• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Resident Evil Netflix Series Name Drops Deca-Dence Anime, Nyaa Torrent Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:35 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I honestly couldn't believe they actually mentioned nyaa. Like, it's a real-life anime torrenting site where you can also find, you know, the shows Netflix OWNS which you'd think they don't want people to pirate... I just don't understand what they're trying to accomplish here, whether it be in real life or in the show's context.

But hey, now nyaa will become even more well-known. Good job there, service-I-certainly-am-not-going-to-paying-for.

That is what I was thinking. Since Umbrella is notoriously villainous, it sort of positions blocking a torrent site as some sort of evil thing to do. I guess if I were the rights holder to Deca-dence, I wouldn't exactly appreciate the name drop coming in the same breath as implying that "torrenting is cool." It's just a weird thing for a streaming service to have in one of its shows.
lomez

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:21 pm Reply with quote
How do you do, fellow kids.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

So I guess having the hacker be skilled at anime piracy is at least a step up from that.

The former at least presents something resembling skills beyond those of an average person, even if it's ultimately nonsensical. This presents being able to use google and click on a website as "advanced".

No, see, what Simon really pulled off here is that he knows how to set up a VPN, an incredibly simple process which is so mainstream that it's advertised at the end of like 2/3rds of all Youtube videos, but he successfully convinced his coworkers that this counts as him defeating a firewall. Simon's true ability is exaggerating his own talents, a valuable skill in any workplace. He'll go far in this job! (or maybe the zombies will eat him, I dunno.)
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Let along that the script writer unintentionally (or intentionally considering this level of a writing skill) mentioning the show that copyrighted not by Netflix, but competitive streaming service, which make the whole situation even worse.

If we were being extremely charitable, we could say that the terrible pronunciation of "Nyaa" was them avoiding potential lawsuits from telling people how to illegally download their competitor's product. Clearly they were referring to the fictitious website "Nayatorrent"*, and any similarity with real filesharing services is entirely coincidental.

*Once part of the equally fictitious Alaratorrent until it splintered into five sites after the admins had a falling-out.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:
The whole point of these adaptations is to immerse your self in the world and story, seperate from reality. A fictional universe the creator concieved. Why the hell would you mention Nya torrents and anime in a resident evil adaptation? I am so sick of these modern tv shows trying to intermix modern stuff into our shows.

This is just as bad as the lord of the rings adaptation where one of the characters says something like "I want to explore a fantastical world of all imaginging" yearning for adventure but yet Tolkien concieved the middle earth to be there reality, its not a god damn isekai, holy shit. I am tried of popular works and properties like this being completly destroyed and just being exploited for financial gain.

.....what? Do you even know what you're on about?

Just because RE is fiction, it still takes place in a modern day setting.....on planet Earth? lol.

This is such a silly, weird, nonsensical take.

Same with your gripe with Lord of the Rings because to you, apparently certain words can't be used even in Tolkien's fantasy world regardless of the context. Confused
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Surprised ANN directly mentioned Nyaa. Like there were the articles on KissAnime, but that was only after the site was gone so people couldn't use it. Isn't it frowned upon here to directly name active pirate sites, even if one isn't directly linking to them?

Interesting they referenced a two year old anime that is on multiple platforms and widely available by legal means. Also interesting that a Netflix series directly namedropped the very site many use for shows they license and then don't simulcast. Fansubs have massively declined in popularity in the simulcast era, except for shows that don't get simulcast.

Also how do these people even know what Nyaa is? Many younger anime fans have never heard of torrents, much less know how to use them. If they sail the high seas, it's typically through illegal streaming sites with rips of legal streams, and said sites will have malware, ransomware, popups, adblock blockers (IIRC, I remember people saying KissAnime wouldn't let you watch anything if you had an adblocker on), and even crypto mining. Also said illegal streaming sites will rarely have the Blu-ray versions of simulcast titles, unlike legal services and the torrent site that was just namedropped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:45 am Reply with quote
I've never heard of a vpn, nyaa.si or even what a torrent is-and if believe what I just said then you're a bigger fool than I could have ever imagined.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:27 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
"Simon's like, the only one who could get around the firewall."

In older movies they would always establish which character was "the hacker" by having them type gibberish into a command line prompt at incredible speeds, accomplishing nothing.

So I guess having the hacker be skilled at anime piracy is at least a step up from that.

You would be surprised how much of Gen Z is technologically challenged in some areas. Growing up with smartphones where they only know how to do things via appes that are regulated by Google/Apple storefronts means a lot of people don't know how to work with computers or devices beyond that. Torrenting can be seen as complicated to someone who only knows how to watch shows through a streaming app.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:30 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:

Also said illegal streaming sites will rarely have the Blu-ray versions of simulcast titles, unlike legal services and the torrent site that was just namedropped.
they almost have any bluray . where did u get that from ?
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, even I was surprised to hear a reference to this anime, of all things…
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:12 am Reply with quote
@ASAnime6 wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:

Also said illegal streaming sites will rarely have the Blu-ray versions of simulcast titles, unlike legal services and the torrent site that was just namedropped.

First of all let me give a disclaimer-I'm not endorsing or condoning streaming, torrenting, downloading or any similar illegal activities of anime, manga etc. But nyaa.si and other sites have a surprising amount of japanese and american bdmvs, dvd isos, both dvd and bluray remuxs, music osts and almost anything else you could imagine. Please be good little boys and girls and get your anime, manga etc. legally-in other words-BUY IT.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:52 pm Reply with quote
@ASAnime6 wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:

On HIDIVE and FUNimation, for most shows that have been out for a while and were released on Blu-ray in the west, you'll have the option of the broadcast version and the uncut home video version. On torrent sites, you'll see the Blu-ray versions as well as fansubbers will sub those versions of shows, often just mostly reusing the subs used on the broadcast masters with tweaks. Most fansubs for over two decades have been distributed through torrents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I pronounce Nyaa "nee-ah", and I don't feel bad about it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:03 am Reply with quote
I pronounce it ny-aa-MEOW!!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:51 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
This presents being able to use google and click on a website as "advanced".

My thoughts exactly. At least mention a bit of VPN Wink

I'm struggling to get far into the RE show, but for all its poor writing, this isn't really what the scene says. It portrays sneaking around Umbrella's firewall as an unusual skillset for a kid, not googling for pirate anime sites and clicking on them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2