• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Please Tell Me! Galko-chan Manga Serialization Suspended After Creator's Arrest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
No she's not at all, but given the creator was outspoken against that kind of material and yet imported these "photo books" is IRONIC.

I assume you have a source for that and not just a rumor?

I thought it was brought up in the last thread, although I could be wrong and jumped the gun a bit.. regardless i'm still not over the initial shock of the creator doing this. Nor am I over the fact how easy it was for him to buy said CSEM material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
No she's not at all, but given the creator was outspoken against that kind of material and yet imported these "photo books" is IRONIC.

I assume you have a source for that and not just a rumor?

I thought it was brought up in the last thread, although I could be wrong and jumped the gun a bit.. regardless i'm still not over the initial shock of the creator doing this. Nor am I over the fact how easy it was for him to buy said CSEM material.

Don't worry, average Japanese would be even more shocked if they knew how easy it is to obtain illegal drugs over here and how said offenders get off with a slap in the wrist at best, at worst they get their own series in HBO. BTW, I hope you wont give me the "illegal drugs are a victimless crime", because I read all about said nonexistent victims in the local news on a daily basis.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hearing about this brought to mind this positive review of the Galko-chan anime by Crunchyroll user autobanned, which I read before I watched it. (Great show.)
https://www.crunchyroll.com/user/autobanned/reviews

Quote:
As a woman, i can tell you that all of the slightly raunchy conversations that happen in Galko-chan are conversations that felt natural and nostalgic to me. Everything from talking about the best way to deal with your period to wondering about your "first time". It harkened back to my time as a teenage girl, trying to maneuver life and love and growing up. Compared to some anime it's bluntness might seem raunchy or unnatural but I assure you there are teen girls all over the world having these same conversations.

The last thing I'll touch on is the cast of classmates that grows as the series progresses. Never have I seen such a sympathetic cast of ladies with diverse interests and body types. None of them ever have much screen time but even then i can still feel enamoured to them just because of the whip smart writing and dedication to portraying "real" girls.

The manga/show's focus on biological realities is unusual in anime, which tends to prefer a sanitized fantasy portrayal of women. (Another memorable exception is Joshikousei: Girl's High.) For quite a while after it aired, one of the top reviews on MAL was a troll piece attacking the show for being "propaganda" intended to convert otaku from 2D women to "disgusting 3D," for the purpose of combating population decline. That review has been deleted, but here's a thread to the same effect. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1716690

My point being, in the end apparently this author would have been better off preferring sanitized fantasy 2D over real human beings.
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
What will happen to Suzuki's assistants if he convicted? Question
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:24 pm Reply with quote
EleutheroMaster wrote:

A second question could be questioning if they would want to continue working for him. People think that the reason Act-Age was canceled as hard as it was was because the artist refused to continue working on it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Hearing about this brought to mind this positive review of the Galko-chan anime by Crunchyroll user autobanned, which I read before I watched it. (Great show.)

Not too sure what you meant by your point at the end there in your post, but just goes to show that you can't judge a crafter by their craftwork. A great work got tainted by its author...

Sewingrose wrote:
EleutheroMaster wrote:

A second question could be questioning if they would want to continue working for him. People think that the reason Act-Age was canceled as hard as it was was because the artist refused to continue working on it.

Nothing will happen with the assistants. They will go freelancer/independent or start as assistants for some other mangaka, likely.

And no, Galko-chan will not continue, with or without assistants, unlike Act-Age both art and script were handled by Kenya and he will very likely be a persona non grata for a long, long time in the industry.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

Though if I recall correctly, she was picked up to do advertising artwork almost two weeks after the mangaka she was working for got arrested, so it’s not like her art wasn’t in high demand. I don’t think assistants are assigned guilt by association, if that’s what you’re worrying about.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Suzuki stated upon his arrest that he "desperately wanted to acquire nude photos of foreign children that cannot be acquired in Japan.

While what he did was indeed wrong, i doubt this is his real words. Like in Japan you can get arrested by the police and not allow to meet an attorney so people who have weak mentaiity can break under pressure and confess anything the police told them to.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
This one legitimately pissed me off when I heard the news a few weeks ago.

I really liked the Galko anime and since starting my freelance position with This Week In Anime in November of 2020 I put a lot of effort into tracking down and buying all of the manga (a bit of a challenge, the older books are out-of-print in the US). I was very excited for the sixth volume due out later this week.

I'm furious that my money has gone to such a sham of a man, and I'm heartbroken that every happy memory I have associated with this show is now punctuated with such disgusting news. Breaks my heart, but I won't be supporting this series moving forward, regardless of whether or not Seven Seas keeps it up. A pity, because no doubt a lot of love went into its localization.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:19 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
I was very excited for the sixth volume due out later this week.

As far as I'm aware, the series went out hiatus before the 6th volume ever came out in Japan (a very quick search shows that it never did). I know the US release date was still for this month, but I think that was just an old place holder.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:17 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
I guess this gives Seven Seas a reason to stop releasing and selling the manga.

Unless otherwise, the series is still listed on their site (for now), and Seven Seas has yet to answer to ANN regarding the matter.

I would assume Seven Seas will do something about it eventually. Similar to how Viz did for RK (Outside the original and Restoration versions still listed. But any of its newer stuff, like the Hokkaido Arc, were removed.) and Act-Age (removed entirely off their site).
omegafinal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:01 am Reply with quote
Makes me wonder if Seven Seas is working with the original publisher behind the scenes to break it off as professionally as possible. Just speculation.

And will also share in the frustration on how I just loved this anime series. It just felt..."real" for a lack of better word. Only got the first volume years ago, but haven't purchased another one, since I just frequent the Newbury Comics at the mall I work at, and I don't think they've carried the other volumes given how unique and unusual it looked. Really enjoyed this "ballpoint" artstyle.

It's a shame it all came down to this. I guess I'll just say: "Loved the series, but good bye and get the hell out."
Megumi Chisato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:48 am Reply with quote
It's really annoying how the series always gets punished when their creators screw up. Not only will the production be suspended or stopped, people now treat it like some kind of taboo material by association.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
Glad they’re taking it seriously.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
I'm furious that my money has gone to such a sham of a man, and I'm heartbroken that every happy memory I have associated with this show is now punctuated with such disgusting news. Breaks my heart, but I won't be supporting this series moving forward, regardless of whether or not Seven Seas keeps it up. A pity, because no doubt a lot of love went into its localization.

Probably not much solace, but I remember finding a comic (I think it was a translated Korean manhwa) where the author had a note of thanks under the cover thanking the buyer for purchasing the volume and it noted how much money they received for the buyer's purchase. I can't remember the exact amount, but it was horribly small (like valued in pennies). If that amount still was roughly true for a series like Galko-chan, you could have bought the artist a cup of coffee and that would probably have given him more monetary value than having bought every single translated volume released. In short, if you gave a homeless man pocket change you were probably giving out more money than the author would obtain when you bought a volume. So again it's not much solace, but most of that money for each volume isn't going to the author.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3