• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tales of Symphonia the Animation (OAV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it isn't available in Australia. Bummer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I had held out for 14 years begging and pleading for these OVAs to be released in the USA. The day I heard Crunchyroll had picked up the streaming rights, I cried tears of joy. Tales of Symphonia remains my favorite JRPG of all time. So many memories of my sibling and I going through game guides/word docs/ as we kept track of everything through our five playthroughs. Heck when we were in college, they had spent the night. When they found out I was right at the final boss on the PS3 version. They told me to hand them a controller cus we were gonna fight it together. To this very day my sibling and I can jump right back into the game and tag team it.

Even though I know how the game ends. The OVAs still hit different (in a good way). I cannot wait to have this anime on my shelf right next to my GameCube and PS3 Collectors Edition copy. Ending spoilers spoiler[I cried so hard when Kratos shielded Lloyd as debris fell and when Kratos hugged Lloyd at the. I live for the father/son moments. To all of you who's dad's are still with you. Give them a hug for me.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
For a series of OVA's trying to adapt an entire saga of a game, I thought they did a pretty good job. Some stuff they took out or didn't focus on that were a bit of a bummer, but they captured some of the most important moments very well and Ufotable really delivered on the animation.

Well, that and the bonus shorts were pretty hilarious.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:19 am Reply with quote
pixelatedlenses wrote:
You know what: you've got a really good point. Honestly, Tales of Symphonia could have been released this year and I'd still have been like, "Wow, this is really easy on the eyes!" I definitely agree: I'd have loved a dub for this because the dub cast is so iconic. This was actually my first time hearing the Japanese cast, and it was a bit strange because I'm so used to hearing Scott Menville as Lloyd that it took me a minute to get used to hearing Katsuyuki Konishi's voice. Still, not bad though like... ugh, I want that dub, haha!

I would die as a happy woman to have this dubbed. Cam Clarke as Kratos is iconic to me.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:09 am Reply with quote
So this anime has better fight scenes than Abyss? I remember being disappointed as heck by the dynamic their coreographies
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
didn't Zestiria have an anime that eclipsed its very polarizing game and was positively received, here as well
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:20 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
So this anime has better fight scenes than Abyss? I remember being disappointed as heck by the dynamic their coreographies

I liked the fights in the Abyss anime (aside from how they adapted the first Van boss fight) but this has pretty great action sequences. I think this is where Ufotable started making a name for themselves in the anime community (and kind of set up their becoming the go-to Tales studio).
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading about this anime adaptation in Nintendo Power way back when, and I'm so happy to see it officially available for westerners to watch. Hopefully we get a solid Blu-Ray release soon after as this is one of the greatest JRPG adventures out there and the adaptation is a masterclass in game adaptations.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:56 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
didn't Zestiria have an anime that eclipsed its very polarizing game and was positively received, here as well

I don't know if it can be stated that it eclipsed it's source.

Both Zesteria and Symphonia's adaptations heavily suffered from truncating important story beats and limiting the supporting cast. Normally limiting the supporting cast is a good thing, unless you've played the game and understand that even the supporting cast in the tales games comes with a fully fleshed out and meaningful addition to the story. In my opinion that ulitimately hurt both of these adaptations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2