• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How DARLING in the FRANXX Inspired a New York Times Bestselling YA Novel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know there was much in the way of "mainstream" English-language mecha novels. Knew of these before on the indie scene: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NYXYZ8Z
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:28 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Didn't know there was much in the way of "mainstream" English-language mecha novels. Knew of these before on the indie scene: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NYXYZ8Z

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is The United States of Japan, which is The Man in the High Castle from a Japanese perspective, and the item showing the "correct" timeline is a video game and not film. Also, giant robots, right on the cover.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I must be psychic; I saw the title of the article, looked at my just-arrived copy of Iron Widow and thought, “huh, wouldn’t it be funny if it was that book?” Laughing
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:04 am Reply with quote
After reading this article, I decided to borrow a copy of the book from my library. Actually, I decided to go ahead and borrow a copy because the book was already on my list of books I wanted to read.

I'm glad I did because the book is absolutely amazing. Basically, the only thing I could tell was inspired by Darling in the FRANXX was the mecha design. And even then, the only thing was the piloting mechanism. Everything else had completely different inspirations.

And the author made the world so unique that I wouldn't have even known that they were inspired by Darling in the FRANXX if it weren't for this article and the afterword where they talked about their inspirations.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:56 am Reply with quote
[gleeful] Mx. Zhao is one of my new favorite authors, and I'm thrilled to see them featured here. For everyone who liked, loved, or just said "Hey, not bad," to "Iron Widow," the sequel "Heavenly Tyrant" should be arriving next year!
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:00 am Reply with quote
After reading the author's synopsis, all I could think of was the Beatles' Paperback Writer:

Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book?
It took me years to write, will you take a look?
It's based on a novel by a man named Lear
And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer
Paperback writer

(For those of you who may be too young to know who the Beatles were.)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:24 am Reply with quote
^^Wow! You were alive back then?? Anime dazed An actual quote of a 20-something secretary to me in the late '80's. Oh, yeah, I'm that old too...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2