• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Detective Conan Spinoff Anime Zero's Tea Time, The Culprit Hanzawa Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrillerMystery

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Nobody will dub this since it is not popular outside of Japan (well, it's not popular enough worldwide anyway). Anyway to answer your question it's been since August 16th 2004. It was episode 49.

Except Vietnam and Germany (especially the former). Conan is pretty big in those regions from what I hear.

Primus wrote:
Funimation dubbed the first 130 episodes of Conan. Cartoon Network only aired the first 49, but the rest saw a DVD release ending in 2009.

Actually 123, since some of the episodes we're half-hour specials. And didn't Adult Swim air the series?

LegitPancake wrote:
I’m glad “Detective Conan” is finally official in English countries rather than the stupid “Case Closed” title.

Don't know why everyone seems to hate the English title. I, for one, am already used to it being used for official Conan material.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
ThrillerMystery wrote:

Except Vietnam and Germany (especially the former). Conan is pretty big in those regions from what I hear..

I think when they said "nobody", they are referring to English dubs. Conan is a LOT more popular outside of English-speaking regions. There is a dub in Chinese and Spanish, both are pretty complete comparatively.

ThrillerMystery wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
I’m glad “Detective Conan” is finally official in English countries rather than the stupid “Case Closed” title.

Don't know why everyone seems to hate the English title. I, for one, am already used to it being used for official Conan material.

When I first found out about the title in English, it felt cheesy. But I would never say I hate the title. The problem was that in the Japanese title, there is an English "translation" of the title already. But Funimation was too scared of any kind of lawsuits coming their way (call them paranoid if you want, but they were a much smaller company back in the early 2000s ), so they opted to just use a completely different title. I think people are angry with this instead, the fact the Funimation had a choice but chose the more corporate response.

No spoilers, but by the end of the Bourbon Arc, I am perfectly find calling the franchise Case Closed in English, because it means something now. In fact, I think this title is a great take on the franchise.

Sorry to disappoint the original commenter though, TMS is still marketing is as Case Closed: the Scarlet Bullet on their official press release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2