• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Posts Opening Credits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This opening does not look good. A few things I noticed:

1. The color grading that they've done does not look good. The colors look washed out. For the clips of the extended cast that they've added, they've simply added a very heavy-handed orange/blue highlight and shadow coloring, which looks amateurish and doesn't fit with the rest of the opening. Even the shots of the main cast look like they were shot in really generic lighting and then edited to death in post. Also, some shots look weirdly out of focus??

2. The clips of the extended cast clearly weren't shot for the opening, but seem to be taken from footage shot for later in the movie. They don't fit with the vibe of the OP at all; this is not a trailer, we don't need to see the extended cast doing random unrelated stuff

3. They cut out a lot of shots of spacecraft. And the spacecraft models they do have in their look pretty bad. I think cutting out those shots gives a much more generic cyberpunk feel the trailer. You don't really get much in the way of "space" vibes

4. It's just not snappy. The timing seems really off.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, since everyone here has been rather negative about this, I’ll be the first to say this actually looks pretty good.

I’m glad they went with the original OP so since it is classic a pretty much the official theme song.

It’s also neat that they did their own thing and not try to copy the OP sequence shot for shot.
Hope the rest of the series turns out great.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I...I... I just don't know. I don't think they are going out into left field but something just feels off but at the same time like I might have fun watching this for different reasons. Here's to hoping to seeing more about Spike and Julia's past. Probably the only thing that kept the show from being a perfect show for me.
neptun1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Did they eliminate Ed? I think they eliminate Ed.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest... I kinda like this. Perhaps I just have low standards or I'm in a particularly good mood but this honestly has quite some charm to it. It may feel cheap, but I get the feeling that's one purpose.

I'll certainly give the show a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I'll be honest... I kinda like this. Perhaps I just have low standards or I'm in a particularly good mood but this honestly has quite some charm to it. It may feel cheap, but I get the feeling that's one purpose.

I'll certainly give the show a chance.

I kind of agree. I am still skeptical, but it looks...fun. I was scared they were going to act like Bebop is only Ballad of fallen angels and Jupiter Jazz, that it is this super mature, violent, dark story. When in reality Bebop has a great mix of seriousness and light hearted stuff. I wonder if it will be tv-14. I expected it to be really edgy, but they might be aiming it towards multiple ages like the original anime. Not exactly family friendly, but about as bad as any other marvel or big budget action film.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty funny, I enjoyed it.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
neptun1 wrote:

They did confirm ed is in the show but are keeping the story behind ed and who's they cast a secret. They must have some surprise in store there.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
It looks pretty much what I expected a live action Bebop to look like. I just don't have much to say about it. I am also glad though it looks like they're covering the stand alone episode as honestly those were my favorite episodes in the anime.

Quote:
Ed doesn't show up in the anime till like episode 9.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It looks pretty much what I expected a live action Bebop to look like. I just don't have much to say about it. I am also glad though it looks like they're covering the stand alone episode as honestly those were my favorite episodes in the anime.

Quote:
Ed doesn't show up in the anime till like episode 9.

That's true, but they also are showing teddy bomber, Pierrot, and other characters that don't appear until way later. Either Ed is gone, or they are deliberately hiding her.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

That's true, but they also are showing teddy bomber, Pierrot, and other characters that don't appear until way later. Either Ed is gone, or they are deliberately hiding her.
I assume this is going to be like most Netflix shows and s1 will be like six or seven hour long episodes and they haven't casted Ed yet.
charliepanayi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
They're not going to do a Cowboy Bebop without Ed guys, she's one of the main characters (what reason would they have for getting rid of her aside from not wanting to deal with child labour laws I guess), so either she'll be in it or they'll introduce her in season 2 (just kidding, they'll tease her appearance at the end of season 1 and then cancel the show)
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
About what I expected,which looks like a medicore Netflix production.Some shots look good,but a lot of it just comes off goofy and cheap looking (mainly the shots of them running). Also looks like their doing adaptations of episodes,which seems even more pointless. Even lower expectations now but even if it's terrible,I could just rewatch the original.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't like it.

I mean... I like the idea... and if I were doing this show I would've attempted the same thing... but the execution here leaves a lot to be desired. I agree with the idea that it would've been better to have it traditionally animated but using the actor's likenesses as the character designs. You can't imitate that snappy stylish sleek animation with live-action movement.

Interesting to see a few new things in there. I have a feeling that the opening changes with each episode to foreshadow what's in it. So when Ed is finally introduced they'll include her in the OP.

Interesting that they're adapting latter episodes from the show in this season. Should be alright I guess since many episodes are standalone. Mad Pierrot though is gonna be something... I think I'd be more interested in the new content they are planning.

I also wonder if they plan on adapting the 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' movie.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
neptun1 wrote:

They did confirm ed is in the show but are keeping the story behind ed and who's they cast a secret. They must have some surprise in store there.

Makes me think they chose something controversial for her story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6