• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Call of the Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Outrage only occurs when the sexes are reversed. Kinda like how if Kou was a 14 year old girl instead and Nazuna was instead a 40 year old male vampire it'd cause all sorts of uproar starting from the first episode.

As it probably would have if Nazuna were a 40 year old female vampire who looked her age instead of like a 14 year old. When you have to change more than one variable to make your argument work, it's not a very good argument.

Quote:
he's worried about romantic attraction potentially ruining the friendship he and Nazuna currently enjoy. ... I remember wrestling with those feelings back when I was a dumb teen too.

Being a "dumb teen" has nothing to do with it. That's a valid concern at any age. Romantic attraction often tends to kill friendships if it's one-sided.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I like the inhuman design of the nails as well.

Nazuna with her hair down as a great look too and a nice change compared to her usual look.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Outrage only occurs when the sexes are reversed. Kinda like how if Kou was a 14 year old girl instead and Nazuna was instead a 40 year old male vampire it'd cause all sorts of uproar starting from the first episode.

As it probably would have if Nazuna were a 40 year old female vampire who looked her age instead of like a 14 year old. When you have to change more than one variable to make your argument work, it's not a very good argument.

Quote:
he's worried about romantic attraction potentially ruining the friendship he and Nazuna currently enjoy. ... I remember wrestling with those feelings back when I was a dumb teen too.

Being a "dumb teen" has nothing to do with it. That's a valid concern at any age. Romantic attraction often tends to kill friendships if it's one-sided.
I mean, thats not really true. A very regular complaint about Mushoku Tensei was that "Rudeus is really 40" preying on pre-teens. I personally didn't feel like it was a good argument with the reincarnation thing, but the roles being reversed does alow something like Call of the Night to get away with stuff that people were slamming MT for.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but it turns out that spoiler[Nazuna is not 40] so that kinda puts a pin in all of this "reverse-pedo shit is ok because the reviewers aren't outraged lolol" you all are on about. Confused

And it honestly seems like Kou isn't going to do it, so....
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Yeah, but it turns out that spoiler[Nazuna is not 40] so that kinda puts a pin in all of this "reverse-pedo shit is ok because the reviewers aren't outraged lolol" you all are on about. Confused

And it honestly seems like Kou isn't going to do it, so....

spoiler[What's her age then since the wiki and other sites say 30-40.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:45 am Reply with quote
I think a lot of people can relate to Shirakawa's circumstances of being an overworked office worker caught between not only doing her job but having to cater to the absurd demands of her boss and the constant drinking and socializing that comes with the work...especially if you're not all that sociable. But that makes her and Ko two peas in a pod.

It's funny how Ko doesn't want to interact with people which is part of why he stopped going to school yet he keeps making connections with night owls.

I can see why Ko's perspective of embracing the freedom of the night and not worrying about societal obligations would feel so tempting...especially seeing how hard Shirakawa took it when she saw her boss was calling her...even if it doesn't hold up to reality. But I guess that's the kind of perspective someone in the prime of their youth might have.

So it seems like Ko is planning to add Shirakawa to his future Vampire Harem? Now the boy is self-aware he's popular with women.

(Also, would they really just use Yoko Hikasa as a one-off character?).

The perfect place to take a young boy struggling to contain his libido around his vampire girlfriend...a nighttime pool with a bunch of sexy adults in swimsuits! And they made sure to show off the girls in bikini's .

Pretty surreal to have the actual artists of every theme of your show hitting on your female lead, but at least they took it well when Ko grabbed her and ran .

Who needs a public pool when you can have a private pool party for tow in Ko's school pool? I guess that counts as him going back to school.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:45 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I think a lot of people can relate to Shirakawa's circumstances of being an overworked office worker caught between not only doing her job but having to cater to the absurd demands of her boss and the constant drinking and socializing that comes with the work...especially if you're not all that sociable. But that makes her and Ko two peas in a pod.

It's funny how Ko doesn't want to interact with people which is part of why he stopped going to school yet he keeps making connections with night owls.

I can see why Ko's perspective of embracing the freedom of the night and not worrying about societal obligations would feel so tempting...especially seeing how hard Shirakawa took it when she saw her boss was calling her...even if it doesn't hold up to reality. But I guess that's the kind of perspective someone in the prime of their youth might have.

Adulthood: Not what you thought it was when you weren't one.

I respect the decision not to take the easy out here and have Ko "save" Shirakawa simply through a desire to and youthful ignorance. Ko himself is still looking for a magic bullet to excuse him from all life's inconveniences, and he believes it to be vampirism. Shirakawa knows that reality is not so easily evaded (as does Nazuna for the most part). Though the fact Ko would try to offer a release is enough to take the edge off a little, and that's enough.

Poor Ko, so confused at the pool. His tiny teenage mind pulling in every direction possible simultaneously.

As cool as the final visual was, they kinda messed up by giving Nazuna a reflection (despite in the previous shot having her not reflecting in the water as she bit him)
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:51 am Reply with quote
I thought it was the promised kiss. Lots of skin contact in that scene.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
As cool as the final visual was, they kinda messed up by giving Nazuna a reflection (despite in the previous shot having her not reflecting in the water as she bit him)

To be fair, they were matching the manga panel with that shot. Though, I agree that it is odd when it is already established that she has no reflection.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
It could be possible that Nazuna doesn't have a reflection in mirrors, but does when it comes to naturally reflective surfaces such as calm water.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote
I'm confused about Nazuna's age - the Wiki's say she's 40 but other sources refer to her being a teenager spoiler[ The other female Vampires - that kidnap Kou]

I've read the source up to currently translated chapters and it's never made clear or I've missed it, is it more Vampire lore that's not been explained properly?

Do we have to assume that because Vampires are immortals they age slowly or stop aging once they've been "Turned"? It's already been hinted at that they're designed to be attractive to their "prey". Which would explain Nazuna's aesthetics.

Also it's stated that for a human to become a Vampire you have to be in love with one and then get bitten - so who turned Nazuna when she seems to be as clueless about love as Kou is? spoiler[ I know the answer to this but.......]
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:49 am Reply with quote
Mina Tepes in Dance in the Vampire Bund is hundreds of years old yet looks like she's eleven.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I guess the Creepy Nuts cameo explains why they were so chill about her turning them down. Usually such characters are, well, creepy nuts who don't take rejection well. Smile
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess the Creepy Nuts cameo explains why they were so chill about her turning them down. Usually such characters are, well, creepy nuts who don't take rejection well. Smile

The manga was similar.
Quote:
Guy 1: Heh, so she does have a guy!
Guy 2: He should keep an eye on her.
Guy 3: Sucks to be us...
(panel 2)
Shared thought: Dammit! Good luck, kid!

Probably the first time I've seen guys in fiction gracefully giving up in this situation.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:
I'm confused about Nazuna's age - the Wiki's say she's 40 but other sources refer to her being a teenager spoiler[ The other female Vampires - that kidnap Kou]

Wikis that anyone can edit are notoriously bad sources for things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7