• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: I'm in Love with the Villainess Yuri Isekai Novels Get TV Anime in 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:27 am Reply with quote
What is she doing to her at 0:42?
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:47 am Reply with quote
About time. This is good news, even if the adaptation doesn't look like it will be sakuga-rich or something.
Revan32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:07 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
What is she doing to her at 0:42?

After she dumps water on her, the MC acts as if she's cold and warms her hands on the villainess, freaking her out
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
Very excited to hear this, but I'm worried that they'll try to adapt all 5 volumes into 1 cour since the ln series is over.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:32 am Reply with quote
A Yuri spin on the Villainess genre? Seems cute and fun.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
I thought the first two LNs were good. A proper 12-13 episode adaptation of just those would be decent. I thought the third and fourth went off the boil, then the fifth goes some really weird places. I didn't actually hate the fifth, but my word it is strange.

And yeah, that trailer doesn't look great from a production point of view.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:55 am Reply with quote
Kind of expected that the animation was not going to be THAT good but I have waited for this series for a long time.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote
Can anyone point out what exactly pray tell is wrong with the animation? I don't see anything wrong with it, visuals look good to great. Sure basic in not a lot on screen at once but so what, doesn't have to have a buncha stuff in it. So, besides this, I am seriously confused on why so many are saying the animation looks bad etc.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Can anyone point out what exactly pray tell is wrong with the animation? I don't see anything wrong with it, visuals look good to great. Sure basic in not a lot on screen at once but so what, doesn't have to have a buncha stuff in it. So, besides this, I am seriously confused on why so many are saying the animation looks bad etc.

Basing on the PV there seems to be some perspective issues and awkward stillness for exemple :
-0:16 perspective is weird in the classroom
-0:22 Claire's clothes and front are moving while her drill don't.

That said such issues are far from rarity in animation, so long as those issue aren't excessively present and they only adapt the first arc, the anime should be popular enough.
randalthor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Certain people: "Japan doesn't care about gender politics!"
I'm in Love with the Villainess: "Allow me to introduce myself."

Anyway, I've read all 5 volumes of the novel and I'm looking forward to it.

The key word here is politics. The Japanese will produce anime with gay characters, but without the politics. The focus is on the characters and story. I find this refreshing.

In contrast, many American media companies feel the need to inject politics into almost every bit of entertainment they produce. Even if you agree with most of what they are preaching, it gets tiresome and repetitive hearing the same thing over and over. And sometimes, they take it too far, and it becomes cheesy, or even cringe.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:32 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Very excited to hear this, but I'm worried that they'll try to adapt all 5 volumes into 1 cour since the ln series is over.

I think at most they'll try to adapt the first two volumes over one cour since that's a decently good place to end it. Even that feels like a bit too much material for one cour, but whatever they decide to do, I hope it's well paced.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:57 pm Reply with quote
randalthor wrote:
Florete wrote:

The key word here is politics. The Japanese will produce anime with gay characters, but without the politics. The focus is on the characters and story. I find this refreshing.

In contrast, many American media companies feel the need to inject politics into almost every bit of entertainment they produce. Even if you agree with most of what they are preaching, it gets tiresome and repetitive hearing the same thing over and over. And sometimes, they take it too far, and it becomes cheesy, or even cringe.

The LNs have quite a bit of discussion of legalizing gay marriage if that's what you mean by politics.
Nev999

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
randalthor wrote:
Florete wrote:

The series discusses homophobia several times (and transphobia, more clumsily imo but that's not my lane) as well as class and some other stuff.

The main character even talks about how she plays up her own gayness as 'goofy' and connects it to how Japanese media portrays gay celebrities as jokes and the celebrities roll with it, and says that sometimes gay people will laugh at themselves first before anyone else can so they don't have to experience the sting of rejection. It's a really interesting spin on the 'goofy overbearing lesbian' trope- it doesn't excuse all her actions (and she is a goof) but you can see where she's coming from.So in this case 'politics' actually adds depth to a character that would be pretty tired otherwise.

Speaking from experience, when you're queer, people make your existence political whether you want it to be or not. People make wanting to destroy us their entire political platform, so just existing and living our lives becomes political. A lot of Yuri and BL and general queer manga will touch on politics these days, if you don't realize that, you must not actually read much. It isn't a western phenomenon. Just a small example, you'll see characters about how it sucks they can't get married, and some mangaka are even campaigning for marriage equality.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Kenfra wrote:
My condolences to fans of this series. Even the key visual looks bad.

It's always a gamble, but damn why did it have to be the Love is Kill staff? Mad

They're a good staff but sadly love of kill is a kadokawa title so the schedule was tight as usual.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
The main character even talks about how she plays up her own gayness as 'goofy' and connects it to how Japanese media portrays gay celebrities as jokes and the celebrities roll with it, and says that sometimes gay people will laugh at themselves first before anyone else can so they don't have to experience the sting of rejection. It's a really interesting spin on the 'goofy overbearing lesbian' trope- it doesn't excuse all her actions (and she is a goof) but you can see where she's coming from.So in this case 'politics' actually adds depth to a character that would be pretty tired otherwise.

In fact, the first edition of the English version removed that aspect. So much for Americans loving to inject politics at every opportunity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4