• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Spring 2023 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty late to checking out premieres (only just caught up with the ones I wanted to check out a couple nights ago), but ended up voting for a lot more shows than usual in the poll. Pretty sure everything made it in!

I admittedly sort of fell off reading reviews last season (instead just listening to the weekly podcast coverage), either due to the show being simple and easy-going enough that I didn't feel the need to check out reviews every week, or in the case of one show in particular, said reviews were just not clicking with me at all as a reader. There's so much out this season that I'm sure I'm bound to keep up with quite a few more!
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
All of my picks made it. Didn't vote for G-Witch, which I had been sleeping on until this past weekend, but I knew it would continue anyway. Looking good!
Ruddor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:31 pm Reply with quote
It's always fun to read way too much into the review scheduling process.
"Oh, you want to review Ancient Magus' Bride? How much are you willing to sacrifice?"
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Richard is gonna review My Home Hero? ...looking forward to his articles especially considering the reaction to the premiere
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Otaku Elf’s going to have weekly reviews!
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ruddor wrote:
"Oh, you want to review Ancient Magus' Bride? How much are you willing to sacrifice?"

I know, right? Like, look at AJ’s list. All those charming, sweet shows, but, just to avoid sugar overload—Hell’s Paradise! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Always rough to see something you were interested in didn't even make the top 30. (Which includes three continuations from winter, mind you -- One Piece, Vinland Saga, and NieR.)

For the convenience of anyone interested, here's the list of rejects:

1. alice gear aegis Expansion
  2. The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure: Serving Gods Who Go Too Far
  3. The Café Terrace and Its Goddesses
  4. Edens Zero Season 2
  5. The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls U149
  6. I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World
  7. In Another World With My Smartphone Season 2
  8. Kizuna no Allele
  9. Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible
  10. Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear—Punch!
  11. The Marginal Service
  12. MIX Season 2
  13. My One-Hit Kill Sister
  14. OPUS.COLORS
  15. Rokudo's Bad Girls
  16. Stella of the Theater: World Dai Star
  17. Summoned to Another World for a Second Time
  18. Tokyo Mew Mew New Season 2
  19. Too Cute Crisis

Going by current MyAnimeList members, the most popular of those are I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World, Summoned to Another World for a Second Time, In Another World With My Smartphone 2, The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure, and Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear—Punch!. So, I guess ANN readers are getting tired of Narou-type isekai faster than MAL members.

(On MAL's seasonal chart, Birdie Wing S2 is currently down at #38 for TV shows -- the lowest show on the chart to have made the cut here, just below Sacrificial Princess. Otaku Elf is the next above that, at #34, and then My Clueless First Friend at #32. Despite how requested G-Witch S2 was here, it's only #29 on the MAL chart.)

Quote:
For the curious, the most requested series from this season were Oshi no Ko, followed by Skip and Loafer, Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury Season 2, Hell's Paradise, and Heavenly Delusion.

I assume this means requested by readers, but now I'm curious what shows were the most requested by reviewers.

Last edited by Shay Guy on Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
PumpkinMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Lynzee back for Ranking of Kings! Very Happy

Also Nick getting KamiKatsu after that preview review sure is gonna' be...interesting. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote
That My Home Hero made the cut this season is quite a surprise to me, especially given its lukewarm reception and presentation style. More mildly surprised that The Legendary Hero is Dead! made it, given that it also had a lukewarm reception, and that Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear - Punch! didn't.

Not surprised but disappointed that Isekai Cheat Skill didn't make it. Despite being a naked power fantasy with mediocre (at best) animation, it's taken an approach with its second and third episodes that I find worthy of commentary.

Also not surprised that Oshi no Ko was at the top of the request heap. That's the one that I am most looking forward to seeing weekly commentary on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
moony_badger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Nice, most of my votes made it in! My top contender so far is Skip and Loafer, though Oshi no Ko is off to a really intriguing start. I'm enjoying but not over the moon about Heavenly Delusion and Love at LV 999. Oshi no Ko and Heavenly Delusion both are so high concept and ambitious that I'm kinda mentally bracing myself for the possibility of them going tits up like Promised Neverland or Wonder Egg Priority, but fingers crossed that they'll stick their landings better.

My only vote that didn't make the cut was unsurprisingly Soaring Sky! Pretty Cure; it's a shame that it wasn't this season of Precure that got covered instead of Delicious Party, I think there's more going on in this one and more interesting characters. But I guess there just isn't much of a Precure fanbase presence on ANN Sad Maybe one day!

Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:09 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
No one's interested in Isekai Smartphone anymore, now that literally every isekai is the same thing Sad Cool

Do people not remember when the first season was released? Most people did not "care about it" the first time around. It was fittingly heralded as the most generic thing seen up to that point. The only nostalgia the show really should receive is that, somehow, the subgenre has become even more ridiculously reductive.
"Hey, remember when Smartphone was the silliest isekai idea? ... oh, for those simpler days when every other one didn't involve farming and or slimes."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:
No one's interested in Isekai Smartphone anymore, now that literally every isekai is the same thing Sad Cool

Do people not remember when the first season was released? Most people did not "care about it" the first time around. It was fittingly heralded as the most generic thing seen up to that point. The only nostalgia the show really should receive is that, somehow, the subgenre has become even more ridiculously reductive.
"Hey, remember when Smartphone was the silliest isekai idea? ... oh, for those simpler days when every other one didn't involve farming and or slimes."

I was being sarcastic, of course Smile I was only finding it funny that something once heralded as the lowest possible trash imaginable, is barely making a dent when we're oversaturated by the same kind of trash nowadays.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Ruddor wrote:

No, this is entirely on purpose. On a meta-level...Nick and I were debating which one of us would review the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
myfairx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:17 pm Reply with quote
kinda let down that Cheat skill and Too cute crisis got rejected. very low expectations but I'm enjoying it nevertheless which is surprising.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Surprised it's not Richard doing Kamikatsu, since he's the only one who seemed to be into it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3