• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Koikimo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
manapear wrote:
And even then, I think the criticism that women could have drank the cool-aid and that shows a bias in what they feel is fantasy is kinda key. If a woman is so indoctrinated in systemic issues that she doesn't see how they're bad, wouldn't she replicate them thinking they're something she should also desire?

I understand you meant well, but... please consider that this comment is very loaded with a lot of unfortunate implications and is a common SWERF talking point. It's one thing to say that the story is not well-written in your perspective but it's another thing to imply "women aren't having the right kind of fantasies and it's because they were brainwashed!"

I avoid SWERFs with everything I can, so I don't know what they're saying and it compares to what I said, but as a WoC, we also have these kind of convos about how other fans of color may replicate racist and very unfortunate stereotypes in their fiction. For instance, Black fans that also engage in very fetishized, slave play and the like. There's room to say these people can do what they want and explore things how they like, but if they start publishing harmful depictions that are rooted in something and continue to be a factor in a group's marginalization, that's something to critique and point out.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Ming Yi wrote:
manapear wrote:
And even then, I think the criticism that women could have drank the cool-aid and that shows a bias in what they feel is fantasy is kinda key. If a woman is so indoctrinated in systemic issues that she doesn't see how they're bad, wouldn't she replicate them thinking they're something she should also desire?

I understand you meant well, but... please consider that this comment is very loaded with a lot of unfortunate implications and is a common SWERF talking point. It's one thing to say that the story is not well-written in your perspective but it's another thing to imply "women aren't having the right kind of fantasies and it's because they were brainwashed!"

I avoid SWERFs with everything I can, so I don't know what they're saying and it compares to what I said, but as a WoC, we also have these kind of convos about how other fans of color may replicate racist and very unfortunate stereotypes in their fiction. For instance, Black fans that also engage in very fetishized, slave play and the like. There's room to say these people can do what they want and explore things how they like, but if they start publishing harmful depictions that are rooted in something and continue to be a factor in a group's marginalization, that's something to critique and point out.

I understand. I just think with this sort of statement applied to the subject in particular, maybe it's better to discuss this with Asians who grew up in Asia to understand why these depictions are common, why they find them appealing, and their views on the consumption of problematic themes, instead of simplifying it to "they drank the cool-Aid." That sort of statement veers dangerously into a SWERF argument made to morally shame certain female fantasies and call Asian countries "backwards."

As another user pointed out, the popularity of age gap stories for women is probably due to the appeal of how an older, working man is seen as more mature and financially stable. Regardless, the story's content needed better execution. Apparently, this comic started out as a series of uploads on the author's Pixiv account until it got so popular it got picked up by Ichijinsha. I don't think the author intended it to get as big as it did. It kind of reminds me of how a lot of people know Ogeretsu Tanaka for Yarichin Bitch Club when they originally posted it as a parody on Pixiv until it got a publishing deal (which is a shame because their more professional works are really good, IMHO).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
From my perspective, in comparing the reception to Higehiro versus Koikimo, the former was received more positively than the latter initially but over time Koikimo seemed to win more people over while Higehiro started to lose some of its audience due to story decisions. I also feel like, of the two, Koikimo was the more straightforward romance series in-spite of the age-gap dynamic.

Personally I enjoyed both series.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
manapear wrote:

I understand. I just think with this sort of statement applied to the subject in particular, maybe it's better to discuss this with Asians who grew up in Asia to understand why these depictions are common, why they find them appealing, and their views on the consumption of problematic themes, instead of simplifying it to "they drank the cool-Aid." That sort of statement veers dangerously into a SWERF argument made to morally shame certain female fantasies and call Asian countries "backwards."

As another user pointed out, the popularity of age gap stories for women is probably due to the appeal of how an older, working man is seen as more mature and financially stable. Regardless, the story's content needed better execution. Apparently, this comic started out as a series of uploads on the author's Pixiv account until it got so popular it got picked up by Ichijinsha. I don't think the author intended it to get as big as it did. It kind of reminds me of how a lot of people know Ogeretsu Tanaka for Yarichin Bitch Club when they originally posted it as a parody on Pixiv until it got a publishing deal (which is a shame because their more professional works are really good, IMHO).

I've seen a good number of discussions on it, across the diaspora, but I'm not Asian and I won't speak for them. I feel like I sometimes see joseimuke fans having these discussions on Twitter, and I don't use many other sites that Japanese people use for social media to really follow it there, but I guess if one really wanted to dig deeper, the convo is out there.

I like age gap myself, and I tend to enjoy it in shojo, josei and TL alike. And I have seen the trend of age gap going both directions more often lately, but only with mild commentary on the shift. But I think like all things, it comes down to the handling. And people of a marginalized group can be just as guilty as perpetuating problems, regardless of why they indulge it, and it shouldn't be free of criticism. Especially if it's reaching a wider audience and available to the public, it should always be examined.

I can't say how big the author intended or wanted their series to become, but a lot of the TL artists I follow on Pixiv tend to have their work posted there in chapter segments, and it tends to go published if it's not already, like with other shojo that's not smut. It seems like the way to get an in for shojo especially (since niche and mainstream publishers focus on their shonen/seinen lines more), but I'm sure there are plenty of artists who don't intend for their work to grow so far beyond them.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:47 am Reply with quote
And here I am having watched both Higehiro and Koikimo, and think both a gross and suck
The13thSon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
I don't completely agree with the author on this one.
I've seen guys/girls IRL who could get "any girl/guy" (had options, since so many liked them) and they went for the one who disagreed with them a lot --- It's a large part of human nature to want to be challenged.
I, myself, fell for a girl who was looking for a challenge, and I wasn't challenging enough - simple as that - she ended up going for guys who were, in my eyes, "not worthy", but ultimately people like to be challenged.
For a hot playboy (as they make him seem from the first scene in ep1), to be rejected and called 'gross' is pretty hot - I don't think it, in any way, is far-fetched. If it doesn't completely make sense, go check the reason nice guys finish last by Jordan Petersen.
Age-gap and "awkward" relationships are not uncommon in Japan/Asian countries - and were pretty common in the Western world till the 1950s. A LOT of JDramas have that as the running feature - I quite enjoy it. I mean, even my parents are 16 years apart. I think it was denormalised in Western culture after sometime, but it's pretty prevalent in Eastern culture.

But my thoughts on the anime - considering my opinions above - I thought it was pretty great. I agree with the author - the BGM was pretty forgettable, and the artwork wasn't a-m-a-z-i-n-g either, but it didn't have to be - I felt overall the story was good.
A lot of the bases currently running on most animes in 2020/2021, has been "What If" --- what if I got died a horrible death and was reborn as a slime/powerful witch/tree/ etc OR I randomly got teleported to a fantasy/parallel world, and they made me a slave/king/warrior/hero/etc --- if you consider it as a "what if an older well paid salaryman fell for a girl he was legally not allowed to date" it is pretty interesting, not considering that it's pretty normalised in Eastern culture.

It's definitely not an anime I'm going to rewatch, and I'm a romance freak - but it was quite enjoyable as a romance and watching it weekly.

Violet Park

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:27 am Reply with quote
For me the problem wasn't even the age gap, I can understand the appeal, but the stalking and everyone ignoring her wishes was just...why? What's the fantasy in that?
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:35 am Reply with quote
You know some days are one of those days: You wake up, you see something like this review, you wonder: Am I in the mood to ruin my day?

Thankfully, there are so many people here in the comments speaking common sense and expressing healthy viewpoints to a tricky subject matter, it's actually healing and refreshing. I'm really grateful for all the people reasonably pointing out the flaws of the reviewer's way of thinking. And the comparison with Higehiro is real: It is not a coincidence that the shoujo and josei genre is under much more scrutiny than the shounen/seinen counterpart and we don't talk about that enough. Gives off the impression that if the same subject is handled by men, for men, it's art. If it's by women, for women, it's probably a crime.

Now, as other people have said, all series should be subjected to criticism and I definitely agree with that. But Koikimo actually handled its hook rather maturely and respectfully, and in my opinion this depiction is far healthier than other romance series where tocixity, jealousy and manipulation are glamorized. Screaming against Koikimo is like screaming "DRAGON" and then pointing at a house gecko.

I highly recommend Koikimo to romance fans. It is a really enjoyable ride.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:12 am Reply with quote
Disclaimer: I haven't read this manga nor seen the anime, it doesn't seem like my cup of tea. But again, it's not my cup of tea, that's all. Just because I don't want what it offers doesn't necessarily make it bad.)

Violet Park wrote:
For me the problem wasn't even the age gap, I can understand the appeal, but the stalking and everyone ignoring her wishes was just...why? What's the fantasy in that?

What's the fantasy in humiliation? In manipulation? In being sexually abused or assaulted? and so on. ​Yet, these are all things people are fantasizing about, both in a romanticized way and otherwise. Sure, there are theories about why, for example, so many women enjoy fantasies about what in real life amounts to sexual assault by emotionally abusive guys, with various conclusions, but in the end fantasies touch on different parts of different people's psyches.

Fantasies are not meant to be rational, not meant to be explained, they don't have to "make sense" to anyone but the person fantasizing about them, or not even to them. Many people fantasize about things they don't approve of in real life, even things they would never ever want to do or experience in real life. Trying to explain them is interesting but ultimately pointless, and trying to police them is I think a terrible and oppressive idea.* Especially considering that women's fantasies are somehow always held to a different standard than men's... generally women are still often made to feel ashamed about having fantasies at all, let alone fantasies not deemed "right."

*Obviously there's a whole lot to be discussed about where to draw lines when it comes to what should or shouldn't be put out into the public and with what restrictions if any. But that's not what I'm trying to talk about here.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Daze3x wrote:
Honestly kinda feel bad for the reviewer. They have 2 whole paragraphs defending themselves from expected criticisms, except those two paragraphs should kinda be implied in any review that discusses material that may be considered problematic. It's extra sad because the criticisms they preemptively respond to are ones I see all the time whenever someone tries to suggest the material of a series might not be appropriate and they are met with a brigade of insults and bad faith complaints without actually substantively refuting the claims made in the review.

God THIS. I didn't watch the show outside of checking out seasonal premieres so I obviously wasn't planning on contributing any comments. But its sad to be able to just guess what the majority of the responses revolve around by nature of the show/number of comments.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The age gap complain in anime thingy is the same as the marring your cousin complain.

I don't get why is treated as a "Japan thing" when marring your cousin is legal in half of the USA.

Women falling for older men who represent stability and maturity it's pretty common both in fiction and reality, can't think of a sole 90s sitcom without an episode of a girl falling for the new teacher and the like.

Saved by the Bell had a whole arc about Kelly falling for a profesor and feminists complain that 20-something women are ok searching for men up to 50 years on Tinder but the oposite is not true.

Juliet was 13 years old, Romeo's age is not given, but he carries a sword thus he should be close to 18.

You can think it's ok or not, but it is not a Japanese fantasy, its a world fantasy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

The age gap complain in anime thingy is the same as the marring your cousin complain.

I don't get why is treated as a "Japan thing" when marring your cousin is legal in half of the USA.

Women falling for older men who represent stability and maturity it's pretty common both in fiction and reality, can't think of a sole 90s sitcom without an episode of a girl falling for the new teacher and the like.

Saved by the Bell had a whole arc about Kelly falling for a profesor and feminists complain that 20-something women are ok searching for men up to 50 years on Tinder but the oposite is not true.

I think the main issue is the age - so long as it's an adult, do whatever ya want

(Kelly was already in college, and that's why it's a professor)

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Juliet was 13 years old, Romeo's age is not given, but he carries a sword thus he should be close to 18.

C'mon, that was written in the 1500s, when even European kings in their 30s were expected to marry off to princesses in their early 10s, so Juliet's and Romeo's ages were the least of the issue

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

You can think it's ok or not, but it is not a Japanese fantasy, its a world fantasy.

It's an age-inappropriate** bodice ripper Laughing

(** At least, inappropriate in the developed world, but in many underdeveloped countries, it's not unexpected for teenage girls to marry early for financial stability reasons)

Btw, just as a sidenote, Japan's new law for age of adulthood will drop from age 20 to 18 next year

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
I've seen a good number of discussions on it, across the diaspora, but I'm not Asian and I won't speak for them. I feel like I sometimes see joseimuke fans having these discussions on Twitter, and I don't use many other sites that Japanese people use for social media to really follow it there, but I guess if one really wanted to dig deeper, the convo is out there.

I like age gap myself, and I tend to enjoy it in shojo, josei and TL alike. And I have seen the trend of age gap going both directions more often lately, but only with mild commentary on the shift. But I think like all things, it comes down to the handling. And people of a marginalized group can be just as guilty as perpetuating problems, regardless of why they indulge it, and it shouldn't be free of criticism. Especially if it's reaching a wider audience and available to the public, it should always be examined.

You should definitely try to get opinions other than Asian diaspora, because depending on how they were raised, some are lack the cultural understanding of what makes certain themes popular.

Last edited by Ming Yi on Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
As someone who hasn't watched the show (but I'm slightly considering it), I wonder if some of the issues could have been solved by making Ichika a freshman in college. That way you still have the dynamic of younger girl x salaryman, but you don't have the issue of "she's literally underaged". Though that wouldn't make Ryo's unwanted advances any less creepy, they at least wouldn't be illegal.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
As someone who hasn't watched the show (but I'm slightly considering it), I wonder if some of the issues could have been solved by making Ichika a freshman in college. That way you still have the dynamic of younger girl x salaryman, but you don't have the issue of "she's literally underaged". Though that wouldn't make Ryo's unwanted advances any less creepy, they at least wouldn't be illegal.

You, and a lot of the "anti" posters seem to be missing the point, the fantasy is that a successful, attractive, adult who can (and has) get any woman he wants, falls purely in love with a high school girl. It is the inherent power imbalance that is overturned by his pure love for her that makes the fantasy. Even in the smuttiest josei, there is usually that "I can't control myself around her" or "I would do anything for her" groove, The woman's power is not societal (wealth, power, etc.), but personal (she is inherently desirable/irresistable because of who she is).

And to other posters before you go "Oh, Japan" all over this, take a quick look at the standard Harlequin/bodice rippers and see what those fantasies are about.

[Edit: removed personal attack. Errinundra.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4