• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does it Hold Up? Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moses34

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
Ignoring the whole "not understanding Catcher in the Rye" bit (and calling a teenager immature, big shocker) which seems to be extremely common,
Quote:
When we do get similar aesthetic combinations to these in SAC, we're usually venturing into more unsavory parts of town. As a result, this dichotomy becomes less reflective of the society as a whole, and more specifically tied to Japan's criminal elements and underclass, inadvertently reducing its overall effectiveness.

This is where it lost me. There's nothing more reflective of the society than a bunch of generic places with high-tech stuff right next door to slums with a lot of bootleg-y tech for "the rest". Forget SAC, or even GITS in general, that has been a staple of cyberpunk and dystopian works for... pretty much the entire time the genre's existed. You can look at any third world country in South America (hello) and notice the same divide. It doesn't stop and tell you "wow look there's all this technology but the poor parts of town still exist" because it doesn't need to, when it can just casually show you that and let it speak for itself.
The world in SAC isn't falling apart, but it sure as hell is standing on stitches. I thought that was obvious for most people, but I guess not.

Quote:
The rest of the show is just meaningless cyberpunk junk to me compared to this one thing but to get the core theme wrong is the dumbest thing an adaptation can do. The theme is in the title, how the hell do you bungle writing that much?!

No writing was bungled, there's just no need for the show to repeat what the movie did when the manga was filled to the brim with other concepts in the world. Why would you want the TV show to be 12 episodes covering the exact same thing as the movie with worse quality, more filler, and ending the same way without anything else explored?
Not just that but SAC's stand alone episodes basically use the manga's chapters as a guide, to the point where going through the franchise again some years back I found myself pulling up chapters more often than not and thinking "hey, there it is". The full guide expands upon it even more.
I feel like you wanted one thing from it, again (in worse quality), and rejected everything else presented to you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2