• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean Anime's 3rd, Final Part Launches on Netflix on December

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:07 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
At least it finishes this year. Now get the IP away from Netflix. The drop in production values and the bungled distribution proved catastrophic.

The drop in production quality - which is not even as big as you are implying it is - is not related to Netflix, it has more so do with other series and DP's inner workings, with Urusei Yatsura being a split 4-cour series and taking up most of their better staff possibly being the biggest reason.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:25 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
Yeah there's no basis for that whatsoever, as well as no reason why a deal would even work like that. It's the same nonsense as when idiots crawled to social media to voice how they wanted a Part 6 adaptation, as though there was any doubt this multimillion dollar franchise was going to continue.

From where I'm reading, the only idiot here is you. Also, there's a lot of info about the deal from Netflix to push and produce anime worldwide. I think it's just a question of reading that info. Are you capable of that???

That sure was a bunch of nothing. Can't wait for you to find the source on that, and to come up with any logical reason why Shueisha would only want to make a lot of money on adaptations of Parts 1 through 6, but stop without doing 7 too.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad we won't have to wait long for the conclusion. I'm eager to see how Jolyne's story concludes.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
First, I’m enjoying Stone Ocean intensely. Jolyene is one of my favorite leads, FF is one of my favorite JoJo characters period, and the Stand battles have all been entertaining. The voice acting and soundtrack have also been powerful.

Second, the binge model isn’t great for detailed discussion of each episode, but I’m sick to the teeth of people claiming it’s ruined the show. Stop exaggerating. The show itself is as good as any other JoJo part, if not better.

I don't think the binge model affects the quality of the show, but Netflix's unceremonious batch dump model does hurt the show's metrics and long-term visibility. Instead of seeing it discussed constantly over the course of three months, you get some reactions once and then nothing for a whole year. Heck, I'd been looking forward to the continuation and yet I didn't even know when they dumped it on the platform and even after finding out I completely forgot it was out because I never saw anyone talk about it.

I don't really understand why Netflix is so stubborn about this model when every other platform is sticking to the weekly releases and their shows are a topic of online conversation week after week after week, whereas apart from their big hitters like Stranger Things and Squid Game, most Netflix shows get dumped and forgotten in two-three weeks. Ofc I don't have Netflix's numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for Netflix's now infamous trend of cancelling shows after a single season wasn't also related to what a short-lived presence these shows have in online discussions
ssjtennis1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:56 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I don't really understand why Netflix is so stubborn about this model when every other platform is sticking to the weekly releases and their shows are a topic of online conversation week after week after week, whereas apart from their big hitters like Stranger Things and Squid Game, most Netflix shows get dumped and forgotten in two-three weeks. Ofc I don't have Netflix's numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for Netflix's now infamous trend of cancelling shows after a single season wasn't also related to what a short-lived presence these shows have in online discussions

I wouldn't mind if Netflix modified some releases for 2 or 3 episodes a week depending on the show since binging is harder these days. Could be that Netflix forecasts a huge hit to their subscriber base if they decided to change the release model and don't want to rock the boat. Their numbers probably also show that the vast majority do finish a show within a certain a short period of time to justify keeping it the way it is. I will occasionally see an article about how Netflix should change to weekly releases for their big hitters because customers are experiencing binge fatigue, but honestly don't see this big movement that the articles suggest outside of some die-hard anime fans.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:41 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
[but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for Netflix's now infamous trend of cancelling shows after a single season wasn't also related to what a short-lived presence these shows have in online discussions

If I had to fashion a guess many of these shows were likely canceled due to production costs and not being all that popular to justify continuing them.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
[but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for Netflix's now infamous trend of cancelling shows after a single season wasn't also related to what a short-lived presence these shows have in online discussions

If I had to fashion a guess many of these shows were likely canceled due to production costs and not being all that popular to justify continuing them.

My point being that maybe they'd have time to ramp up goodwill via word of mouth and attract more viewers if Netflix didn't unceremoniously dump them and and forsake them if they're not instant hits.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:49 am Reply with quote
I don’t think the batch streaming is as much the detriment to these shows as people make them it to be. Especially not when you have people who complain how weekly shows take too long to get to major plot developments and such.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:44 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I don't really understand why Netflix is so stubborn about this model when every other platform is sticking to the weekly releases and their shows are a topic of online conversation week after week after week, whereas apart from their big hitters like Stranger Things and Squid Game, most Netflix shows get dumped and forgotten in two-three weeks.
It worked for House of Cards(US), so they decided it would work well for all original and exclusive content. That's what they expect their audience to always be, people who come home from work/college and binge watch the latest season or show.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:01 am Reply with quote
I'll give them this much, at least we won't be waiting too long.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:20 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
At least it finishes this year. Now get the IP away from Netflix. The drop in production values and the bungled distribution proved catastrophic.

The drop in production quality - which is not even as big as you are implying it is - is not related to Netflix, it has more so do with other series and DP's inner workings, with Urusei Yatsura being a split 4-cour series and taking up most of their better staff possibly being the biggest reason.

also warner bros. and shueshia didn't give david pro. a decent schedule which what made the production rougher like with One Punch Man's second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2