially given to work from was scrawled in pencil.

—edit—
Digging this out of my dead forums wasn’t easy as I had to scour the raw SQL but
Quote:
Asaji, not Asagi (though maybe that was how they spelt it in the dub).

Asaji = 浅治

Asanuma = 浅沼

And if you saw the messy handwriting those scripts were done in, they look even more alike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nipasu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Adding to this; the changes they made to the dub were truly bizarre. The dub initially had Kelsey introduce okonomiyaki as being "like Japanese pizza" (though it isn't), but then later on she's heard saying the dish's correct name (and stressed it was "Japanese food".). Then for some reason, Saban cut the one episode that focused on her family's restaurant. Rolling Eyes

The school trip was changed for Kyoto and Osaka....to an "Asian Pacific Expo". Because of this, all the REAL LIFE attractions and destinations are changed to being replicas and other nonsensical things.

GF was a truly wild time for anime dubs ad while I'd like to know more about what thoughts were put in making this dub I'm more interested in knowing why the hell Doki Doki Pretty Cure was trimmed to only 30 episodes!

Going back to Digmon; cool that fans are getting an uncut re-release of the movies.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
It was a wild time, because Glitter Force flopping and Doki Doki getting its episodes slashed finally proved for one and for all NO ONE likes Macekres anymore. They arent profitable, children dont like them better, THEY ARE POINTLESS.

Sure a lot of kids did love Glitter Force but they are a small few and even then they got cheated and Saban dropped the license like a hot potato. I really hope that any Precure dub will be uncut and a hit with everyone.
AshleyReya1999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:
I'm more interested in knowing why the hell Doki Doki Pretty Cure was trimmed to only 30 episodes!

Well, I don't know much well about the Glitter Force dub other than a few things but for Doki Doki, most of the episodes have been combined as one rather than having episodes being cut out, that's the reason the series have less episodes.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but why were episodes combined? Why didn't Saban just dub them fully instead of combining them?
AshleyReya1999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they want to go fast with the story or something, Could be my guess.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:16 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that the show was not profitable and thus they released as few episodes as possible to spend less. That thought makes me happy.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha reading this is great, I had always known Jeff Nimoy was strictly on the team of getting rid of any references to Japan and Japanese culture, and while obviously no one agrees with that view and it’s good he wasn’t allowed to by the producers, I can sorta understand for the time where he was coming from and why, and I also love why he was blocked from doing so. As Rita essentially said, it was all about that money.

I think if fans go back and look at a lot of these older edited dubs, almost every decision was made because of money reasons. 4kids would sell their versions of shows to other overseas language markets, so they would remove any and all onscreen text, English or Japanese, to do so. And here, Toei and Bandai already had the toy line manufactured and ready to go, so no names or locations were allowed to be changed in Saban’s version of Digimon. It was a happy accident, but finding out how simple and almost detached the reasoning for it was is always interesting in its own way, especially after years and years of early 2000’s anime fans demonizing some of these people, who really, were just doing a job.

The industry and perception of anime as a whole is a lot different these days, as some of the posts have pointed out, Glitter Force was sorta that final attempt at an old style edited dub for “American kids” and it didn’t work out, and these days we just get proper, faithful, English dubs. I can’t say I miss the old days style of my childhood dubs very much, but I’m glad we got many iconic and sincere things out of them. Really looking forward to grabbing a copy of this new dub by Discotek.
StarDango

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The OG Dub means so much to me since Digimon, in general, is responsible for making me the anime fan I am today. I will still vouch for it and the dubs for the movies and other seasons. And I really appreciate that with every new release, they’re trying to improve writing Digimon dubs while also maintaining the charm of old school dubs.

Call it a nostalgia filter- I’m just one of those anime fans that can look back on those 90s-2000s dubs of kid’s anime and think “you know, they were pretty fun.”

While I’m glad that we’ve strayed away from trying to American-ize anime meant for younger audiences, I do find stuff like adding ad-libbed dialogue or small jokes to be pretty funny when done right (Gabumon saying “You’re not a real blonde?” will always get me.) We still see that being done in modern dubs of slice-of-life, rom-com, and gag anime. So I’m hoping that when they choose continue to dub other Digimon or Digi-related properties, those random bits of humor is something they won’t stop doing.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I am so dissapointed with Jeff Nimoy, if it was up to him Digimon would have been Glitter Force'd. Thank god I dont even watch English dubs so I dont feel bad for watching his work. And he retired anyway.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:21 pm Reply with quote
StarDango wrote:
While I’m glad that we’ve strayed away from trying to American-ize anime meant for younger audiences, I do find stuff like adding ad-libbed dialogue or small jokes to be pretty funny when done right (Gabumon saying “You’re not a real blonde?” will always get me.)

I'm guessing the reason is because we haven't seen any new Children's English anime dubs in recent years.

The majority of the content dubbed nowadays is aimed towards older audiences; kids still get Pokémon and Beyblade Burst (Is Yugi still being dubbed?) but outside of these two, nothing else seems to be given dubs. The last show I remember hearing that had Westernized names was a dub of Inazuma Eleven Ares that aired on Disney Anime hyper: but this dub kept the main characters in Japan. As for movies, both Stand By Me Doraemon films used the dub names for the characters.

Really, the only kids' shows getting licensed (Waccha PriMagi and Pretty Cure) are only given subs to attract older fans. I haven't seen any other kids' anime debut in recent years, sans Dino Girl Gauko (the only recent kids' show I've seen to be given an uncut dub).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4