• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Cutthroat World of Shonen Jump Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
Perhaps I'm just missing something, but would it be that impossible for Shonen Jump to simply move the axed series to their app, if the manga-ka would like to finish their story in some decent capacity? Some of the more niche stories or those with a smaller but devoted fanbase (or simply an overseas fanbase, as the case may be) could surely find some decent success through volume sales over time.

There are a number of reasons I can think of for why somebody in an editorial position wouldn't want to do that.

1) If you're cancelling a series for low readership, there's not really anything to be gained by moving it to Plus that you wouldn't also get from just ending it. There's nothing to suggest its readership would increase by being taken out of the biggest magazine in the market.

2) Plus doesn't have a physical limit to how many series it can publish, but it does have a limit to how much editorial/marketing/publishing money can be put behind it, which effectively limits how many series it can host. So bringing over a failing series means either adding a new editor to handle the series, adding workload to one already there, or removing an editor from the magazine's staff. Again, why go through that much hassle for a series you've already decided isn't doing well enough to keep around?

3) If you're the head editor or executive over Plus, you probably don't want your service to get the reputation as the main magazine's dumping ground. You have your own lineup of series - several of which are massively popular - and you stand to be much more appealing by continuing to look for new hits, rather than letting dregs from the main magazine peter out weeks or months later.
Flü

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, go read The Last Saiyuki so you can be sad with me. Please.

The Last Saiyuki truly deserved better. I still believe that it could've survived if it didn't spin it's wheels for so long early on and reached the (B)Estelle-arc sooner. Even the ToC rankings were picking up for those, tho it was sadly too late.
At least also managed to stick the very difficult and sudden landing with a great and satisfying final chapter.

Also, everyone should read Magu-chan. A very cute and funny series with some effective drama when it wants to and one of the greatest final chapters I've experienced in manga for many years.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:57 pm Reply with quote
While there have been some instances of Jump manga being given second chances, they are pretty much so few that you can count them on one hand:
-Bastard!! (Moved over to Seasonal Specials in 1990, apparently because a solid tankouban sales; moved back to Weekly Jump irregularly in 1997 due to Seasonal Specials ending, before being moved to Ultra Jump in 2001)
-Hareluya (Original series cancelled after 10 chapters in 1992, but was rebooted as Hareluya II BØY later that same year, seemingly because OG series did find some newfound interest late into run)
-Rising Impact (Initially cancelled in 1999 after 15 chapters, only to return 11 weeks later, apparently due to fan demand; would end in 2002 after 17 volumes)
-iShojo (Cancelled after 20 chapters in 2014, but continued in Jump+ as iShojo+ later that same year, ending in 2017 after 14 volumes)
-Otoko Zaka (Cancelled in 1985 after 30 chapters, but was revived in 2014 & still runs in irregular bursts to this day; nearing its end)

It is important to remember that these are exceptions to the rule, though, not proof that Jump should change its ways.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:01 pm Reply with quote
When the vast majority of the axed series are "eh" or "good riddance" I say it's working. Of course there are axed series I would have wanted to continue, but the ones that do make it really show why they did.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
But, the big kahuna of axed series in Jump its Psyren.

Psyren ran for 16 vols.

An extremely interesting piece that combined isekai with time travel and psychic powers with mystery, it has it's popularity even today.

Since it ran for a while it didn't have a disastrous sudden ending, I mean, it was rushed but it also explained everything very well and most questions had their answers.

If you can, read it.

I totally agree; Psyren is a very interesting series. The last arc was quite rushed, so the writing must have already been on the wall, but it was able to end in a more or less acceptable fashion. It certainly didn't have to wrap up in one chapter like a lot of these recent axed series had to. The full series is still on Viz' SJ reader, I believe.
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:11 pm Reply with quote
PPPPPP is especially odd not just because it got cut in 70, but because it wasn’t even doing exceptionally bad either. From its last volume it was doing similar numbers as Undead Unluck and Mission Yozakura Family in volume sales. In addition to that it was placing in several contests. In the Tsugi no Kuru Manga awards it placed 5th in the physical category, and in the Nationwide Bookstore Employees Recommend Comics for 2023 it placed 10th. And even more it got a recommendation from Ado and Shiro Usazaki.

It felt like it had the makings of something that would have been, maybe not a huge hit, but a modest one.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the Double Arts mention! I think that's the #1 series that I was disappointed to see cancelled in Jump -- and I'm pretty sure everyone else who read it agrees! I haven't seen a single person who's read it and not been shocked that it didn't get a continuation. It's honestly one of the few premature cancellations that has genuinely made me go, "What were they thinking?"

I'm really hoping that since Komi Naoshi has finished with the (very successful) Nisekoi now that he'll go back to trying his hand at action adventure again.

I've been disappointed with other jump cancellations, such as Nekowappa! by Matsumoto Naoya (now writing Kaiju No.8), Super Dog Rilienthal by Ashihara Daisuke (World Trigger), and even Hell Warden Higuma once it hit its stride, but I could see why all these series were cancelled, and even more, most of these authors have gone on to write even better and more successful works.

But Double Arts just feels like such a missed opportunity, especially since Komi ended up going on to write a school life, harem romcom (not a genre I'm into) instead of sticking to action adventure.

I am shocked that Ayashimon got cancelled so quickly, though I haven't read it yet, considering how popular Jigokuraku was during its run on Jump Plus. It seemed like a no-brainer move to WSJ for Kaku Yuuji after that, so I'm surprised that it didn't work out.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:53 am Reply with quote
I truly do not know what so many people saw in Red Hood. The cracks on that were showing by chapter 2
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:41 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I truly do not know what so many people saw in Red Hood. The cracks on that were showing by chapter 2

Exactly!

A lot of people put stock in it because apparently Youtubers were hailing it as the next great Shonen Jump hit (mostly because of the design of the female characters, I'm sure) but as you say the problems were evident early.

The author spent far too much time in the MC's home village instead of moving on. We should have had the exam arc starting around chapter 3 or 4.

Imagine if Naruto spent 5 chapters fighting Mizuki.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:23 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

Never read it, but, reimaginations of classic fairy tales are always popular.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

indeed better axed series were really deserving that attention like neru and phantom seer instead of red hood since it wasn't that special.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:20 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I imagine the "secret ingredient" to understanding why some series get the axe and other survive, that the audience is completely obvious to, is the author personality/work style.

I think that's an excellent point. If an author is easy to work with, that will certainly be a point in their favor if they're a middle of the pack series whose survival might be in doubt. It probably won't save an outright unpopular series, but it might allow a struggling manga to survive long enough to build an audience.

Another big factor that readers can't really have insight on: what's coming up next. Since there are a limited number of spots in the magazine, each cancellation brings with it the premiere of a new series to take the cancelled manga's place. And if there's a series that editorial is especially excited about, if it's something that looks like it could be a big hit or which comes from a popular established creator, they might be more inclined to cancel something in the magazine in order to make room. On the other hand, if there's nothing exciting in development, that might give the current struggling series a longer lifespan, while Jump works on getting new pitches from aspiring creators.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:43 am Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:

A lot of people put stock in it because apparently Youtubers were hailing it as the next great Shonen Jump hit (mostly because of the design of the female characters, I'm sure) but as you say the problems were evident early.

Female character design is what made people hyped? Seriously. People were itching for a battle shounen with a western style fantasy world. (As opposed to a japanese school setting urban fantasy/youkai fantasy/occult fantasy). That's why people were interested. It had nothing to do with the female characters not being sexy enough for the "masturbates while reading manga" demographic
クズオタク

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:43 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
LastPage 3 wrote:

Female character design is what made people hyped? Seriously. People were itching for a battle shounen with a western style fantasy world. (As opposed to a japanese school setting urban fantasy/youkai fantasy/occult fantasy). That's why people were interested. It had nothing to do with the female characters not being sexy enough for the "masturbates while reading manga" demographic

I think it was the mystery aspect that really sold it. The setup in the first chapters lead us to believe we were in for a harrowing adventure through this monster riddled world. The character designs and the battles were good too. I wasn't bored but the training/exam arc did drag on for too long. Japanese readers weren't bought in enough for them to sit through that I guess.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:50 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
LastPage 3 wrote:

Female character design is what made people hyped? Seriously. People were itching for a battle shounen with a western style fantasy world. (As opposed to a japanese school setting urban fantasy/youkai fantasy/occult fantasy).

Literally Black Clover
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3