• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hasbro Appoints Chris Cocks as CEO

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Ayoooooooooo!! I know it's juvenile, but *I'm laughing hard as hell at this
Derpinat0rz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
omg i needed this today
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:24 pm Reply with quote
My parents knew someone called Richard Head........

Anyway good luck to Chris, seems he already has a hurdle in front of him..........
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Jokes about the name aside, I wonder what he could bring to the company.

This is basically what the reaction from the Magic: the Gathering community has been about this news, as far as I understand it:

He's considered responsible for many of the division-wide changes that led to Wizards of the Coast taking in $1 billion in 2021 on Magic: the Gathering and D&D:

- the shift away from difficult to broadcast, in-person "pro tour" Magic tournaments, and towards the much more streamer-friendly Magic: Arena digital app (which coincidentally put them in a much better place to handle what COVID did to in-store tabletop game tournaments)

- the heavy focus on entry-level D&D products that could be stocked in Walmart, and tie-ins between D&D/Magic and big IPs like Stranger Things, Godzilla, and The Walking Dead (with Street Fighter, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer 40k, and Fortnite coming next year)

- a far greater focus on the Japanese Magic market, with anime-style variant art that would only be available on Japanese-language cards

- more experimentation with art and card variants in general, along the grounds that it is cool to open neat-looking cards in packs and play with them in games, regardless of how confusing it is to collect

- a much more aggressive reprint policy, coupled with a removal of MSRP from products, leading to booster packs and boxes from different sets sometimes having dramatically different pricing in stores based on whether they contain cards that were previously going for $50+ each

- an accelerated release schedule for products (it can't be overstated just how many more new Magic cards have been released in the past two years than in any previous period in the franchise's history)

- a greater focus on direct, FOMO-oriented sales, with about 50 limited-time mini-expansions for Magic (often 4-5 fixed cards priced at $30-40) in 2021

I've heard it described as "stuff that Wizards always knew would sell really well, but never pulled the trigger on because they thought it would 'anger the player base' and 'threaten the integrity of the brand'". Cocks basically took the approach that it didn't matter whether places like Reddit were outraged at these new changes, because they were all things that casual fans and the most financially-invested fans (i.e. "whales") could be expected to consistently love.
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel oddly proud that we're all thinking the same thing here lol
BL00DYKILLS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:05 pm Reply with quote
CHRIS WHAT
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the laugh. I really needed that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2